cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
2_A.jpg

I really like it, too. But then I'm an S197 owner and that, to me, looks like what an evolution of the S197 might have looked like.

I don't think Ford will play the retro look again though.....although certain things I'd like to see return, like the hockey stick side design. But the '22MY needs to have a modern look, whilst still keeping a few traditional cues.

I'd also like to see a return of the "dorito" rear 3/4 window......that is a very unique Mustang look. I don't think it'll happen though.
Looks great to me, but again Ford will not go backward to a very S197 look. That would have been the S550 if anything, not the Gen7. But I feel Mustang folks would have had the same comments as Camaro 6G, too similar in overall shape to the last gen had this one been the 6G Mustang.
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Just my opinion, but that seems like a 90's concept. Sorry I know how much you love it

This is not bad. Similar to what we have now and has that Aston Martin vibe. But it's too soft.

I want aggresive evolution of the current form. These are the examples I always point to.
I like the aggressive design, but this is way to Camaro bunker like. Please make it livable.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Don't make me get out the M6G thumbscrews :paddle:

:p
Go get 'em Turbo. We did not have this conversation. In 6 seconds, this post will self destruct. :ninja:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Some interesting information that was pointed out to me.....

Does this mean Carl Widmann (current Mustang Chief Engineer) is being replaced? As I'm sure you know, Carl Widmann took over from Dave Pericak (Dave was Mustang Chief Engineer for the '15 S550......Carl then took over and delivered the '18 refresh)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-m-f-celentino-a8aa5814

Chief Program Engineer S650 Program
Ford Motor Company
May 2017 – Present (1 year 1 month)Dearborn, Michigan

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Yes

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
:eyebulge:

I remember Hau Thai-Tang (who held the role for the introduction of the S197) said, in A Faster Horse, something along the lines of "if you're a successful Mustang Chief Engineer you go on to do better things, if not you go on to do other things......."

Looks aside (and familiarity seems to be softening many early harsh opinions), the '18 was very well received, especially in the way it drives, and the new tech employed. I'd hope Mr Widmann is going onto better things....

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I don't think Ford will play the retro look again though.....although certain things I'd like to see return, like the hockey stick side design. But the '22MY needs to have a modern look, whilst still keeping a few traditional cues.
With the huge success in europe and other export markets I doubt that we see a retro inspired 7th Gen Mustang. I expect that they continue what they did with the facelift and making it look even more like a european coupe with softer lines and a low hood. Like a two-door A5 sportsback styling. Especially with in mind that all sedans are being scrapped in US, maybe the Mustang will become a more practical car.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
2_A.jpg

I really like it, too. But then I'm an S197 owner and that, to me, looks like what an evolution of the S197 might have looked like.

I'd also like to see a return of the "dorito" rear 3/4 window......that is a very unique Mustang look. I don't think it'll happen though.
I know, reviving an old thread but I only joined a month ago.

Really love this. Agree it looks more like an evolution of the S197 and probably not ideal for the next gen, but I think it's what the S550 should have been (except with more modern looking headlights). I love the lines of the S550 but have always thought the grill was a little too much wannabe Aston Martin.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
So latest news from patent filings are electric motors driving the front wheels as I'd hoped. AWD to finally put the power down!!!

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...d-could-pair-v8-with-electric-front-axle.html

"A new patent application filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office could provide some insight into what’s in store for the Ford Mustang Hybrid.

The patent application, which was filed by Ford way back in July of 2017 but only published this week, is described as being for a “twin motor drive system for hybrid vehicle.” This drivetrain setup would comprise a longitudinally mounted engine that sends power to the rear wheels, along with an electric motor mounted on each of the front wheels."

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I know, reviving an old thread but I only joined a month ago.

Really love this. Agree it looks more like an evolution of the S197 and probably not ideal for the next gen, but I think it's what the S550 should have been (except with more modern looking headlights). I love the lines of the S550 but have always thought the grill was a little too much wannabe Aston Martin.
There was a very 69/70 S650 concept at one point.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ford-platforms-hau-thai-tang-interview/

Hau Thai-Tang: We shifted from nine platforms under One Ford to five flexible architectures. The first is unitized body, front-wheel drive/all-wheel drive. This underpins the new Focus just launched in Europe. Eventually, a lot of our other C-sized products will come off this flexible architecture. Next is unitized body, but rear-wheel drive/all-wheel drive underpinning the new Explorer and the Lincoln Aviator. All rear-drive unitized body products will come off this architecture. The third is commercial vehicles, being led out of Europe for the next-generation Transit products.

Mustang will at some point shift to the Explorer/Aviator architecture, correct?

Our goal is to migrate all our products onto those five flexible architectures. We don’t want to proliferate “orphan architectures” going forward. At the end of the day, we have to make sure the business case works

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Many people are tracking as such, but not sure if it is or isn't.

Would be exciting if its on the same platform as the explorer.

Extruded aluminum impact beam, magnesium front end module, extruded aluminum engine bay rails, cast aluminum shock towers, lots of scalping in the body structure, HSS roll formed inner rocker structure, and under cabin engine bay rails that splay outwards to the rockers leaving plenty of room for batteries. And may given us the weight advantage back, while crashing better.

Last edited:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'm guessing if S650 is a '23MY, the styling will have been signed off by now? I hope more of the '69/'70 look makes it into S650 as those Fastbacks were the epitome of muscle Mustangs for me :sunglasses:
Could not agree more. My cousin was just at the Scottsdale Barrett Jackson auction and bought a 69 fastback and 70 Mach 1 428. Both are amazing, my favorite two body styles to date!

Status
Not open for further replies.