Sponsored

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Come on guys, they are not cancelling all Mustang orders. Whatever the issue is it only pertains to the Mach 1. Yeah, it sucks, got that. But this isn’t a global Ford conspiracy. No manufacturer anywhere enjoys cancelling orders. It’s called losing money.

By the way if it wasn’t for the F150 there would be no Mustang.
based on an earlier quote, that Ford may have met it's production goal for Mach 1s, I find it extremely insulting that they couldn't finish out the last 1,000whatever orders for 2021 M1s.

What's 1,000ish chips? They're making forty THOUSAND plus F150s each month.

They couldn't cut a measly one day's production to finish out M1 cars with those chips?

-
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
based on an earlier quote, that Ford may have met it's production goal for Mach 1s, I find it extremely insulting that they couldn't finish out the last 1,000whatever orders for 2021 M1s.

What's 1,000ish chips? They're making forty THOUSAND plus F150s each month.

They couldn't cut a measly one day's production to finish out M1 cars with those chips?

-
1000+ v8 cars might tip the C.A.F.E. too much. needing to produce more 4's and v6 vehicles to offset the v8's.
It wasn't a chip issue

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
1000+ v8 cars might tip the C.A.F.E. too much. needing to produce more 4's and v6 vehicles to offset the v8's.
It wasn't a chip issue
Agreed, this wasn't a chip issue. If, and that's a big if, Ford met their production quotas they very well could have run out of some key parts. Part production is planned at the beginning of the model year and in most cases cannot be exceeded. When the parts run out so does the cars production.

You really need to stop taking this so personally. Someone at Ford didn't wake up one morning and said "today's a good day to screw Dan, let's cancel his car". :giggle:

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Agreed, this wasn't a chip issue. If, and that's a big if, Ford met their production quotas they very well could have run out of some key parts. Part production is planned at the beginning of the model year and in most cases cannot be exceeded. When the parts run out so does the cars production.

You really need to stop taking this so personally. Someone at Ford didn't wake up one morning and said "today's a good day to screw Dan, let's cancel his car". :giggle:
they issued a VIN ...

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I not taking it personally.
But you'd think they be more open with those with open orders. Buyers are being very understanding, they could have walked and gone elsewhere. They don't want to loose that buyer pool .Many businesses would kill for buyers that are this willing and willing to wait, and wait ,and wait.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Lots of people on here are getting someone other than their own M1. I'm sure one can find one.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
they issued a VIN ...
I know. But what happens when a supplier tells Ford there are no more parts? Ford is not a vertical company. They rely on a number of outside suppliers. But the current events of the past 1 1/2 years have created many issues that Ford has no control over.

But you'd think they be more open with those with open orders.
Transparency would be nice. But in today's "sue everyone" environment I'll bet Ford's lawyers nixed that. Hopefully they will find away to make this right, at least in some small way.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Ya, I get that, I just have a hard time with a 60k+ Pony car.
Same with the Camaro. The Z-28 I look at a few years ago was 72k. There is a reason the buying age group of these cars now are over 50, it is because they are stupid money.
Vehicles in general are stupid money. Or maybe it is I'm just a cheap s.o.b. Either way. We are lucky they are even still producing any performance pony cars. I remember all the insiders claiming there was no future for v8 rear drive cars, and the personal performance car was dead.
Inflation is a helluva drug... It feels like just yesterday I was starting my first full time job, signing on the dotted line for my first car, and swearing to myself I would never pay more than ~$60K for any car, no matter how much money I made lol.

Car prices were one of the few (only?) expensive things that were just barely keeping up with inflation, if not lagging behind it IIRC, but I think that has begun to change in the last couple years, especially when you're talking about high performance cars (aka luxury toys for adults).

This car is more than I ever wanted to pay for a Mustang, and really more than anyone should pay for any car if we're being honest with ourselves... but as I was trying to get at in my last post, I'm still not sure there's anything better you can buy for much less money. And that's where Ford has us by the balls.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know. But what happens when a supplier tells Ford there are no more parts? Ford is not a vertical company. They rely on a number of outside suppliers. But the current events of the past 1 1/2 years have created many issues that Ford has no control over.

