Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 Mustang Prototype Spied on The Prowl?!

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
As much as I'd love to see the DCT in the Mach 1, I think it'll remain GT500-only.

500hp/10-speed auto/PP2
"NACA" duct hood/unique wheels/front fascia
$55k

:like:
I know a lot of people are hoping for a ducted hood, but I hope that's optional so those that don't want it can opt out, all that retro stuff is a bit of a mood killer for me. But man, if we get a 500hp/10 speed/ PP2. With some minor interior updates that thing will be a killer grand tourer with track capabilities.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I know a lot of people are hoping for a ducted hood, but I hope that's optional so those that don't want it can opt out, all that retro stuff is a bit of a mood killer for me. But man, if we get a 500hp/10 speed/ PP2. With some minor interior updates that thing will be a killer grand tourer with track capabilities.
It’s gotta have a shaker

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
It’s gotta have a shaker
For nostalgia folks sure. That's why I'd want it to be optional to delete. That way the folks that want it can get it. I don't have any interest in a shaker any more than I do window louvers or bullitt wheels, but I know people feel the opposite and I'd like to see ford start accommodating more variability with the options.

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
That's a strong possibility that the Mach 1 will be a hybrid V8. This was patented by Ford a while back....
Hybrid diagram.jpg
There is no possibility of that at all... the cost of re-engineering the entire front architecture of S550 to include driveshafts and the added width and length of the drivetrain is too high. And the resulting fr/rr weight balance - which is already very poor - would be far worse.
AWD is intriguing... it would certainly solve the issue of poor overall traction which holds the GT500 back. But it's not going to happen now and it's even hard to see this in S650 (a simple evolution of S550) since it's still an enormous amount of engineering work (and production line changes) for only a very small percentage of models.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You may well be right.

However, as you've probably seen, this respected UK magazine seems to think S650 will offer a hybrid V8. Without it, the chances of the Mustang continuing to be sold in Europe are slim, given the crazy C02 emissions targets we now have. And given European sales of the Mustang are significant, the business case to build a hybrid would possibly stack up......especially if it was sold worldwide.

Time will tell, I guess.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-will-be-awd-hybrid-v8-in-europe-only.139266/

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think the S650 will be fuel/hybrid

Its coming, it has to or the cars done

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may well be right.

However, as you've probably seen, this respected UK magazine seems to think S650 will offer a hybrid V8. Without it, the chances of the Mustang continuing to be sold in Europe are slim, given the crazy C02 emissions targets we now have. And given European sales of the Mustang are significant, the business case to build a hybrid would possibly stack up......especially if it was sold worldwide.

Time will tell, I guess.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-will-be-awd-hybrid-v8-in-europe-only.139266/
I saw that article... but Autocar isn't always accurate. And it's already date sin regards to S650/CD6.
This is a really interesting topic because export sales are critical to the Mustang's success... and to it's development budget. And obviously the V-8 is an important part of that export market... the majority.
But another question is this claim that that hybrid and AWD go together... I don't think they are necessarily coupled. It was always generally believed that the Mustang would offer a hybrid 4-cylinder, with the battery in the trunk (aka Fusion/Mondeo), and in RWD form since the platform wasn't designed for AWD.
But CD6 is, and already offers a hybrid (*very* powerful in Lincoln form). And while a V-8 isn't currently offered in CD6, you can bet that it was designed for one including this hybrid AWD V-8 with twin electric motors. CD6 has great potential for an AWD Mustang, hybrid or not, and the fact that it was designed for it from the start rather than being band-aided on later is important.
And after CD6? That depends on how quickly UK and European emissions laws move forward.. already ICE ends in ~15 years from now or less. United States has recently relaxed it's emissions and mileage laws so it isn't going to be competitive worldwide... UK and Europe will have the lead in emissions technology in the ICE arena - while it lasts.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Certainly interesting times ahead. I've heard conflicting things with regards the next steps for Mustang:

1 - '23MY S650 is merely a heavily modified existing DC2 S550 .......followed by '27+MY S750 moving to CD6
3 - '23MY S650 will utilise the D5 platform which is what DC2 is now known as, and includes many CD6 components. (no move to a "full" CD6 architecture).

Hopefully Ford will be clear when S650 is launched.....but I'm won't hold my breath!

:)

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great... another half-measure instead of the full benefits of platform sharing. So much for "One Ford". Apparently Ford hasn't learned any cost saving lessons from GM's Alpha or Infiniti/Nissan's FM.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Depends......going full CD6 could have meant a bigger/heavier Mustang. Perhaps cherry picking the best bits of CD6 makes for a better Mustang :)

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends......going full CD6 could have meant a bigger/heavier Mustang. Perhaps cherry picking the best bits of CD6 makes for a better Mustang :)
Not at all.. CD6 was designed for variable width and length. A claim in some enthusiast site some time ago speculated that the new Mustang would have been the size of a Challenger is dead wrong... and certainly not desirable since that thing is a huge tank. CD6 is also aluminum intensive (in structure, not body), look at the front strut/shock towers for example. It's a state of the art and modern platform in every sense. Platform sharing saves considerable cost, and as GM has found with Alpha (itself a far more modern and lighter platform that S197/S550/S650) costs are spread across the entire range of products including performance developments such as engines, coolers, Brembos, structure and related etc. And the Aviators SLA front suspension, rather than the Explorer's cheap strut, could be used for the Mustang (a much-needed improvement). Platform sharing would make for a better Mustang with a wider range of engines and a suspension. Need a twin-turbo hybrid V-6 with 600 lb-fts of torque? Check. Need a hybrid V-6? Check. Need a hybrid better in a purposefully deigned location? Check. The Mustang could even be built in the Explorer/Aviator plant, saving even more money (especially interesting since Flat Rock has a electric mission now that it will eventually need all the room in the plant for).
Sponsored