Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 Mustang Prototype Spied on The Prowl?!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
A 12" screen would certainly be a squeeze in the current location, but a 10" would fit I'm pretty sure. The current screen has a good inch of plastic around it on each side. Of course, there may be zero changes inside the '21MY......but digital dash aside, the interior has seen no changes from the '15MY, so if it's expected to last until '23/'24 for the next-gen car, that asking a lot of the current interior to last that long without a refresh. We need interior shots next time :camera:
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
A 12" screen would certainly be a squeeze in the current location, but a 10" would fit I'm pretty sure. The current screen has a good inch of plastic around it on each side. Of course, there may be zero changes inside the '21MY......but digital dash aside, the interior has seen no changes from the '15MY, so if it's expected to last until '23/'24 for the next-gen car, that asking a lot of the current interior to last that long without a refresh. We need interior shots next time :camera:
I expect all 21MY autos to get the GT500 style ebrake and dial shifter console and yes a 12 inch screen would fit portrait orientation in the current radio bezel. Every physical button would have to be removed aside from the toggles but it would fit. The telling thing to me was the lithium EV mustang concept had a aftermarket 12 inch portrait screen which to me suggests Ford is at least toying with the idea.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder how much the module for wireless carplay would cost, not sure if it’s the acm or what not.

I’d buy it though. Itl bring better versions of carplay/speedier too

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
Another thing that came to mind is I kind of hope they'll offer this trim in convertible as well. The S550 chassis is one of the few that has yet to offer any high performance convertible variants.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Another thing that came to mind is I kind of hope they'll offer this trim in convertible as well. The S550 chassis is one of the few that has yet to offer any high performance convertible variants.
Exactly why we will not see a Mach 1 vert. Ford does not really do high performance verts. Now if you want a friendly California Special.......:)

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If I recall correctly, convertible Mach 1s were only available in the '71-'73 model years. The original '69-'70 Mach 1s were Sportsroof only, and were coupes only for the Mustang II Mach 1s and the '03-'04 Mach 1s. So, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on there not being a convertible version of the new Mach 1

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
Exactly why we will not see a Mach 1 vert. Ford does not really do high performance verts. Now if you want a friendly California Special.......:)
I mean.. all of the prior GT500's came in convertible, as did the Cobra from 94-04. So there is precedent for it.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
If I recall correctly, convertible Mach 1s were only available in the '71-'73 model years. The original '69-'70 Mach 1s were Sportsroof only, and were coupes only for the Mustang II Mach 1s and the '03-'04 Mach 1s. So, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on there not being a convertible version of the new Mach 1
True... guess I could always keep my fingers crossed for a Gt500 convertible

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
Good point. Maybe there is something in the S550 body stucture that does not allow Ford to build H-P verts.
Possible, I'm also wondering if they're just becoming too powerful to do it without adding too much weight in stiffening components.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I don't think the Mach was ever available as a vert. the 71-73 verts had some of the same exterior treatment, including the hockey stick, but were not Mach 1s.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I don't think the Mach was ever available as a vert. the 71-73 verts had some of the same exterior treatment, including the hockey stick, but were not Mach 1s.
I should have done a little research.....you are absolutely correct, thank you! So, I think there's zero chance we'll see an S550 Mach 1 convertible! :)

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I should have done a little research.....you are absolutely correct, thank you! So, I think there's zero chance we'll see an S550 Mach 1 convertible! :)
to caveat, I have seen a crap ton of 71-73 vert mach 1 clones. seeing as how the only real difference in looks is the mach 1 stickers. I think the verts even had the honeycomb front and back.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
One was considered for the '03/'04 Mach 1, but as mentioned, there were no convertible variants, so it was decided to not offer one. The automatic transmission was delivered instead for those years.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
One was considered for the '03/'04 Mach 1, but as mentioned, there were no convertible variants, so it was decided to not offer one. The automatic transmission was delivered instead for those years.
And I really hope the 10-speed is an option this time! The DCT would be cool, but I don't see that happening. But a re-tuned 10R80? Bring it on Ford!
Sponsored