Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
One difference I would personally LOVE to see for the S650 (and something that could help with shaving length from the car, therefore shaving weight without restricting cargo capacity) is if Ford could find a way to tuck the engine further back closer to the cabin. It sounds absurd because the first instinct is "that's impossible with a big V8", but GM has been doing it since the days of the 4th gen camaros.

Now, I know that our engines are a good bit wider up top than a pushrod LS/LT, but considering that that area of the cabin houses the dashboard, would it really have much impact on the interior space? Would it really be that hard to do effectively? Looking at the S550 engine bay, I think if the waistline of the S650 remained about the same height as the S550, it would be possible to perhaps lower the engine about half an inch (Composite/carbon fiber oil pan with maybe a dry sump system?) and create some space in the firewall to push the engine back

This kind of change would result in reducing front overhang which could contribute to better driving characteristics (having a better idea of where the front end is), reducing weight due to the smaller proportions, and improving the location of mass weight (with the engine being pushed lower and more towards the center of the car). Now, I'm by no means a qualified engineer, but this just seems to make sense to me, considering some of the best handling cars out there (Honda S2000, Mazda Miata, supposedly the new TVR Griffith, etc.) are all considered Front-Mid Engined (FR setup with engine placed mostly behind the front axle). Anyone have any objections to this or any ideas as to why it wouldn't work with Ford's DOHC engines or the S650 platform?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Lmao I know I'm notorious for going a little crazy when I'm writing. But is the camaro wheelbase REALLY 3" longer than the s550?? I mean, I know its overhangs are A LOT shorter, but I thought the car as a whole was just shorter in general. Longer wheelbase would be nice for centering the weight though... that combined with a trunk-mounted battery (tip of the hat to BMW) would probably put the weight distribution, if I had to guess, closer to 52/48. Lightweighting would help us, but I think balance would be easier and almost as effective

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I just looked it up the Camaro is 110.7" wheel base. Mustang 107.1" wheel base.
interesting, I never realized that! Maybe that's a contributing factor to the great balance of the camaro. Does anyone know if this platform being shared with Sedans and Exploders and such would negate the chances of a short overhang? Or is it really just a huge guessing game? :shrug:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Yea I just looked it up the Camaro is 110.7" wheel base. Mustang 107.1" wheel base.
There is a lot of room to extend the wheelbase and shorten overhang. The M4 is almost 5 inches shorter and has a 3 inch longer wheelbase than the S550. There are obvious advantages, and some less obvious ones. One, you can build a lower car that doesn't scrape on steep driveways as bad.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
^ Umm that's an 18

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I think that was the Dr’s point.:frusty:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i would type “lol” but i’m really just sad

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Word has it

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I've read the news too -- I don't know how credible it is. The S550 has been every bit the sales success Ford had hoped it would be -- if they stay on their game, there's no reason to expect the S650 to be any different. Why Ford? Why?

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Status
Not open for further replies.