Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 hood decal position

Jack4Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
After a minor accident in my 2021 Mach 1, the hood and the decal on the hood had to be replaced.

When the new decal was put on the hood by the repairer, it was not quite in the same position as before.

Before the damage, the decal started 3/16 inch ( 4.5mm ) from the top of the hood, and finished 3/8 inch ( 10mm ) from the bottom of the hood.

The repairer advised that the new decal came with a template that positioned the decal so that it started 5/16 inch ( 8mm ) from the top of the hood.

I've looked at a lot of Mach 1 pics and most seem to have the decal positioned as it was originally on the car when I received it, namely starting 3/16 inch from the top. Though there is the occasional one that seems to show the latter.

I've contacted Ford to see if they have an official view of where the decal should be located, but have not heard back from them as yet.

I'd like to think that some Ford designer had a specific position for the decal on the hood.

My query for those who have 2021 Mach 1's, where is your decal positioned ?

Has anyone else had to have their hood decal replaced and where did it end up ?

This is pic showing where the decal was positioned at the top and bottom of the hood before the accident:

1641418361056.png
1641418406404.png

This shows where the new decal was positioned

1641418729390.png
1641418753333.png

The pics with the white in them are of the bottom of the hood.

1641418101884.png
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
man, really need some better pictures. like, zoomed out so that we can see wth you are measuring.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I have it the same as you had before, it starts 4 mm from the top, ends 10 mm from the bottom. Same on the other Mach 1 I saw at the dealer.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I have it the same as you had before, it starts 4 mm from the top, ends 10 mm from the bottom. Same on the other Mach 1 I saw at the dealer.
while I do not have one, just looking at it it looks wrong, and looks different from all the others that I have seen. it should be slightly higher up the hood.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Can you only notice the difference with a ruler? Does it actually look different in a meaningfully worse way?

I know you didn't ask, but if it was me, and I was bothered by the new placement, I would just have it removed. The decal is kinda "meh"... and if it doesn't bother you, why does it matter?

OP
OP

Jack4Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
No I do not have the template, will ask repairer to see if can get pic of that.

I like the decal, think it looks good when looking out over the bonnet

I prefer it decal in original position, think it looks better that way, though if it had come from the factory in the 2nd position I would probably have been ok with that.

It's more that you would like to think that when Ford where designing the Mach 1, someone gave some thought as to where the decal should be precisely positioned, as opposed to someone saying just put the decal somewhere in the middle of the hood.

If the template does position the decal in the spot it is in now, then why doesn't it come that way from the factory ?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
No I do not have the template, will ask repairer to see if can get pic of that.

I like the decal, think it looks good when looking out over the bonnet

I prefer it decal in original position, think it looks better that way, though if it had come from the factory in the 2nd position I would probably have been ok with that.

It's more that you would like to think that when Ford where designing the Mach 1, someone gave some thought as to where the decal should be precisely positioned, as opposed to someone saying just put the decal somewhere in the middle of the hood.

If the template does position the decal in the spot it is in now, then why doesn't it come that way from the factory ?
I would want it in the factory correct position myself. Don’t settle for close enough.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I don’t have a Mach1 so I can’t be of any use on the placement, but if I did you bet your ass it would be perfect. The repair guy was paid to put it back to stock, not near stock.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Measured mine, it's exactly 1/4" from the top. This is a hand applied decal that is applied by multiple individuals at the factory. The OP says originally it was 3/16" and is now 5/16". Then add in template variations. The new decal is only 1/16" different than mine. I do not see an issue.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The repair guy was paid to put it back to stock, not near stock.
the factory has a jig that clamps to the sheet metal so it's foolproof. Relying on a printed-out template is not going to be as repeatable. And it also sounds like the 'dealer' version of the template could be wrong.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
the factory has a jig that clamps to the sheet metal so it's foolproof. Relying on a printed-out template is not going to be as repeatable. And it also sounds like the 'dealer' version of the template could be wrong.
So the factory has a jig and then doesn’t use it? Which is more likely, the factory and every replying is wrong and the repairman is right, or the other way around?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
So the factory has a jig and then doesn’t use it? Which is more likely, the factory and every replying is wrong and the repairman is right, or the other way around?
So how do you explain I have 1/4" and OP says originally 3/16"? Seems there is production line variations. If body shop achieves 5/16" that is an allowable variation given lack of jig.
Sponsored