Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 Mustang Prototype Spied on The Prowl?!

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I would love to see a mach 1 vert, but I think the performance potential of a mach 1 S-550 is more than the vert body structure can handle, not to mention sanctioning bodies like the NHRA have tighter restrictions on verts.

In the end, I think the PP1 vert is about as high of a performance version we will get.
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I would love to see a mach 1 vert, but I think the performance potential of a mach 1 S-550 is more than the vert body structure can handle, not to mention sanctioning bodies like the NHRA have tighter restrictions on verts.

In the end, I think the PP1 vert is about as high of a performance version we will get.
maybe a removeable hardtop with built in cage, could help to keep the weight down from a full on very, and provide needed structural support and cover for NHRA.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Another thing that came to mind is I kind of hope they'll offer this trim in convertible as well. The S550 chassis is one of the few that has yet to offer any high performance convertible variants.
What a world we live in when 460hp isn’t high performance. :shock:

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Just a reminder of what Ford actually said in April 2019....
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/next-ford-mustang-details-on-sale-info/

Specifically, there’s this paragraph...

One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It's the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022.

The part in bold makes me think that 2023 S650 is the nose to tail reskin happening in 2023, not 2021 and that the all new will occur in either 2026. Typically an automaker wants to get two sometimes three “versions” on a platform and at least three years on each version. S550 is in its second version (first was 2015 - 17, second is 2018 - 21). If Ford is extending S550 as they’ve said and reskinning it, that would coincide with a 3rd version coming in 2022 and running until 2024 - 25 and the convergence with CD6 happening in 2026, possibly then called S750.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Just a reminder of what Ford actually said in April 2019....
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/next-ford-mustang-details-on-sale-info/

Specifically, there’s this paragraph...

One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It's the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022.

The part in bold makes me think that 2023 S650 is the nose to tail reskin happening in 2023, not 2021 and that the all new will occur in either 2026. Typically an automaker wants to get two sometimes three “versions” on a platform and at least three years on each version. S550 is in its second version (first was 2015 - 17, second is 2018 - 21). If Ford is extending S550 as they’ve said and reskinning it, that would coincide with a 3rd version coming in 2022 and running until 2024 - 25 and the convergence with CD6 happening in 2026, possibly then called S750.
Yes, I recall this specific article (in fact, I have it bookmarked!)

That why I'm still questioning the "facelift" we (or at least I ) have been expecting for the '21MY. The "prototypes" we've seen so far a very light in terms of camo.....which in turn means there's not much changing externally.....a new front bumper with potentially larger front air intakes isn't exactly earth shattering. In fact, it little more than you'd expect from a new special edition. So, rather than being a '21MY refresh, what we've seen may well just be changes for the Mach 1. Unless, of course, these are just very early prototypes testing the drivetrain with visual changes coming later. But if that's the case, I'd expect to see more heavily camo'd prototypes very soon, as the '21MY would likely be shown April/May time. Time, as they say, will tell!

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Yes, I recall this specific article (in fact, I have it bookmarked!)

That why I'm still questioning the "facelift" we (or at least I ) have been expecting for the '21MY. The "prototypes" we've seen so far a very light in terms of camo.....which in turn means there's not much changing externally.....a new front bumper with potentially larger front air intakes isn't exactly earth shattering. In fact, it little more than you'd expect from a new special edition. So, rather than being a '21MY refresh, what we've seen may well just be changes for the Mach 1. Unless, of course, these are just very early prototypes testing the drivetrain with visual changes coming later. But if that's the case, I'd expect to see more heavily camo'd prototypes very soon, as the '21MY would likely be shown April/May time. Time, as they say, will tell!
I expect exactly what happened with the S197.
You had the major re-design just before the Coyote, then for 13-14 you had headlights/taillights.
2018 wasn't a crazy redesign. Just a newish front clip and, rear valence, and taillights.
I can see them introducing a new front/rear next year, then doing it again in 2 years or so.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
The Mach 1 will come in 4 color options: red black gray white. Nothing least of this date is slated for the production year.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The Mach 1 will come in 4 color options: red black gray white. Nothing least of this date is slated for the production year.
I want 20 different color options!

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
If the PP2 is the best Ford engineers can do. Were they forced to keep it to be less than a Shelby GT350? I would say yes.

Now, if a Mach 1 has to be at least as good as the PP2 but will it beat the GT350 ? There isn't much room in there to be had.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
race red or shitty red?

(by shitty red, I mean 'I wish I were a real red red')

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
No Azure Blue = Fail :frown:

At the very least they should offer Grabber Blue!
yeah, an azure or grabber blue, and race/bright red, plus black and yellow should be mandatory colors available for the Mach. and green too. It always looked great with bright popping colors and lots of contrast.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If the PP2 is the best Ford engineers can do. Were they forced to keep it to be less than a Shelby GT350? I would say yes.

Now, if a Mach 1 has to be at least as good as the PP2 but will it beat the GT350 ? There isn't much room in there to be had.
Yeah, it's hard to slot something in between a PP2 and a GT350, making me think these next better/faster models, may mean there won't be a GT350 to compete/compare against when they're released[?]

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, it's hard to slot something in between a PP2 and a GT350, making me think these next better/faster models, may mean there won't be a GT350 to compete/compare against when they're released[?]
Whilst nothing is official, its generally thought the GT350 is done after the current '20MY. The Heritage Edition (Wimbledon White/Guardsman Blue) is a last hurrah. This leaves the door open for Mach 1 to be more than just a Bullitt replacement :)
Sponsored