Sponsored

2022 10R80 - Violent Downshifts Into 1st Gear

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
My 2022 2.3L HPP is at ~2800 miles after 4 months of ownership, and it has started to develop an ominous tendency for brutally violent downshifts into 1st gear when coming to a stop. What do I mean by violent? I grew up driving manual transmission cars, and this feels like stalling a manual at a stop because you forgot to clutch-in. It's THAT violent. There are two specific driving patterns that seem to make it happen: (1) shift out of reverse to drive, move the car a short bit, then stop (think backing out of the garage, straightening the car in the driveway, then stopping), and (2) aggressively accelerate followed immediately by an abrupt stop. The former happened over this past weekend as my wife was walking towards the car, and she told me the entire car shook visibly when it crashed into 1st and came to a stop.

I've tried driving in Sport, and it gets worse: downshifts into 1st, 4-3, and 8-7 downshifts are all harsh.

There is a noticeable improvement after the transmission warms up, which is leading me to think I have an under-filled condition. Guess it's going to require a trip back to the dealer service department to (hopefully) sort out.

I have 105K miles on a 2011 5.0L 6R80, and aside from a flush-and-refill at 60K miles (regular preventative maintenance), the 6R has required ZERO work and shifts smooth as glass. I chose the to go the 10R route because I didn't want to deal with the MT82 and all its well-documented woes. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to regret that decision.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I would start with a trans reset and relearn (disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes) and checking the level of the fluid.

Other than that, bring it in to the dealer. That is not how a 10R behaves. It's not the smoothest of transmissions out there, but it's certainly not "violent" when operating properly.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I had that exact same issue last year.

I forget which TSB applies. But they will want to re-flash your TCM (or whatever the transmission bit is called) and to retrain the computer. For me, this did not work. They also checked the fluid level- which was normal.

Many months later they took the valve body apart. The tech wrote "lots of debris in valve body"
I suspect you will have a similar diagnosis. They will clean it out, replace a part or two and send you on your way.

This valve body rework HELPED, the downshifts are smoother than they were...but they are still more harsh than they were when the car was new... I have been to two Ford dealers, talked to all their techs and managers. They all say that's just how these 10r80s are šŸ™„ At my two dealers say they have SEVERAL MONTH waiting list to see their transmission tech. I honestly believe that Ford has serious problems with these transmissions.

I am not a fan of the 10R80. Granted I have only driven three vehicles with the 10R80 (two of them being Mustangs)

Last edited:

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
Iā€™m glad I got the mt82. I didnā€™t know the 10r80 had so many issues. I know the mt has a lot of issues posted but I have had 0 problems on mine and I have boost with 682 rwhp. But I honestly would never buy an auto sports car. Whereā€™s the fun? I just feel a lot more in control with the manual. I know Iā€™ll have to replace it eventually but itā€™s been on boost for 2 years and itā€™s still going strong. I also drive it aggressive. I just canā€™t floor in in first as I just wonā€™t go anywhere.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thereā€™s a gigantic thread on the 10R80. A lot of us 2022 owners had transmissions that did not get full fluid fills from the factory which caused harsh shifting. Once the fluid was topped off and the trans was reset, itā€™s been smooth sailing. Iā€™d suggest having your dealer check your trans fluid level

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
does it register on the dash accelerometer lol?

OP
OP
TrueBlue22

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
TrueBlue22

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thereā€™s a gigantic thread on the 10R80. A lot of us 2022 owners had transmissions that did not get full fluid fills from the factory which caused harsh shifting. Once the fluid was topped off and the trans was reset, itā€™s been smooth sailing. Iā€™d suggest having your dealer check your trans fluid level
Yeah, I've spent some time browsing that thread (all 53-odd pages of it) and concur that the first step is a fluid level check and learning re-set.