2021 Mustang GT Refresh Rendering (based on first spyshots)

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Ace, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Nagare

Nagare Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Lightning Blue V6
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Agreed all the way around with you, the vent/hood design is one of my main gripes with the 18. Part of the reason it looks so much more "modern/sleek" is because of the light design. The new light design is great and makes the 15-17 look older.

LSchicago likes this.
  2. kwpony

kwpony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 EcoBoost PP
    0   0   0
    #62 kwpony, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    definitely not.

3. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Good job on the rendering, but I really don't think the triangles will be changed at all. If you look closely at the car from different angles, you can see through the cover... the curveature of the cover gives the illusion that the bumper will have a curved look that's completely different, but when you look closer, you see inside a black area that's the same as the triangle that the 18-19 cars have. Here, I outlined the outside corners in red
    TRIANGLE.PNG

My guess is that it's a parts bin car that didn't have the turn signals installed already, and they just kinda slapped on some indicators so that they could legally drive it. It's probably more of a powertrain test bed than a cosmetic one

GT 550 likes this.
  4. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Agreed. I fixed my lower grille by just doing a custom job. To me, it just makes the car look 10x better!
    custom grille.jpg

cyclonetron and Arthonon like this.
  5. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    The triangles still appear to be there (unless thats some cunning cladding under there) but the DO appear to be slightly different.

Here's the Ace's render, plus the original

2021mustang_facelift_by_ace-jpg.jpg
    2018-Mustang-563x353.jpg

6. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    See, what I'm seeing through the cladding appears to be the same shape as the current triangle vents. Ace's render seems to follow the lines of the illusion caused by the wrinkle in the cladding. But like I said, if you look through the cladding, you can see a black outline of what looks like the same triangle vents as the 2018 model, of course without the LED lights integrated

Twin Turbo likes this.
  7. Arthonon

Arthonon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    That looks great! I really like that. Something to think about...

jake_zx2 likes this.
  8. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Race Red manual Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I agree that looks better

jake_zx2 likes this.
  9. CrashOverride

CrashOverride Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    After seeing Comp Orange in person, I had to have that color. I'm sure you've noticed it's peculiarities - it is very hard to capture the true color in photos, sometimes it looks red. But I like that about it. The 1st and second gen coyotes only have port fuel injection, but that's fine. There are pluses and minuses with DI and I commend Ford for going with a duel system even if it costs more. Lexus had been doing it for almost a decade now with their 3.5L engine and I'm not aware of anyone complaining about soot on the exhaust, or intake vales so clogged they need to be walnut shell blasted. I'm an engine geek - sometimes I buy an engine, and then get the car it's built around for free :)

cyclonetron likes this.
  10. Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    #70 Ghostrealm, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Not at all. I think out of 10 people I asked 10 said 15-17 looks much more like a classic mustang should be And nicer then 18 and up.

Let this speak for itself...

maxresdefault.jpg

11. Mustang Tony

Mustang Tony Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle(s):
    '18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
    0   0   0
    Not entirely true....I got back into a mustang after 15 years. My last Mustang was an '03 Cobra. The '18 was the first Mustang in a long while I thought looked right. No false or tacked on scoops or goofy add ons. The 15-17 is okay, looks more Fusion like. The '18 IMO looks so much better.

12. Erik427

Erik427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1979 Mustang
    0   0   0
    The '18 looks better than the '15. This render looks better than both.

thePill likes this.
  13. gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium PP1
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I’ve never considered buying a mustang until the 18 came out.. I get most prefer the 15-17 but the 18 is what got me to purchase my first mustang. I love the looks

14. Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    To be honest the look is so similar not many people notice the diff anyways lol.I just personally dont like the plain jube jube headlamps on the 18 and up. I like the lights of the 15-17 more as they look sort of like a snakes fangs from the side profile.To me it has that perfect look. The new one looks too much like a BMW.
    The 15-17 as strange as this sounds reminds me of a p-51 Mustang when it has those teeth decals at the side.

