Sponsored

2021 GT500: Manual Trans Option?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
a manual version of the same car will be significantly slower than the dct...
speed (presumably straight line on a prepped surface) isn't remotely on the criteria list or interest to a person looking/needing a H-pattern manual.

Just do a Jedi-mindtrick on yourself. The DCT is by every substantive definition a manual. It's just that Ford stole the stick and put those paddle thingies on the steering wheel. There's enough room to mount a faux H-shifter in the console and hit up your local computer weenie to program a Pi to signal teh same as paddles. A clutch pedal can be bolted to the floor I should think. Who says you have to hook it up to anything?

But really anyone driving a GT500 should know that sequential transmissions are the only proper and fitting application for a "pretend" race car and not only does a toggle joystick take up less room, the programming is even easier since it literally can only shift up or down and at one gear at a time. Just like the paddles.

First application of the shifter or clutch pedal simply actives 'M' mode and you get to 'row' your own gears till you get tired of that and expressly re-select 'D' with the rotary knob. How hard is that?

Who's up for a Kick-Starter?

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There are a lot of GT350 owners in here who had their eye on the GT500, and are not interested in a DCT or any other flavor of automatic.
Just as there were/are people that wanted an auto in a GT350.

I sense you don't own a GT500, nor do any of the others that pine for a manual in a GT500. These cars are so low volume that it makes no sense for Ford to offer both and I'm speaking to cost. Economies of scale are lost and suddenly the pricing gets more ridiculous than it already is if you split what little volume savings there is on a given powertrain combination with another one. Porsche, etc, can do it. Ford, not so much.

The GT500 is DCT only. The GT350 is manual only. That's the way it is. Make a choice that suits your needs and enjoy it. I loved my GT350 and I love my GT500. I had a 700+hp in an '09 GT500 and was happy with it too. The DCT is what attracted me to this car above all and I'm thankful for the opportunity to have one. We won't be seeing DCT electric Mustangs and I think this may be the only Mustang Ford offers one in. And I give Ford major credit for offering a DCT because they knew some would complain but they gave zero f***s about it too.

On edit, as R&T put it...

R&T said:
The Winner

It was the quickest vote in PCOTY history. A unanimous choice that should be obvious by now. The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is a true triumph, and one of the all-time great pony cars. A genre-redefining epic that brings a little Trans Am to the street and makes you feel like a hero on the track. There are so few cars like this, a willing partner thoughtfully designed and engineered to be a track rat and a back-road demon alike, an ultra-high-performance brute that’s useful in all kinds of weather. Even without our car’s optional Track Pack, the GT500 is beyond capable.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I always wanted a 2013-14 500. I just don’t think I could tolerate the handling and fit and finish of those cars after being spoiled to a 350 and taking a lot of looks at current 500’s. I still would love to have one for a few months, just not long term.
My son has owned a 2013 GT500 Glassroof with all options for 5 years in Cali.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
speed (presumably straight line on a prepped surface) isn't remotely on the criteria list or interest to a person looking/needing a H-pattern manual.

Just do a Jedi-mindtrick on yourself. The DCT is by every substantive definition a manual. It's just that Ford stole the stick and put those paddle thingies on the steering wheel. There's enough room to mount a faux H-shifter in the console and hit up your local computer weenie to program a Pi to signal teh same as paddles. A clutch pedal can be bolted to the floor I should think. Who says you have to hook it up to anything?

But really anyone driving a GT500 should know that sequential transmissions are the only proper and fitting application for a "pretend" race car and not only does a toggle joystick take up less room, the programming is even easier since it literally can only shift up or down and at one gear at a time. Just like the paddles.

First application of the shifter or clutch pedal simply actives 'M' mode and you get to 'row' your own gears till you get tired of that and expressly re-select 'D' with the rotary knob. How hard is that?
If you follow any real track racing you will see that most track cars ie: GT-3 and GT-4 that use DCT transmissions, there is no comparison to a transmission that can shift gears in milliseconds. There's no nobility in rowing the gears to a slower cause. I get it, you like playing with your stick, but you will go slower compared to a DCT. Speed itself is more fun than shifting your own gears.

