Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The yet to be launched, Supra? Based off a 2 seat BMW roadster? :tsk:

One of the key requirements for me is the Mustang is a genuine, usable 2+2 with a decent trunk.

14 years ago, I was the driver of a 300zx (hence my Twin Turbo name).....and I was very tempted with the (then) new 350z.....however, the birth of my daughter meant I needed back seats. I nearly went for a Monaro (your Pontiac GTO) but I saw the light and bought an S197.

Now, with a my daughter 13 years old and my son 9 years old, I can still look forward to weekend trips away with the family in the Mustang.

So, in my opinion, if they're sticking with a modified S550, we've just averted a (small) disaster :thumbsup:
I doubt they would abandon the 2+2 design, that's a key criteria for a mustang. I think the Supra is going to be a 2+2 as well

That's exactly what i was thinking. 3 inches of overhang shaved off the length and perhaps tone down on the wheel wells a bit (i feel they are a bit too damn large) for a tighter body, and basically keep everything else the same. Honestly the current mustang has a lot of wasted space in both the front and rear for the namesake of form over function, something that hopefully will be eliminated in the next stang!
Agreed, but I wouldn't change the wheel wells... the size of them works well with the look of the car (I hate the look of small wheel well/tall belt line), and the width gives the car aggression. But the front and rear overhangs are a good bit more prominent than they should be
Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt they would abandon the 2+2 design, that's a key criteria for a mustang. I think the Supra is going to be a 2+2 as well

Agreed, but I wouldn't change the wheel wells... the size of them works well with the look of the car (I hate the look of small wheel well/tall belt line), and the width gives the car aggression. But the front and rear overhangs are a good bit more prominent than they should be
Agreed, plus imagine the insurance rates on a 2 seat Mustang making this kind of power.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
The supra isn't necessarily that small... it's also a grand tourer style car like the Mustang is. Even the upcoming one, being based on a Z4 platform, isn't really significantly smaller than an M4. Being that American cars are always bigger (as it's sort of the appeal of american cars), I'd guess that their target of a "Supra Fighter" means advanced weight balancing and suspension geometry, but more M4-esque size.

You know a lot more than I do, though. Don't mean to try and discredit you at all, just sharing my interpretation :cheers:
Once the car is out I guess more people will be able to speak about this and give us a more detailed information and yes, I meant the upcoming Z4 based Supra. The purpose of all of this was to reduce weight (by offering a significantly smaller Mustang). The plan was to reduce the size and move to the next segment below the mustang (proportions-wise). Let’s say keeping the proportions of a Foxbody Mustang or a 2+2 300ZX.

The yet to be launched, Supra? Based off a 2 seat BMW roadster? :tsk:

One of the key requirements for me is the Mustang is a genuine, usable 2+2 with a decent trunk.

14 years ago, I was the driver of a 300zx (hence my Twin Turbo name).....and I was very tempted with the (then) new 350z.....however, the birth of my daughter meant I needed back seats. I nearly went for a Monaro (your Pontiac GTO) but I saw the light and bought an S197.

Now, with a my daughter 13 years old and my son 9 years old, I can still look forward to weekend trips away with the family in the Mustang.

So, in my opinion, if they're sticking with a modified S550, we've just averted a (small) disaster :thumbsup:
Yes, the “yet to be launched” Supra. The Mustang was going to continue being a 2+2 Car.... but having a (just guessing, however in the same ballpark) 100-102 in wheelbase and a length of around 180 in.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Why was your brother disappointed?

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Could it be something similar to the SN95 in size?

The SN95 was:
101.3in wheelbase
181.4in length
183.2in length (New Edge)

Let’s imagine a 2022MY Mustang GT (Base) with the SN95 size and curb weight (3,300lb) plus the Mustang Bullitt HP rating (I hope that’s the base engine rating by 2022). It would be SICK. So sad it’s not gonna happen.

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Could it be something similar to the SN95 in size?

