Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 CONFIRMED in Leaked Ford Document!!!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, that would be a pretty epic spec......but 530hp from a 5.0 is probably unlikely, unless it really does feature some form of hybrid system to boost the power.

It's been too long since the last spyshots. I wasn't expecting to see any during the lockdown, but other cars are still being tested and spied......Bronco Sport being just one of them, so I'm checking the interwebs daily for any '21MY action!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's blasphemous for a true Mustang guy, but I really prefer the black. Just something about that chrome trim on that car in black really works for me.
don't worry I'll take the blaspheme cake - I'm going to put white and silver stripes on the green Bullitt should I get one.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
If it’s not April fools, the “Mach 1” will share 1FA6P8R with the anniversary.

It the Mach 1 is this and I can get it in a decent color, that just might be the one that would convince me to unass my anniversary. Have to see it first though.
Yep, that would be a pretty epic spec......but 530hp from a 5.0 is probably unlikely, unless it really does feature some form of hybrid system to boost the power.

It's been too long since the last spyshots. I wasn't expecting to see any during the lockdown, but other cars are still being tested and spied......Bronco Sport being just one of them, so I'm checking the interwebs daily for any '21MY action!
I think you’re right about the 530. 500 would be the most I see. I wouldn’t expect them to eclipse the gt350 just yet.

I’ll still be watching, but after telling the wife, I was washing the anniversary. And I started thinking about not having it and got anxiety. So, I really don’t think I’ll be ready for something. I do love this car. I am thinking I’d rather add sync 3, Ford pass and a little power to make it just perfect.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Engine torque does not have a relationship to the rate of acceleration of a vehicle. That's why 1/4 mile calculators use HP. You can't actually calculate how fast a vehicle will accelerate using engine torque.

Torque at the wheels IS meaningful, but I don't think you were talking about that. It's a long way around to calculate how much torque your tire is exerting on the pavement versus just using engine HP.

My friend, the torque curve is the rate of acceleration. Period.

If you plot the rate in which a car accelerate, it directly correlates to the torque curve in each gear. Horsepower is work over time, not power at that time. Horsepower is a fake term, that humans use to derive work over time. Not force applied... (You don't have hp on the shaft... you have tq. And hence, hp is calculated from that.)

Secondly, you have torque and gearing. Gearing just multiplies the torque you have, it doesn't make it. Gearing just uses what you have.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Yeah, I quite get the feeling that we might see a delay of MY2021 or even a pushback of the refresh. But I guess we will only know once flatrock is back at most of its capacity

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ford are clearly trying to get the factories open again, although there are going to be speedhumps along the way......

https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/uaw-union-fears-masks-wont-protect-workers-from-covid-19/

I also read a recent article (I wish I could recall where it was!!) that Ford would only reveal future products once production is underway again. Given new model year production is often around the September-ish, I'm hoping Ford won't need to push those particular dates back any further.

So, if the factories come back online by late this month, I'd hope we'd start to hear '21MY news in June/July. Of course, that's assuming we don't start to go backwards with regards the pandemic.

The most important thing though, is to ensure the safety of the workers. No new car is worth a single death.

EDIT - This was the quote
A Ford spokesperson sent us a prepared statement in response to the Detroit Free Press report: "We'll have more details to share on the timing of our upcoming all-new vehicles once we have safely brought our factories and facilities back online. Final timing is not yet determined."
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-deliveries-delay/

Last edited:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Absolutely, workers safety is the priority. For most people it's not the time to think about a new car anyway, so there is no rush to announce upcoming vehicles now.
With 2nd refresh, Mach 1 near the reveal and clarity that Gen 7 is also only about 2 years away it will be exiting years to come, no matter if they got pushed back or not. I really enjoy the topics here that hunt for every new reallife pic of a new model once it got revealed :thumbsup:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My friend, the torque curve is the rate of acceleration. Period.

If you plot the rate in which a car accelerate, it directly correlates to the torque curve in each gear. Horsepower is work over time, not power at that time. Horsepower is a fake term, that humans use to derive work over time. Not force applied... (You don't have hp on the shaft... you have tq. And hence, hp is calculated from that.)

Secondly, you have torque and gearing. Gearing just multiplies the torque you have, it doesn't make it. Gearing just uses what you have.
My buddy - I'm always open to learning. If you can show me a method to calculate how fast a vehicle will accelerate using engine torque, vehicle weight and NO OTHER INPUTS, I will agree that you are right and I am wrong.

However - it's just not possible. HP is the information you need to make the calculation. Whether it's fake or not, it's the best number to determine vehicle rate of acceleration. Engine torque by itself has nothing to do with how fast a vehicle will accelerate.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
There are many other factors to consider. Change in torque is the definition of horsepower. When and how that change occurs will determine how fast a car goes, no question about it. Horsepower calculators are often wrong, such as the one on DragTimes. Just not true. The torque multiplication in the axle ratio is critical.

