Sponsored

2021 Mustang GT Premium - Recently lowered with Steeda springs 0.5" but now I get a thump

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Hey Guys,

Does anyone out there have this issue with their lowered car? Steeda.ca recently lowered my car with the Steeda USA Lowering spring kit (the minimum drop one) and I also added the Trident rims and new tires. BEAUTIFUL aesthetic. LOVE it!

That being said, now I seem to have a squeak/scrunch-like rubber being pressed on hard when going out of a driveway or over a speedbump and I also have a small thump when turning the wheel from right to left while driving forward or reverse. Seems to stop once I'm stationary.

I'm taking the car in Tuesday to Steeda.ca to have them take it for a spin but thought I would see if anyone had any ideas on things I could check ahead of time.

UPDATE: Putting the link in the OP -
Sponsored

Last edited:

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Improperly torqued sway bar end links are usually the cause most of the time. Other things to check are the upper strut nut torque, requires a special tool to torque properly. Steeda has these so they probably did it, but worth double checking.

What do you have for alignment adjustment? Did you get camber plates? Those would need to be checked. If you reused the factory upper strut mount its possible they got damaged when swapping over. But that's not as likely as the end link or strut nut. Start with those and your chances of solving it are high

Squeeking usually points to strut bearings though. So that's a strong possibility

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Improperly torqued sway bar end links are usually the cause most of the time. Other things to check are the upper strut nut torque, requires a special tool to torque properly. Steeda has these so they probably did it, but worth double checking.

What do you have for alignment adjustment? Did you get camber plates? Those would need to be checked. If you reused the factory upper strut mount its possible they got damaged when swapping over. But that's not as likely as the end link or strut nut. Start with those and your chances of solving it are high

Squeeking usually points to strut bearings though. So that's a strong possibility
Steeda.ca did my install in Hamilton. I imagine the guys have all those tools since they have a dyno in the back their shop is pretty well outfitted.

I got the Steeda lowering kit (0.5) and cambre kit as well installed. They did all the things.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
They should know to double check those things when you bring it in then, but don't be afraid to ask.

Reach out to Steeda USA if you need to. They have some good people that will help you sort things out

Reactions: MCS

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Steeda USA and Steeda Ca are not affiliated with each other. Steeda USA will know their products and what to look for though. Was the car making any of these noises prior to the changes? How long ago did the work get done?

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Work was done April 12th or 13th. I'd have to look. No it was quiet as a mouse before. Right from the factory last July.

Yes I know they are not associated. The guys that did the install are good fellas. I was there Saturday grabbing my spoiler which arrived. They said bring it in Tuesday morning and they will take it for a drive to assess.

Yes it went to an alignment shop after they install was done.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Work was done April 12th or 13th. I'd have to look. No it was quiet as a mouse before. Right from the factory last July.

Yes I know they are not associated. The guys that did the install are good fellas. I was there Saturday grabbing my spoiler which arrived. They said bring it in Tuesday morning and they will take it for a drive to assess.

Yes it went to an alignment shop after they install was done.
That’s good. Well, the issue is with the installation then. Glad your experience is better than most reviews!

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I'm sure they will get it sorted. However, it was a new thing for me so kinda wanted to get an idea of what I'm dealing with and any safety concerns. I have to drive my son to school tomorrow and Tuesday and then to Hamilton after dropping him off at school so they can check it out, take it for a drive and maybe put it on a hoist.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
progressive springs are coil binding.....

So what you were saying that means is that explains the kind of squeak when you go down a driveway or over a speed bump? But what about the knock when you go from side to side with the steering wheel?

Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So what you were saying that means is that explains the kind of squeak when you go down a driveway or over a speed bump? But what about the knock when you go from side to side with the steering wheel?

I am saying it sounds like coil bind,some progressive springs knock.
Which is why many have rubber boots around the coils
I had Steeda Progressives and they did the same BS so I yanked them out
and went with a Linear,problem solved...No offence to Steeda ,I run lots of thier stuff
but the Prog springs ,no thanks .

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I am saying it sounds like coil bind,some progressive springs knock.
Which is why many have rubber boots around the coils
I had Steeda Progressives and they did the same BS so I yanked them out
and went with a Linear,problem solved...No offence to Steeda ,I run lots of thier stuff
but the Prog springs ,no thanks .
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll do a little research and I'll also ask the guys at Steeda.ca on Tuesday. If it's the way it's supposed to be, and it isn't a safety hazard, then all good but if it's something that has the potential for IDLH then I'ma rip and replace.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If you have the minimum drop springs, then they are linear, not progressive
Minimum drop springs

Are these the springs you have?

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I have the Steeda S550 Mustang MagneRide Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Lowering Springs

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I see, those don't appear to be linear. So Excelerater's comment may be valid
Thank you for clarifying
Sponsored

Reactions: MCS