The SN95 was:
101.3in wheelbase
181.4in length
183.2in length (New Edge)

Let’s imagine a 2022MY Mustang GT (Base) with the SN95 size and curb weight (3,300lb) plus the Mustang Bullitt HP rating (I hope that’s the base engine rating by 2022). It would be SICK. So sad it’s not gonna happen.
I'm sure the base GT will be rated at 500hp by then. As far as weight goes, 3400lbs wouldn't be crazy.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I'm sure the base GT will be rated at 500hp by then. As far as weight goes, 3400lbs wouldn't be crazy.
3400 would still be a 300lb cut over the current Mustang GT which in my opinion I don’t see it very likely and almost impossible) with it’s current size.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Taking a page out of the Foxbody Playbook isn't a bad idea. Its a car that has converted the most die hard chevy guys to race a ford. That and they couldnt beat em.... But it just goes to show how good and how affordable the Foxbody was/is.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
IMHO...I believe the overall size, dimensions and weight of next generation Mustang could and should be relatively comparable to specifications the of the ‘65-‘68 models.

The ‘65-‘66 cars offered a compact front end design with relatively little overhang.
The ‘67-‘68 models offered a real fastback roofline...while front end dimensions and overhang increased to accommodate the FE 390.

I’m certainly not an automotive engineer or designer, but I can’t imagine why the next generation Mustang could not combine a more compact and tidy front end appearance with a true fastback roofline...to. maintain the classic Mustang long hood / short deck DNA.
I understand there crash test standards and performance/reliabilty variables like cooling to consider and achieve.

Other than that, I’m not suggesting any kind of retro-type design, but rather body lines shapes and proportions that project an very purposeful and powerful presence on the street, riding on a longer and maybe wider wheelbase with wheels out at the four corners.
But, unmistakably a Mustang.
3450-3600 lbs
NA 4.7L (289 did) Coyote for GT
EB 4.7L for GT500?

My .02 cents:D

MX5NDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16’ F-150, 17’GTI sport, 16 FiST, 16 MX5 club
I was really hoping a lighter all around platform was being developed. I prefer light and nimble but always wish for more powoar!

I’m still eagerly looking for a mustang, I have always been a fan yet never owned one.

I wills just keep driving my heavily modified 16 MX5 club in the meantime ; )

Although I might consider the new MKIV FoRS when it comes out.

Cheers

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yes, the “yet to be launched” Supra. The Mustang was going to continue being a 2+2 Car.... but having a (just guessing, however in the same ballpark) 100-102 in wheelbase and a length of around 180 in.
Hmm, the BRZ is a 2+2 as well, but not a very usable one.

I certainly don't mind them shaving an inch or two here and there, but I think a drastic change like that would put many people off buying one, me included.

Anyway, sounds like that's not happening now :)

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
UPV = Some sort of Prototype Vehicle
PA = Program Approval
FAA = Final Appearance Approval
FDJ = Final Data Adjustment
VP = Verification Prototypes
PEC = Preliminary Engineering Completion
FEC = Final Engineering Completion
LR = Launch Readiness
TT = Tooling trials
LS = Launch Sign-of
PP = Pilot Production
J1 = Job 1 / Start of Production
MP = Mass production

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
UPV = Some sort of Prototype Vehicle
PA = Program Approval
FAA = Final Appearance Approval
FDJ = Final Data Adjustment
VP = Verification Prototypes
PEC = Preliminary Engineering Completion
FEC = Final Engineering Completion
LR = Launch Readiness
TT = Tooling trials
LS = Launch Sign-of
PP = Pilot Production
J1 = Job 1 / Start of Production
MP = Mass production
This “timeline” just changed a few months ago (for example VP phase won’t be called like that anymore) since Ford is now using a new “system” (let’s call it like that) however this terms are very accurate.

So... I remember a few months ago that someone in here (was it you TopNotch?) said that tooling trials (TT) will be on the fourth quarter of this year and that VP Happened on the first quarter of the year. Thanks to that we know what we are looking at right now.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
PEC and FEC are supposed to have finished up... for first CD6's...dunno if Mustang was part of that batch

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
If Ford made the next Mustang a little titchy thing there is no way I'd buy one. There are plenty of squity little sports cars around to choose from.

Given a choice between a midget Mustang and a Jaguar I'd choose a Jaguar.

That is Jag, you, argh, not Jag, waar.
If you’re referring to the F-Type, I love that car, but it’s by no means “little”. :p
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.