To make it exaggerated, try putting a 500 hp car with a 2.50 final drive ratio up against a 4.10 final drive ratio and all things being equal, such as weight, horsepower/torque curve and traction, the 4.10 will get you there MUCH faster.

That's torque multiplication. That's another reason why the automatic transmission with a TORQUE converter gets the car moving quicker. That's another reason why an auto is faster at the strip. The stick simply cannot match the torque converter at the same RPM launch. You have to rev the stick up before launching. Also, another reason Ford put "launch control" in the new Mustangs.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The difference between torque and horsepower was explained to me as "horsepower is how fast you were going when you hit that wall and torque is how far you go through that wall". I have no idea what that means.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
HP is a measure of work. Torque is a measure of force. Torque is the only measurement that translates into moving an object. HP is just measuring how quickly (per unit time) you're generating said torque.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My buddy - I'm always open to learning. If you can show me a method to calculate how fast a vehicle will accelerate using engine torque, vehicle weight and NO OTHER INPUTS, I will agree that you are right and I am wrong.

However - it's just not possible. HP is the information you need to make the calculation. Whether it's fake or not, it's the best number to determine vehicle rate of acceleration. Engine torque by itself has nothing to do with how fast a vehicle will accelerate.
Nothing you are saying, will change the fact, that a torque curve (in any gear) equals the rate of acceleration.

Secondly, I don't think you even understand what HP is. You understand terms, but not their applied forces. Or actual work out in your head, how they work to put power down. I takes many people years, to understand what torque is, or how it's used.

But HP is calculated from torque. Again, torque is the real force being applied and horsepower is just a calculus of torque over time...

In the end, if you look at a dynograph of an engine, you can tell most of the engine's properties and how they would be applied in an application. Or exacted to the tarmac.

ed:
HP just gives the over-all relative performance of an engine, because the HP figure is it's potential. That is also why engine only ever hits is peak HP once. While peak toque can be continuous or broad throughout the whole powerband.

Last edited:

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DonaldTrumpFan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
The simplest way I can explain it is Torque gets you moving. HP keeps it going faster and faster once moving,

I had an FD 2750 lb LS V8 Road Race car with only 419RWHP. Road racing against 600RWHP similar cars they didn’t see which way I went on shorter tracks especially out of corners. On long tracks they could only pass me on very long straights. Once the HP took off.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Analogy with a pedal bike.
The force you push the pedal is torque and the speed you pedal is bhp. They are mathematically interlinked.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nothing you are saying, will change the fact, that a torque curve (in any gear) equals the rate of acceleration.
In order to determine rate of acceleration from torque, you need to know what all the gear ratios are and what the diameter of the rear tires are.

I have a theoretical car. It weighs 3,000 lbs. It develops 300 ft-lbs of torque. Please tell me how fast it will accelerate (you can't).

A different car, 3,000 lbs, 300 hp. NOW with that info you can tell me how quickly the car will accelerate.

Secondly, I don't think you even understand what HP is. You understand terms, but not their applied forces. Or actual work out in your head, how they work to put power down. I takes many people years, to understand what torque is, or how it's used.
I understand but you aren't reading and thinking about what I'm telling you. If you do the exercises above and open your mind you might understand.

But HP is calculated from torque. Again, torque is the real force being applied and horsepower is just a calculus of torque over time...
Exactly true. HP is a number that tells you how much torque is available at the rear wheels through gearing.

Engine torque is the real force being applied at the engine (I agree with you). And once again this is meaningless. You need to know how much torque is applied at the rear wheels in order to figure out how quickly a vehicle will accelerate.

The simplest way I can explain it is Torque gets you moving. HP keeps it going faster and faster once moving,

I had an FD 2750 lb LS V8 Road Race car with only 419RWHP. Road racing against 600RWHP similar cars they didn’t see which way I went on shorter tracks especially out of corners. On long tracks they could only pass me on very long straights. Once the HP took off.
There are no properties of torque and HP that are different at different speeds. See my replies above for more info.

Analogy with a pedal bike.
The force you push the pedal is torque and the speed you pedal is bhp. They are mathematically interlinked.
That is very true. You can push with the same force (applying the same torque) and if you are in a really high gear the bike doesn't want to move, but if you are in a low gear the bike will take off and you are immediately unable to pedal fast enough to keep up. This is a great analogy that helps people to understand why engine torque doesn't tell you how quickly a car will accelerate.

Most of us have tried to start out in too high of a gear in our bike and realized that it's too hard to accelerate. We are applying the same torque to the bike, but the bike just takes forever to get going.

If you go back to an engine - that's why HP is useful. It incorporates RPM. High torque at low RPM is still low HP and it corresponds to a lower amount of acceleration. If an engine has high torque at high RPM it makes a lot of HP and it is capable of very rapid acceleration.
Sponsored