en-stock-avion-1-72-p-51-d-mustang-italeri10492328_3_2010327_17_18_50.jpg

15. Twin Turbo

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Good grief, this is like the launch of the '18MY all over again :facepalm:

We'll be here again when the '23MY is revealed with many saying the '18 was the last of the good looking Mustangs :giggle:

16. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang V6 Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I agree. It seems silly that someone would be happy with one one but refuse to buy the other on looks alone. I get it if it's S197 vs. S550 but there just isn't that much difference. I like the hood of the 15-17 better but I like the quad exhaust of the 18+. I haven't been able to decide which nose I prefer. The 18 does look sleeker but at the same time "wimpier." :)

jake_zx2 likes this.
  17. AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I'll chime in with my $.02 (not that anyone's asking). I personally HATED the look of the S550 when it was first announced. Back then I had my '14, and found that the S550 had lost its Mustang "soul" in order to appease the "worldwide launch" objective. Fast forward a year and I was unfortunately in an accident where my '14 was totaled. Aside from being mad for a lot of reasons, I was pissed that I had to purchase an S550. My tune did change when I test drove one, as there's no denying that the handling is far superior than that of the S197.

The silver lining for me was seeing that it was possible for the s550 to look badass, as long as you were willing to change a few things; namely the grill and hood IMO. Well, that's what I did and now I'm in love with how my car looks (as well as performs).

Then came along the '18, and the same thing happened. First reaction "wtf were they thinking??". Then the mods started coming out. There are some badass looking '18's out there, but again, it involves AT LEAST changing the front grills. Also, the little side triangle vents always remind me of a Prius whenever I see one, so this render immediately addresses that issue.

At the end of the day, to each their own. Would I purchase an '18+ while having my '16? Definitely not. Would I purchase an 18+ if I didn't have my '16? Most likely. That said, I'm also kind of over my '16 at this point. It's had a tick since new. Finally found a Ford dealership (after dealing with two other shitty ones that refused to help me) that actually looked into it. They found pitting/scoring on one of the crankshafts as well pieces of metal in the passenger cylinder head. After having my car at Ford for 7 weeks (swapped out for a new cylinder head, crankshafts, lifters, water pump, etc...) I thought that the issue was fixed. After two days of driving it (nicely and slowly), the tick is back. I've been wanting to boost this b*tch forever, but never did so because I didn't want to void the warranty on an engine that may go boom. So yea.... ready to move on. I was planning on a GT500, but now have to wait until they "hopefully" release a manual. Or I just say f*ck it all and slap an aluminator in there and boost that b*tch sky-high.

Anyways, I digress. Good job on the render! Here's a pic of my car on second day of ownership to how it looks now. Cosmetic mods to the front area are what make these cars truly stand out IMO. IMG_0488.jpg IMG_7745.jpg

samanosuke47 likes this.
  18. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Race Red manual Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    It looks very similar to the 18. The rendering that Ace did is much better. Ford need to redesign the front not tinker around the edges.

19. Twin Turbo

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    OK, I'll throw my hat into the ring.........there's not a Mustang I don't like (or haven't grown to like)......but the nicest front end I've seen on the '18 belongs to Saleen. It reminds me of the lower fascia of the '13/'14......which is one of my favourite front ends of any Mustang!

65ea9aad27158c763b09bae403aed617.jpg

Assuming we are getting a mild '21 refresh, I'm sure I'll love that too! :rockon:

20. AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    If I had an '18+, I would do that front end conversion as my first mod. That one, or the GT500-look-a-like bumper that was revealed by Anderson Composites at this year's SEMA. I think that thing looks sick. But then again, it's inspired by the new GT500 which I think looks like an absolute beast. anderson-composite-mustang-front-quarter.jpg

edit: On a second look, that Saleen front end actually looks pretty similar to an OEM 15-17 bumper (ALMOST. Definitely more than an OEM 18+ bumper)

Loki-GT likes this.