2021 mustang GT Transmission noise from Center Console

Spleee254

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt, 2001 mustang gt
Greetings guys, I have a 21 auto gt with 29k miles and a transmission that's driving me crazy.

When accelerating I can hear a very faint whine/whir from the center console that slightly increases in sound when I open the box. This is not the characteristic whine that 10r80s are known for (i have that as well). I'm kinda at a loss what to do. I've taken it to ford dealer and they said they absolutely can not hear it. My wife was able to hear it ever so slightly when driving over the weekend and I made her really listen. She said perhaps your ears are just picking up a high frequency sound others can't....but I didn't buy this.

The car drives fine, feels fine and seems fine but my God it drives me crazy if the radio is off. I actually ordered an exhaust in the hope it just drowns it out. However knowing it's there does concern me and I'm unsure how I can get the dealer to actually hear what I'm talking about. If I knew it wasn't a concern I'd let it go.

Am I going crazy, does anybody else have anything like this. If not how can I get the ford dealer to listen... to me any body with a mechanical ear should be able to hear what I'm talking about...unless I really was given x men level hearing and I am cursed
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Only while accelerating? Perhaps it's the center carrier bearing? Or a differential issue? Do you have access to a lift? Perhaps get the rear wheels off the ground, put it in gear and check different spots with a contact stethoscope?
I'd probably be unable to hear it as I have upper register hearing loss, that is a curse.

OP
OP

Spleee254

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt, 2001 mustang gt
Only while accelerating? Perhaps it's the center carrier bearing? Or a differential issue? Do you have access to a lift? Perhaps get the rear wheels off the ground, put it in gear and check different spots with a contact stethoscope?
I'd probably be unable to hear it as I have upper register hearing loss, that is a curse.
I don't have easy access to a lift. The annoying thing is the transmission was serviced by this dealer a few months ago for Transwork and I'm pretty sure the carrier bearing(s) where replaced. It's maddening they claim they don't hear it. I don't have any other dealers to take it to near me so I'm kinda stuck with them for paying out of pocket. They are taking a another drive Monday and I'm going with them to point it out...hopefully that bears some fruit.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I am betting its diff whine based on the description. Especially since it happened after the bearings were recently replaced. I would just drive it, its going to get worse. They have to replace it again, you have it documented so should be easy replacement. These dealers love to say "its normal" all the time try to take a test drive with them in a setting that will make the sound louder.

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
I'll add that what I thought was initially pinion bearing or differential noise turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. The sound started out pretty faint, but after a few hundred miles, got progressively louder until it was easy to pinpoint that it was actually coming from the right rear of the car. The bearing didn't exhibit any typical characteristics of being bad, no looseness or noise while manually rotating the wheel, and it didn't even make noise after I removed it from the car. Once the replacement was installed though, the noise was gone.

My sage advice: let it get a little worse, and if/when does, go back to the dealer and try again.
Sponsored