Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
2021 Cars.com American-Made Index: Which Cars Are the Most American?

https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-...ndex-which-cars-are-the-most-american-437020/

June 23, 2021

For the second year in a row, Cars.com’s American-Made Index ranks all qualifying vehicles built and bought in the U.S., not just the top 10 or 15 models. With results directly comparable to those of the 2020 American-Made Index, the 2021 study ranks 90 vehicles through the same five major criteria: assembly location, parts content, engine origins, transmission origins and U.S. manufacturing workforce.

Tesla has the No. 1 spot for the first time in the index’s 16-year history. The California electric vehicle maker’s compact sedan, the Model 3, topped the No. 2 Ford Mustang to lead the index for 2021; the Tesla Model Y, Jeep Cherokee and Chevrolet Corvette rounded out the top five models.

Where did other models land for 2021?

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 11.50.57 AM.jpg

AMI2021-map-cities.jpg
Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
You can tell they are made in America! Just look for the signs of aluminium oxidation and build quality that was superseded by 1983 in the eastern bloc Lada communist workers lawn mower assembly plant.

Last edited:

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
Kinda sad when the tranny is China, engine is assembled in Canada, many electronics are from Canada and overseas...

Canada's been building vehicles hand in hand with America since vehicle production started in North America.

What's sad is you're so ignorant that you don't know that and you actually put crap like this on a form.

The transmission from China a 100% agree it's terrible much worse than Mexico for the rest of your statement regarding Canada you're ignorant.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
No wonder Mazda jumped so high up on the reliability ratings. Good ol' Japan.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Canada's been building vehicles hand in hand with America since vehicle production started in North America.

What's sad is you're so ignorant that you don't know that and you actually put crap like this on a form.

The transmission from China a 100% agree it's terrible much worse than Mexico for the rest of your statement regarding Canada you're ignorant.
Honestly I've always looked at it as North American manufacturing. To me USA/Canada effectively the same thing. It is still good to see Flat Rock as #2.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

I'm well aware of that, but that doesn't change that the engine is made in Canada and not the USA. Ya know... my whole point. Mexico has been working "hand in hand" with the US to make cars for years also... I guess that's simply fine then based on your logic.

What's "sad" is you some reason assumed that I'm ignorant to it and jump to put your foot in your mouth instead of understanding my point.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Honestly I've always looked at it as North American manufacturing. To me USA/Canada effectively the same thing. It is still good to see Flat Rock as #2.
Since Mexico is part of North America then I guess people should stop complaining that Fords moved some production there.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That story and list is kind of deceiving... The car may be put together in a US facility by US workers, but that does not mean that it's built with 100% "Made in USA" parts.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Since Mexico is part of North America then I guess people should stop complaining that Fords moved some production there.
Honestly apples and oranges. Ford moving US production to Mexico is one thing but the Canadian factories have been operational for many years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Motor_Company_of_Canada

Also, just FYI, the Essex and Windsor engine plants are actually just South of Detroit, about 30 minutes from Ford World Headquarters..

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Honestly apples and oranges. Ford moving US production to Mexico is one thing but the Canadian factories have been operational for many years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Motor_Company_of_Canada

Also, just FYI, the Essex and Windsor engine plants are actually just South of Detroit, about 30 minutes from Ford World Headquarters..
Mexico's been pumping out cars for the US for over 40 years. So all i hear are excuses to avoid saying "brown people". I mean, you are OKAY if the whiter northern NOT THE USA country does it... but not overseas or Mexico.... I'm noticing a VERY clear line here....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
That story and list is kind of deceiving... The car may be put together in a US facility by US workers, but that does not mean that it's built with 100% "Made in USA" parts.
CJ, There is virtually nothing automotive made 100% in the US anymore. And so what? Where is your TV made? Your cellphone? Any number of thousands of products. We live in a global economy and global manufacturing world.

By the way, the article did say:

five major criteria: assembly location, parts content, engine origins, transmission origins and U.S. manufacturing workforce

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Mexico's been pumping out cars for the US for over 40 years. So all i hear are excuses to avoid saying "brown people". I mean, you are OKAY if the whiter northern NOT THE USA country does it... but not overseas or Mexico.... I'm noticing a VERY clear line here....
OK, what the heck is going on with this forum recently. People are just looking to start arguments.

Schwerin, you brought up Mexico, not me. I presumed you were referring to Ford's recent moves to shift production to Mexico. The rest of your post is just pure rubbish.

By the way, here is a list of Ford's worldwide plants. I'm sure you are going to have a problem with some of these too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
OK, what the heck is going on with this forum recently. People are just looking to start arguments.

Schwerin, you brought up Mexico, not me. I presumed you were referring to Ford's recent moves to shift production to Mexico. The rest of your post is just pure rubbish.

By the way, here is a list of Ford's worldwide plants. I'm sure you are going to have a problem with some of these too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories

My entire point is that it's SAD when the "most American cars' can have HUGE amounts of it still from outside of the US. But Canada is American enough to count and be okay, but Mexico historically has been a big no-no and pisses people off even though they are ALSO part of North America? it's hypocritical.

You can't say it's totally cool for Cana da just because "they have done it longer" and are part of North America because that means that your ONLY problem with Mexico is that its newer. I mean Fords pumped cars out of Mexico for over 25 years at this point, when is it suddenly "Canada levels of okay"?
Sponsored