Sponsored

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
I was not able to keep up with a stock M3 Competition at Thunderhill in my GT350 with Michelin PS4S tires. Maybe I could now that I have PSC2 tires. In any case I agree with @VictorH that is a surprising result, though like-for-like tires would make the M3Cx faster than the Mach 1 or GT350R.
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What’s amazing to me (having come from BMW M) is that the Mach 1 is faster than the M3 X-drive competition. I have driven that car at Indy and thought it was really fast, but it’s always about the combination of both cornering speed and straight-line speed, which evidently the BMW does not have enough of to overcome the Mach 1’s times.

Congrats to the Mach 1 design team, very impressive result. Feel all the better about my purchase and looking forward to some track days at VIR, RA and others.
There is a quite substantial difference in the tires though PS4s compared to the CUP2s

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I wonder how is it possible? I mean GT350R is supposed to be "at least as good" (for track) as Mach 1 and have a non negligible boost in HP. So why the results do not reflect that?

The article suggests that GT350R is faster on a straight and then Mach 1 somehow catches up in turns, but is it because of the aerodynamics? Or because of having different power bands and therefore possibly being favored by this particular track?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Genuine question - what does the Mach 1 have that is ‘better’ than the 350 or the 350R to justify the faster lap time ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how is it possible? I mean GT350R is supposed to be "at least as good" (for track) as Mach 1 and have a non negligible boost in HP. So why the results do not reflect that?

The article suggests that GT350R is faster on a straight and then Mach 1 somehow catches up in turns, but is it because of the aerodynamics? Or because of a different power bands and therefore possibly being favored by this particular track?
Looks like we were thinking similar things at the same time :like:

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Glad the Mach 1 performed so well. Hard for me to believe it outperforms a GT350R. In fact I don't, but it obvious the Mach 1 is a performer. I'd drive one any day of the week! My local dealer has a used iconic HP car on the lot and it looks sweet with the wheels, lowered stance, and the matte black stripe on the hood.
Different days, not a big gap, etc. However no matter which is ahead by a tenth or two it’s apparently very close. Thats the big win. I dont think anyone can say its not a good replacement for the gt350 with this result.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
At the end of the day these cars are driven by humans so a 0.4 second gap is within the margin of error. I wouldn't bet money on the Mach 1 being "better" than the GT350R but for mere mortals looking for a track toy it's within the margin of error to say it's "as good".

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Genuine question - what does the Mach 1 have that is ‘better’ than the 350 or the 350R to justify the faster lap time ?
Durability of the engine is probably the Mach 1's main advantage.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm impressed with the Mach 1's time, but, track conditions and ambient conditions have a huge effect on lap times. The same car can be several seconds slower or faster on the same track with the same driver depending on conditions, even throughout a given day as conditions change. So comparing times years apart is not apples to apples.

My money would still be on the GT350R if driven back to back with the same driver vs the Mach 1.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
My money would still be on the GT350R if driven back to back with the same driver vs the Mach 1.
No-one doubts that, it would be kinda silly otherwise. Still with so small difference it says something (unlike that Nürburgring time).

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Wonder how this test would have gone with a 10-speed handling pack instead?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Wonder how this test would have gone with a 10-speed handling pack instead?
i've suspected from the very beginning that a mach 1 HP tremec car would be right on the ass of a gt350. i'm surprised to see it hang with the R. the longer a track even goes i believe the gt350 brakes will create a bigger gap but in any case i'm glad like others on here that some of the shit talking can be put to bed. this is a great car and everyone that has driven one will agree.
and i still think the 10 speed car will beat all of the above. :)

Rynoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Premium, 6spd, GBM, chas N0121
Looks like we were thinking similar things at the same time :like:

The low end power is a big factor but I would like to think brakes are actually very good on the Machs and outperform the GT350R in this area. Car and driver noted it Here under the handling section.

Would this ever convince me to say its better than the 350R overall? Hell no, I agree that a Shelby is a Shelby but the Mach 1 is close enough to be dangerous.

No-one doubts that, it would be kinda silly otherwise. Still with so small difference it says something (unlike that Nürburgring time).
Did they ever take a Mach 1 with with the handling package out on it? The last video I saw was of a yellow Mach 1 over there that I think was a manual.

I think that's where a 10R80 Mach 1 HP should be used especially with that straightaway. The twists and turns will throw off the auto but I think it can recover quick enough to be useful when you need to lay on it.
Sponsored