2022 GT500 last year to be built?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I agree. I hate that electric is going to be the new normal. People think it causes “less” pollution but don’t think about how those lithium batteries are made and the pollution they create in that process. Also, what happens when these batteries die? Where are they going to go?
Not only that but I don't think we have the power generation capability to support all electric. Also, in places like mine, there is no difference in "pollution" because all our power is petroleum-based fuels (whether diesel, fuel oil, etc.). Also our electricity cost is at least 300% higher than anywhere on the mainland. The only way for us to have "green" power is to shut down all our conventional power plants and build a state-of-the-art nuclear power plant here. I'm certain that they're much safer, more efficient, etc. since it's been over 2 decades since one has been built in the U.S. from what I've read.
Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
The gas v8 isn't going away. It's the usual every other decade scare. All electric can't and won't happen. Yes companies have to invest in it to stay viable in other markets, but its all on paper that these companies will be all electric by 2025, 2030, and 2035. I find myself getting anxious over the hype, but then step back and look at reality and things get better. Remember mid 2000s the v8 was supposed to die and anemic 3 and 4 cylinder hybrids were supposed to be all that would be available. Performance cars were supposed to cease to exist. The biggest threat to the v8 and Performance car is that the next generations generally only care about cars on video games.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Base, 2016 Audi S7, 2013 Ford Explorer, 2002 HD Sportster Sport, 1988 Boston Whaler

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Tough to really say, a new administration could slow the electric push as forcing everyone to electric is not realistic anytime soon. That said, I would not be surprised if this was the last V8, only time will tell! I think the indicator will be the demise of the 5.0 V8, that is when we’ll know.

Kane00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Past: F40, 512M, 512, Diablo SE30, LM002, 360 Stad
Look kids, I don't own an electric car, won't buy one soon soon. But those of you that have the "v-8 aint goinag away (in my best hillbilly accent) are delusional. This is the future and it's not the companies "saying this' they are putting all of their resoures into it. Read Ford's company public share holder report if you like. The GT500 is going to be a last of a breed. Its one of the main reason I bought one. You are not seeing cars like this agian. Just my opinion and everyone is free to spend their dollars however they like. My GT500 is going right next to my 812. Last in line as Dio says.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think many are overthinking the electric thing. Big V8s as we know them will go away..... probably not too far from now. I believe that. But I do think that a hybrid system is more likely. Look at the McLaren P1, La Ferrari, and the Porsche 918. You will see from performance divisions of the big 3 with something along these lines. Why? Because this kind of technology can still utilize an internal combustion engine in combination with electric. Combine the two, and you have superior performance, but at the same time demonstrate very high fuel efficiency to meet regulatory demands.

Everyone calm down. The performance market isn't going to go 100% electric overnight

Kane00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Past: F40, 512M, 512, Diablo SE30, LM002, 360 Stad
I think many are overthinking the electric thing. Big V8s as we know them will go away..... probably not too far from now. I believe that. But I do think that a hybrid system is more likely. Look at the McLaren P1, La Ferrari, and the Porsche 918. You will see from performance divisions of the big 3 with something along these lines. Why? Because this kind of technology can still utilize an internal combustion engine in combination with electric. Combine the two, and you have superior performance.

Everyone calm down. The performance market isn't going to go 100% electric overnight
Exactly.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was trying to add one more important bit of info on an edit before your quote.

Governments regulate. Engineers design. The loss of a big V8 doesn't mean that performance will go away. It will just be transformed into a platform that demonstrates efficiency but can also out perform the standalone big V8

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Look kids, I don't own an electric car, won't buy one soon soon. But those of you that have the "v-8 aint goinag away (in my best hillbilly accent) are delusional. This is the future and it's not the companies "saying this' they are putting all of their resoures into it. Read Ford's company public share holder report if you like. The GT500 is going to be a last of a breed. Its one of the main reason I bought one. You are not seeing cars like this agian. Just my opinion and everyone is free to spend their dollars however they like. My GT500 is going right next to my 812. Last in line as Dio says.
It’s definitely the future, but not the immediate future. The manufacturers can pump all their money into development of the electric cars but unless they want to also pick up the tab for the power grid, how are all of these cars going to recharge? California can’t keep the lights on right now as it is. How are they going to support charging a vast number of electric cars anytime soon? As Tomster said, it will be a transition towards some type of hybrid technology. Smaller engines with a supplemental electric motor make sense and should be expected sooner rather than later. The idea that in 10 years every driveway will have electric cars is not realistic.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It’s definitely the future, but not the immediate future. The manufacturers can pump all their money into development of the electric cars but unless they want to also pick up the tab for the power grid, how are all of these cars going to recharge? California can’t keep the lights on right now as it is. How are they going to support charging a vast number of electric cars anytime soon? As Tomster said, it will be a transition towards some type of hybrid technology. Smaller engines with a supplemental electric motor make sense and should be expected sooner rather than later. The idea that in 10 years every driveway will have electric cars is not realistic.
People are not getting it. We are not going all electric overnight.

coolpixer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2008 S197, 2009 CTS, 1982 CJ7, 2015 C300, SuperCub
One thing is for sure. We will all be here trying to scoop up the latest version of the awesome hybrid gt500 @1000hp and 80mpg with no ADM
Sponsored