Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 Mustang Prototype Spied on The Prowl?!

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I fear that emissions regs and the prevailing wind in the rest of the world has moved much faster than many big auto manufacturers expected in the last year.
While it made perfect sense to launch a mild hybrid V8 s650 6 months ago, it no longer makes sense if you can’t sell it in 80% of the export market. The only solution that makes sense on the world stage for a new platform now is fully electric. In North America things are a little different. The gas engine will survive longer there than elsewhere.

I suspect the stop gap s650 may be a cheap make over job on s550 with hybrid assist on some models for home market and Middle East only with the rest of the export market dying off. The s750 will be based on Mach E. My money is on these two running concurrently for a long period in their respective target markets.
Sponsored

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
With the Rona I’m not even sure your gonna see a 2021 Mach 1. I mean when are they gonna release it middle of 2021?

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Ford is behind in it's launches, both Broncos and the F-150 are waiting to be announced and introduced - even if production is months delayed. And look at the stock - just awful. A forward-looking announcement of the Broncos right now - streamed not live - would go a long way to reversing the decline of the stock - and the decline of the reputation of the executive team.
As to the Mach 1, it's very disappointing, it's clear that at best it's just a PP2'd Bullitt. Maybe a few more horses, which is an easy and known science. Minimal investment here by Ford at the last second before S650. And still not a track vehicle: it'll fall on it's limp-home face just as the PP1, PP2 and Bullitt did since they didn't have transmission or differential coolers. At most it'll look good cruising around.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I wouldn't be surprised if all mustang development has been put on the back burner while Ford's leadership tries to figure out 21st century tech.... Their reluctance to announce/launch vehicles through an online format is causing significant issues IMO. Not to mention the fact that ALL of their key products (Bronco, Mach E, F150, etc...) Are going to experience production delays on top of the fact that their stock was not doing good before the pandemic..... I think the mustang is unfortunately the LAST thing on their minds right now.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I can't find the article.......but I recently read that Ford will only discuss new products once production gets underway at the factories again. There was a named source in the article.....just wish I could find it! Also, we've seen an article about Mach E development still underway with engineers working from home https://electrek.co/2020/03/30/ford-engineers-work-from-home-on-mustang-mach-e-development/ so I'm sure development of the other key products (F150/Bronco/Bronco Sport) is also continuing.....to a degree. Hopefully Mach 1, and the rest of the '21MY Mustang chances fall into that category, too.

So, whilst reveals have been impacted, assuming the factories can get back online soon, we'll hopefully still get the '21MY launches, just a lot later than planned this year.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
In the U.K. last month new car sales fell by 97% to make it the lowest selling month since 1946. Along with 1 in 5 workers being furloughed on their way to unemployment.... assuming the same situation is repeated on a world stage, I would imagine developing anything new at the fringe end of your market will be the least important thing for pretty much all auto manufacturers for the next year. Laying off staff and cost cutting to survive will be far higher up the management priority list for the foreseeable future.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The '21MY development will be all but complete, including Mach 1. Whilst its possible Ford would cancel it, I highly doubt it. A car like the new Mach 1 will generate press and public interest alike and, hopefully, get people into the showrooms again, even if they drive off in a base Ecoboost.

Of course, the next-gen F150 will be the one that brings in the $$, and Bronco and Bronco Sport will also be important to the bottom line. But each will be developed by different teams.

Ford has a lot of new product about to hit production which is great timing, as it'll offer the consumer something they'll hopefully consider upgrading to (and I do appreciate, many many people will just be happy to have a job at the end of this pandemic, never mind spending $$ on a new vehicle)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
More Bronco spy shots from today!!!!!..........the most spy-shotted (new word!) vehicle of 2020!

NOW WHERE ARE OUR '21MY MUSTANG/MACH 1 SPYSHOTS!?!?!?! :curse::camera::explode:
Bronco.jpg

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
For nostalgia folks sure. That's why I'd want it to be optional to delete. That way the folks that want it can get it. I don't have any interest in a shaker any more than I do window louvers or bullitt wheels, but I know people feel the opposite and I'd like to see ford start accommodating more variability with the options.
I agree 100%. I love hints of throw back and history but I don't want to pay for a brand new car that looks just like a 30 year old car. I guess I'm the odd man out on this.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I agree 100%. I love hints of throw back and history but I don't want to pay for a brand new car that looks just like a 30 year old car. I guess I'm the odd man out on this.
Nope, I'm with you. The S197 was full-on retro, so could get away with a Shaker, but the S550 is a forward looking, modern design that takes just enough inspiration from the past. For me, a modern take on a Shaker would be perhaps a perspex screen which would mean you could still see the engine below (just like VMP did with their Track Attack S550). Besides.....if......if Mach 1 was to be sold elsewhere, a Shaker would never pass the pedestrian impact regulation.

I keep coming back to this one though......the '71/'73 hood still works today (and I'm still gutted Azure Blue wasn't (nor even Grabber Blue) on that list of '21MY colors :( )
Mach 1.jpg
Mach 1 71.jpg

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
That render you posted, TT, still make me smile! I'd love it to look like that, knowing, of course, that the vents near the back would not be economically feasible to replicate.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I love my GT and not sure I'd want to trade up for a GT350 (yes I've driven them), but a Mach 1 like the above rendering would make me think twice for sure. I had a 2003 Cobra and always respected those guys with the 2003 Mach 1's. And yes that Azure Blue is great. Not a fan of many shades of blue but that one really catches my eye.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I love this rendering and hope this is what we get but the headlights will be stock and no rear fender scoops.
mach-1-jpg.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, I'm in two minds about those rear 3/4 vents...........I know that wouldn't happen as they'd never do unique quarters for such a low volume car......and, just like the originals, they'd be non-functional, so nothing more than a styling cue. A cool one, though.

I can only hope my constant posting of this rendering means it's gotten the attention of the good boys and girls in the design studio :crackup:
Sponsored