2022 mustang gt cam swap

Tyler22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt auto
Can’t seem to find much info (dyno gains, install info, sound clips) regarding a stage 2 cam swap for a 2022 mustang gt. Anyone got anything?
Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Can’t seem to find much info (dyno gains, install info, sound clips) regarding a stage 2 cam swap for a 2022 mustang gt. Anyone got anything?
That's because there are 4 cams to change. It's expensive and the gains aren't usually worth it for most people.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
What he said. Unless going for all out NA or opposed to FI the money is better spent on FI; is what most people conclude. Though some people still do it. Seems like 35-50ish hp NA, but that might have been Gen2. Sound should be almost the same with the VCTs. I am doing comp stage 2 blower cams on my build, but I pretty much did everything else and at that point I figured why not.

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
Expensive mod to do na (unless you have the specialty tools, skill and experience to do the labor yourself) and with supporting mods, can be the same cost as forced induction, with 200 hp less

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
I wouldn't think there would be a need for a cam swap in a Coyote. That's the entire purpose of a VVT cylinder head design. Or a swap that would be worth the time, effort and $$$. On a pushrod engine, yes you would want to do a cam swap so the engine can breathe at higher RPMs. In a Coyote, the VVT performs like a "normal" cam at lower rpms, lower power needs. But as the demand signal from the driver requesting more power increases, the computer and VVT system "adjust" the lobe and duration for more air. From what I've read, the Coyote is already very volumetric efficient because of the VVT and 4 valves per cylinder. The combined size of the valves in the Coyote maybe dimensionally smaller than the valves in a LS/LT but, the 4 valve design can still flow more air. The trade off for the 4 cams and VVT is size and complexity. Just my .02, but I get the need for more power....

Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
I wouldn't think there would be a need for a cam swap in a Coyote. That's the entire purpose of a VVT cylinder head design. Or a swap that would be worth the time, effort and $$$. On a pushrod engine, yes you would want to do a cam swap so the engine can breathe at higher RPMs. In a Coyote, the VVT performs like a "normal" cam at lower rpms, lower power needs. But as the demand signal from the driver requesting more power increases, the computer and VVT system "adjust" the lobe and duration for more air. From what I've read, the Coyote is already very volumetric efficient because of the VVT and 4 valves per cylinder. The combined size of the valves in the Coyote maybe dimensionally smaller than the valves in a LS/LT but, the 4 valve design can still flow more air. The trade off for the 4 cams and VVT is size and complexity. Just my .02, but I get the need for more power....
VCT can't change the size of the lobes/lift.

I'm installing the Comp cams and valvetrain upgrades in my '22. I probably wouldn't have done it if I had to pay for labor. Not that it's cheap by any means. I like that it's not what everyone else does and the power result is more useable on the street in a tire that is reasonable in corners.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@deanm11, will you please consider documenting the cam install process on your ‘22 GT? I’ve been on and off the fence about cams myself. It would be nice to see a detailed write up on it.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think what you're thinking about is variable lift like VW does.

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
@deanm11, will you please consider documenting the cam install process on your ‘22 GT? I’ve been on and off the fence about cams myself. It would be nice to see a detailed write up on it.
K, I will look to do that for the community.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
My personal opinion. If you don’t lock your VCT and run springs, cams I feel really aren’t worth it.

Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
My personal opinion. If you don’t lock your VCT and run springs, cams I feel really aren’t worth it.
I'm going halfway as far as that goes- retaining VCT and upgrading to 1281X springs and titanium retainers. It's all apart anyway so it's a few hundred more. I don't think the valves are properly controlled with stock springs above 7500rpm. Comp "NSR" means no springs required to factory redline.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
I'm going halfway as far as that goes- retaining VCT and upgrading to 1281X springs and titanium retainers. It's all apart anyway so it's a few hundred more. I don't think the valves are properly controlled with stock springs above 7500rpm. Comp "NSR" means no springs required to factory redline.
yeah if it’s already apart there’s no harm. You’re right about the rpm range though!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
What he said. Unless going for all out NA or opposed to FI the money is better spent on FI; is what most people conclude. Though some people still do it. Seems like 35-50ish hp NA, but that might have been Gen2. Sound should be almost the same with the VCTs. I am doing comp stage 2 blower cams on my build, but I pretty much did everything else and at that point I figured why not.

There are a lot of us that want to stay NA.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS