2021 Mach 1 Handling Package Wheel Obsession

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
what comes with the HP Mach 1 are forged wheels. The $1000 ones from Ford performance is CAST aluminum. big difference, hence less price.
Wrong. Hp wheels are cast
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
what comes with the HP Mach 1 are forged wheels. The $1000 ones from Ford performance is CAST aluminum. big difference, hence less price.
there seems to be some question about that. Indeed given the dramatic (2.5x) price difference between the FP wheel-set offering and the individual wheel price, something is up. Either the guy(s) at FP don't know anything about the difference and think 'same shape == same wheel' or Ford has a remarkable ability to create both a flow-formed (possibly forged) and cast version of the wheel and have it come out weighing the same.

Unfortunately I think the 1000/set are in fact the same damn thing as on the HP, it's just that the Ford SKU is being wildly marked up. And as a consequence HP take-off wheels have no excess value.

Ford couldn't manage to stump for even flow-formed on the GT350 wheels so it seems rather unlikely the M1 would get forged of all things. Genuine forged do indeed can cost 650+ each.

Last edited:

tangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
there seems to be some question about that. Indeed given the dramatic (2.5x) price difference between the FP wheel-set offering and the individual wheel price, something is up. Either the guy(s) at FP don't know anything about the difference and think 'same shape == same wheel' or Ford has a remarkable ability to create both a flow-formed (possibly forged) and cast version of the wheel and have it come out weighing the same.

Unfortunately I think the 1000/set are in fact the same damn thing as on the HP, it's just that the Ford SKU is being wildly marked up. And as a consequence HP take-off wheels have no excess value.
I have come across various articles mentioning the HP wheels are forged. anyways cast or forged, there are better options out there.

1634737779833.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think Ford HQ actually planned on doing FF or Forged at some point (or journo's didn't pay attention) and so the ball of confusion got rolling. I have an actual set of forged rims (Shelby CS21) that I am happy to offer as a comparison against a naked M1/HP wheel.

I had a set of the 'premium' Ford split-5 spoke "forged" rims earlier this year. They are on @NoVaGT's car now. How 'forged' they really are is somewhat questionable given the price premium over standard PP1 was slight. At best I think they are FF. Marketing people are car-stupid. They should have the decency to keep the jargon/terminology straight but it's just words to them.

There is a very significant difference to the surface finish and texture of a forged wheel vs cast. Strip the paint off an M1/HP wheel and you'll see. Actually @Mikepol2 posted high-res pics of his wheels (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2021-mach-1-handling-package-wheels-tires-tpms.166451/) and they are definitely cast. You can see the texture, the draw.

The FP vs F price difference may be down to made in USA vs China.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Weigth and the official infographics tells you everything. It shaves off 2 lbs from regular wheels and the infographics says "forged with cast aluminum". I guess "forged" had better sound to the writer than "created", and then the misleading statements in few articles followed. They are cast aluminum wheels. FP are not morons when they confirmed they are identical to factory wheels.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ge-wheels-combine-performance-and-art.152679/

OEM PP2 wheels also cost more than 2x more than FP PP2 wheels, yet those at least differ in colour (and both are made in China while Mach 1 HP wheels are made in USA).

My guess is they created too many of them. Don't mind the price at all.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My guess is they created too many of them.
Actually I think they did this on purpose. They knew how popular these wheels were going to be and knew at the price they would sell like hotcakes. Ford is not as dumb as we think they are, sometimes. :giggle:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They knew guessed how popular these wheels were going to be and knew at the price they would sell like hotcakes. Ford is not as dumb as we think they are, sometimes
I think they figured to sell a decent number thru FP. But with MY21 Mach1 production being a fraction of expected, I think somebody gave the directive to discount them just to vacate the damn warehouse since MY22 wheels are inbound.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I think they figured to sell a decent number thru FP. But with MY21 Mach1 production being a fraction of expected, I think somebody gave the directive to discount them just to vacate the damn warehouse since MY22 wheels are inbound.
Haven't read anything about the 22' wheels being any different. If they're not no need to vacate the warehouse.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If they're not no need to vacate the warehouse.
the MY22 order was no doubt already contractually obligated back in early 2020 and minimum quantity locked in. So they're coming regardless. Ford could just stack 50ft trailers in a parking lot somewhere sure...

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
My set of the wheels will be here this week. I will
Post pictures and any other info I get about them.

Sponsored

SROhlms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Plenty of Ford Performance's offerings are identical to the part number specific versions assigned to specific models. Look at the fact they sell the GT500 spoiler for $500, while the same exact part with an assigned GT500 part number is $1,000+. The 19+ GT350 spoiler is the same, but with its own part number and another $1,000+ price tag.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base