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
The GT500 is DCT only. The GT350 is manual only. That's the way it is. Make a choice that suits your needs and enjoy it.

This should end the thread, but it won't lol. Enthusiasts of the Blue oval clearly have a choice, either the manual-only GT350, which is a great car or the DCT GT500 which is a great car. Pick your poison I say...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you follow any real track racing you will see that most track cars ie: GT-3 and GT-4 that use DCT transmissions, there is no comparison to a transmission that can shift gears in milliseconds.
sure, but racing for money has only 1 focus and will leverage any technology that leads to wins. It won't be long before they just dispense with the driver because admit it, the driver is slow, pathetic reflexes, gets squashed, can't handle G forces and makes an incessant string of stupid errors in judgement such that they can't help but put themselves and others into the wall in the first 3 corners of a race. See any F1 race for evidence. Hell soon I expect F1 will prevent a driver from turning the wheel in the direction or degree that would cause a collision with a car overlapping their own.

Soon the throttle/brake-by-wire and will just override the driver because it can micro-apply brakes to keep from running into the car ahead, knows precisely the condition of the surface under the tire, will prevent tire degredation and lockups. Soon the driver will just sit in the pit in a chair, fingers laced behind his head as the AI does it's thing. Because faster, far less damage opportunity, and consistent performance.
There's no nobility in rowing the gears to a slower cause
People who want to row their own don't care a whit about milliseconds to shift one gear to the next. They are far more enamored with the analog task of "getting it right", the joy of dancing on pedals and practicing the skill needed to do it well.

Even shifting with a DCT or sequential has been dumbed down to the point of why bother. They see a blinking light of a certain color out of the corner of their eye and pull a lever. Might as well be one of Pavlov's dogs. No need to actually look at the tach, or use ears to know when.

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you follow any real track racing you will see that most track cars ie: GT-3 and GT-4 that use DCT transmissions, there is no comparison to a transmission that can shift gears in milliseconds.
They're manual shifted sequential. Not DCT. And yes there is a huge difference. One being rules of IMSA for that matter. No dual cutch shift systems are allowed. They're also heavier and less reliable than sequential shifted boxes.

Sponsored

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I think this may be the only Mustang Ford offers one in.
I agree

Personally, I feel that what makes the GT500 really unique and special is the DCT. Someone else mentioned that Porsche will give you the option for a manual on the GT cars. That's true with the standard GT3, but there's a reason why they only offer PDK on the GT2/3RS. It's funny too, if you look on the Porsche forums, you also had some people complaining about a PDK only GT3RS.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I feel that what makes the GT500 really unique and special is the DCT
what happens when it starts popping up all over the place? Like in the Camaro, a special-spec S660, or the F150 Raptor? Ford likely bankrolled Tremec to come up with their first design, it'll damn well be used in as many future applications as possible in order to recoup R&D. I am surprised Tremec hit such a homerun on their first try. Then again they had a few other failures to study how not to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if VW was also a silent partner and it'll show up in 2-3 years in a US-market Audi RS5 instead of using a ZF-sourced part.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
what happens when it starts popping up all over the place? Like in the Camaro, a special-spec S660, or the F150 Raptor? Ford likely bankrolled Tremec to come up with their first design, it'll damn well be used in as many future applications as possible in order to recoup R&D. I am surprised Tremec hit such a homerun on their first try. Then again they had a few other failures to study how not to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if VW was also a silent partner and it'll show up in 2-3 years in a US-market Audi RS5 instead of using a ZF-sourced part.
Ford and GM paid for it:
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...ne-corvette-reportedly-have-same-transmission

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3

When I said unique and special, I was referring to the mustang line up. Again, I don't think you will see the DCT in any other mustang besides the GT500. As far as seeing it in other brands, the C8 essentially has the same transmission. To me that doesn't take anything away from the GT500. It's still a bad ass Mustang with a DCT.
Sponsored