Transparency would be nice. But in today's "sue everyone" environment I'll bet Ford's lawyers nixed that. Hopefully they will find away to make this right, at least in some small way.
The problem here is if you know you are only getting x number of parts per a parts contract, you don't take 1000 orders above that.
Also, you'd think that Ford would know of supply issues and slammed the door on any new orders. not keep taking them.
THis is things they have control over.
My bet is they can't get the high cafe rated units out the produced and out the doors fast enough to build the v8 pony cars , and why the e/b cars are not an backlog issue.
Ford is lucky their halo car buyers are very understanding. They might not always be.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The problem here is if you know you are only getting x number of parts per a parts contract, you don't take 1000 orders above that.
And what if a supplier cannot meet a commitment? Happens everyday, even in the best of times. And the times right now are far from the best.

Also, you'd think that Ford would know of supply issues and slammed the door on any new orders. not keep taking them.
You might think that but you would be wrong. There are a million parts to the manufacturing process. Little things (and sometimes big things) get missed all the time.

Ford is lucky their halo car buyers are very understanding. They might not always be.
I think you have this backwards. We are lucky that Ford still produces the Mustang. It hasn't been a Halo car for a long, long time. As I said before if it wasn't for the F150 there wouldn't be a Mustang.

Listen, I'm not saying this isn't Ford fault, none of us know for sure. But the Ford bashing is meaningless. If folks are really that pissed off at Ford they should just go buy something else.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And what if a supplier cannot meet a commitment? Happens everyday, even in the best of times. And the times right now are far from the best.

You might think that but you would be wrong. There are a million parts to the manufacturing process. Little things (and sometimes big things) get missed all the time.

I think you have this backwards. We are lucky that Ford still produces the Mustang. It hasn't been a Halo car for a long, long time. As I said before if it wasn't for the F150 there wouldn't be a Mustang.

Listen, I'm not saying this isn't Ford fault, none of us know for sure. But the Ford bashing is meaningless. If folks are really that pissed off at Ford they should just go buy something else.
not a chance in the just in time(lean) system. They know what parts and how many are short and when.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

No ,I don't have it backwards.
If ford was the only game in town, maybe . But as long as there are other cars in this niche ,and not just the chevy.
and they can make a profit. they will make them.
I think you forget who is the retailer and who is the one spending their cash.
No ones ford bashing. why are you taking this personally.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
not a chance in the just in time(lean) system. They know what parts and how many are short and when.
except suppliers lie all the time. Well 'lie' might be too strong but they affirmed X to Ford but it turns out their own internal or upstream suppliers later reneged. So the 'lies' or 'misstatements' snowball.

The Ford bashing is ENTIRELY justified in how they are failing to handle the situation. Not a single official announcement. Not a single communique laying out the compensation to holders of VINs no less, or other remedies. If it's CAFE you pay the damn fine and ship the cars to the people. Reputational loss is vastly more damaging than a one-time charge to the balance sheet.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
No ,I don't have it backwards.
If ford was the only game in town, maybe . But as long as there are other cars in this niche ,and not just the chevy.
and they can make a profit. they will make them.
I think you forget who is the retailer and who is the one spending their cash.
No ones ford bashing. why are you taking this personally.
Maybe, just maybe, it is because it's tiring to read all the posts about how Ford did this and Ford did that. People literally making things up in an attempt to rationalize why this has happened.

I spent 10 years working in retail, 24 years working for a major electronics manufacturer and 12 Years working for some of the largest distributers in the US. I know of what I speak. Not because I'm some kind on genius but because I have 46 years of experience.

This experience tells me that no one at Ford cares about the Camaro or the Challenger anymore. Hell the only thing that Ford cares about are F150's, Explorers, Escapes, and Mach E's. Hell, the only reason we still have a Mustang is because Ford needed the name as the "brand" for the Mach-E. If Ford were selling a million Mustangs a year maybe they would care about the consumer. For 100K Mustangs, not so much.

By the way.

The manufacturer I worked for was one of the very first to implement JIT in Japan. I assure you that we didn't always know what was happening. Many production lines over the years were stopped cold because of a parts shortage.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Believe me. This is one of the most difficult pieces of information to tell customers. I just had to tell clients anything already ordered and not delivered is going to be 5% higher. Not fun at all. Sorry all around.
Why would it need to be 5% higher? That’s a dealership choice unless the MSRP is going up.
Sponsored