Sponsored

2021 Mustang GT going from 18inch to 20inch rims

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I'm buying the 20inch Ford Premium rims from a local seller this afternoon.
I currently have the 18x8 rims on my GT.

Anything off the wall I need to know about, like will the factory lugs from the 18x8 rims work on the 20inchers?
Do I need to do anything with the speedo etc?

Thanks again

TheShit
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Anything off the wall I need to know about, like will the factory lugs from the 18x8 rims work on the 20inchers?

Thanks again

TheShit
Speedo has nothing (almost) to do with the rims and everything to do with the tire. If tire diameter is different, it will be off, simple like that.

Lugs will obviously work except stock one should be thrown away immediately.

OP
OP
TheShit

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Speedo has nothing (almost) to do with the rims and everything to do with the tire. If tire diameter is different, it will be off, simple like that.

Lugs will obviously work except stock one should be thrown away immediately.
Thank you kindly

OrangeBeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang, 2020 Forester, 2019 Acura RDX

Thanks again

TheShit
The factory lugs will work but they are JUNK. Invest in one of the many versions of the "spline" lugs available on CJPONYPARTS, or LMR, or any of those Mustang MOD sites. They are less likely to strip with the careless mechanic with an air gun and on top of that they look better. The factory lugs are those old two piece type that break very easily and look like crap.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

throw your current and new sizes in there, it will show you how much off it will be,

as orange beast said get some new lugs, if you ever go with a aftermarket setup they more than likely wont fit. on my 2016 when i went with an aftermarket setup i had to get a set of spline due to the stockers being too wide for the opening. couldn't get a socket over them inside the well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheShit

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

throw your current and new sizes in there, it will show you how much off it will be,

as orange beast said get some new lugs, if you ever go with a aftermarket setup they more than likely wont fit. on my 2016 when i went with an aftermarket setup i had to get a set of spline due to the stockers being too wide for the opening. couldn't get a socket over them inside the well.
That's pretty slick, thank you

OP
OP
TheShit

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
The factory lugs will work but they are JUNK. Invest in one of the many versions of the "spline" lugs available on CJPONYPARTS, or LMR, or any of those Mustang MOD sites. They are less likely to strip with the careless mechanic with an air gun and on top of that they look better. The factory lugs are those old two piece type that break very easily and look like crap.
More than 1 person has said the factory lugs are junk, looks like I'll have to order some replacements.

MagCoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium Magnetic(sold) '21 GT Prem PP1 MR G
If you use the same OEM tire size that came on the factory 20", they will fit fine and will have very little to no affect on the speedo.
Sponsored