Sponsored

2021 STANG GT w Roush Blower & 4200 miles -> Engine or Exhaust noises? Opinions are welcome- Vid's listed to hear.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Hi Guys-

Here is the ENGINE/EXHAUST/HEADER or CATALYTIC CONVERTER noises in 4 small video links, i uploaded from youtube. The engine only makes the noises when HOT and revving or driving under throttle load, it increases with RPM. You can can hear it clearly on drivers side front wheel well near header & catalytic converter area.
The noise sounds like a metallic "TICKING-TINKING", microwave popping-popcorn sound or Oven Igniter sound. This car has never made these noises in the 4200 miles that i have owned it, definitely a new issue. Running motorcraft 5W50 oil, 3rd change already... Actually started making noises last friday on last oil change 4055 miles.

Thank you,
Anthony

#1)

#2)

#3)

#4)
Sponsored

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
I hear it. Is that the bbq tick? Have you tried ceretec?

What did the dealer say?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
BBQ tick, they all seem to do it. As far as I'm concerned it's more of an issue if you don't have it. My motor didn't start doing it until 8 or 9000 miles I think?

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I hear it. Is that the bbq tick? Have you tried ceretec?

What did the dealer say?
Hi , thanks for reply. Bringing to dealer Thursday. I initially thought it was an exhaust header leak, or melted cat.. but now after hearing all the vids on this bbq tick, maybe that instead.
No, never tried ceratec yet. This noise did start after an oil change though.
Thanks Anthony

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
BBQ tick, they all seem to do it. As far as I'm concerned it's more of an issue if you don't have it. My motor didn't start doing it until 8 or 9000 miles I think?
Thanks for reply. Wow!!! Really? Mine doesnt do at idle, only when revving it. Mine started last Friday at 4055 miles, after oil change.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The first vid sounds like either valve train or heat shield. You did not rev it high enough to really tell.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You'll get a wide range of responses on this. I've had the bbq in two of my last mustangs. However, the tick was during idling not during acceleration.

My current 2019 has what you have as well as the idle tick (and 2k rattle). Idle tick went away with thicker/track oil. But, I still get that tick when pulling away from garage. Some say it's belt tensioner and there's TSB out for it. Others say it's the fuel injectors. I'm sure ford will chalk it up as "normal". As long as it's not piston slap I'm good.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
The first vid sounds like either valve train or heat shield. You did not rev it high enough to really tell.
I revved it to about 3500rpms and off vid you can hear it clear as day, the video doesnt do the noise justice. Thanks for reply!!!!

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
You'll get a wide range of responses on this. I've had the bbq in two of my last mustangs. However, the tick was during idling not during acceleration.

My current 2019 has what you have as well as the idle tick (and 2k rattle). Idle tick went away with thicker/track oil. But, I still get that tick when pulling away from garage. Some say it's belt tensioner and there's TSB out for it. Others say it's the fuel injectors. I'm sure ford will chalk it up as "normal". As long as it's not piston slap I'm good.
Thank you for replying. =) Just as long as this noise wont damage engine, I can deal with it even though I dont like it .. how many miles do u have on current stang? I cant run thicker oil, I'm already at 5W50 die to roush blower. I know, it's not direct injection fuel pump, car has never made this noise since new. Same here dude!!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It sounds twice half crank speed so that is why I suspect valve train. However it sounds like it sweeps through, gets louder then goes away as you rev it, that points to a heat shield or some other thing vibrating.

Best I can do with the vid.
Edit, oops typo :)

Hope you find it, that would make me get rid of the car.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
It sounds twice crank speed so that is why I suspect valve train. However it sounds like it sweeps through, gets louder then goes away as you rev it, that points to a heat shield or some other thing vibrating.

Best I can do with the vid.

Hope you find it, that would make me get rid of the car.
Thanks for reply!! Yeah, it's weird because at idle it's dead quiet. I thought I blew a header gasket or maybe a Cat sizzling.. because the roush tune on track mode has all that burble and cracking and popping bullshit. Maybe I damaged the exhaust system while driving spiritedly 1 day.
I hope so too, I'm bringing it to a exhasut/speed shop first to check it wednesday.. I trust him more than dealer Thursday morning. The car is too damn new to be having these bulkshit issues and noises. Your right, about junking it because of noise, I'm same way. I really love the car, but I'm not dealing w nonsense via car or dealer. And I just dropped the phase 2 roush blower on car in may 2021, got car in march 2021.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Put atleast one bottle of ceratec in your oil, 2 would be the full dose. May fix that. I think my motor used to have this sound before ceratec (along with other bad sounds).

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Put atleast one bottle of ceratec in your oil, 2 would be the full dose. May fix that. I think my motor used to have this sound before ceratec (along with other bad sounds).
Thanks 4 reply, already got 2 bottles. Waiting for dealership visit tomorrow and see what they gotta say... and find.. then slap it in afterwards.
Thanks, Anthony

20210929_211040.jpg

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks 4 reply, already got 2 bottles. Waiting for dealership visit tomorrow and see what they gotta say... and find.. then slap it in afterwards.
Thanks, Anthony

20210929_211040.jpg
Any update from dealer?

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Any update from dealer?
Hi, yes. They couldnt find anything wrong with exhaust, no leaks, broken heatsheilds or rubbing or hitting . So, I guess it's the engine typewriter tick. I added 2 bottles of ceratec and noise is gone.
Thanks, Anthony
Sponsored