TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So how do you explain I have 1/4" and OP says originally 3/16"? Seems there is production line variations. If body shop achieves 5/16" that is an allowable variation given lack of jig.
OP said repairman was given a jig… well, template, which presumably is interchangeable…
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
OP said repairman was given a jig… well, template, which presumably is interchangeable…
Yes, they used a template and 1/16" is an acceptable variation. Unless someone is going to measure, say 600 Mach 1's, 10% sample, there is no way of knowing the variation on the production line.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Yes, they used a template and 1/16" is an acceptable variation.
I love that you’ve decided what the acceptable variation is.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
a jig is a plastic and/or metal frame that clamps in this case to the hood with defined pickup points and then the sticker is laid down within a defined channel, pads secure the sticker, the operator peels the backing and lays it down.

A repair shop prints out a big-ass piece of paper, tapes the pattern to the hood and then lays the sticker down, securing it with bits of tape and peels the backing.

Quibbling over 3mm fore/aft does strike me as pointlessly anal.

OP
OP

Jack4Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Thanks to those who sent a pic or info about the decal on their Mach 1

Here is another pic showing before and after, it gives a better idea of the difference

1641499257439.png

I admit it's not a large difference, but I would say it is noticeable.

When my repairer gets new decal, I'll try to get some pics of the template they get along with it.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

Here is another pic showing before and after, it gives a better idea of the difference

1641499257439.png

When my repairer gets new decal, I'll try to get some pics of the template they get along with it.
it is extremely noticeable because the remainder of the hood is now the same thickness as the black line, so the blackline is no longer a thin detail line, but a significant portion of the border. it is not just a difference of millimeters, it is shifting the effect of the black borderline by 33%.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Guys....I get it. But have you looked at the panel and door alignment on your cars? It seems for many owners there are many variations. Just another one I presume.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If I had a second crack at the sticker I might say move it back from the hood lip another 5 or 10 mm and eyeball that vs "factory" 10mm and see which looked the best.

Sponsored

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
We are not in Germany.

Kidding aside, I would ask the repairperson to do his best to match how it looks from the factory. Then have a nice Rye whiskey shot and call it a day

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

1641499257439.png

So the before red stripe is 10 mm wide, but after it is 6 mm, but the top edge of that stripe is the same, 10 mm or so. I see the edge of the black is at 17mm before and 16 mm after. I am sure the template indexes off the edge of the decal and I would say 1 mm is about as close as you can get. Just odd that the stripes themselves are different. Maybe the manufacturer of the stripes changed them sometime during the production run. I also assume the black and red is one decal, or is there a black decal and the red stripes are placed on top of the black?

Doug
Sponsored