Sponsored

2021 GT500: Manual Trans Option?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Most of us here struggle with it too. And if I had no clue about a DCT equipped GT500, a 10k option for stripes would likely turn me away as well. That said, there's always somebody that wants that option and will buy the car because of it. To each his own I suppose.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
My take on the subject is...

In the beginning, stripes were all painted because it wasn't particularly expensive.

Switching to vinyl was completely a cost issue and IMHO, detracted from the original concept. Granted, Ford got an arm an a leg for the option but, if you don't own a body shop, you'd pay a pretty dear sum to have them done aftermarket.

And Penske's are perfect, just like "back in the day."

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You can have stripes painted on for half of what Ford gets. Why people get the OEM stripes? Because they are original to the car. If you are going to check the $18,500 CFTP box, certainly you will get the stripes. On the other hand, why would you not check the CFTP box and get painted on stripes? You'd have a base car that is quite common. Who cares if you got factory stripes or not? Save yourself 5k.

Back the question of the thread... As epiphany pointed out, why would Ford spend money in R&D to make the car slower by adding a manual trans?

I wish the third pedal crowd would knock it off.

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
You can have stripes painted on for half of what Ford gets. Why people get the OEM stripes? Because they are original to the car. If you are going to check the $18,500 CFTP box, certainly you will get the stripes. On the other hand, why would you not check the CFTP box and get painted on stripes? You'd have a base car that is quite common. Who cares if you got factory stripes or not? Save yourself 5k.

Back the question of the thread... As epiphany pointed out, why would Ford spend money in R&D to make the car slower by adding a manual trans?

I wish the third pedal crowd would knock it off.
I think everyone can agree that it is slower with the manual but Ford should give the consumer the option to choose what type of transmission they would like regardless of the performance. Just like the new mach1 Ford lets the consumer pick between the auto and now the Tremec manual even though it’s a “track focused car”

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think everyone can agree that it is slower with the manual but Ford should give the consumer the option to choose what type of transmission they would like regardless of the performance. Just like the new mach1 Ford lets the consumer pick between the auto and now the Tremec manual even though it’s a “track focused car”
Then I think that ford wants you to choose between the two in the mach 1 platform. They don't want to give you the choice in the GT500.

As I have learned with Ford, if you don't like it, there is the door.

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Then I think that ford wants you to choose between the two in the mach 1 platform. They don't want to give you the choice in the GT500.

As I have learned with Ford, if you don't like it, there is the door.
Yep and they may not give us the choice but they did say if the demand was there then they would consider it and I would think the demand is there. If I had the option I would’ve chose that from the beginning. Guess we will have to see.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I wouldn't trade this "magically-delicious" gearbox for any manual, it's that dang good.

What, maybe five people here remember that slogan and who said it? :-)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Lucky Charms, a favorite.

jingram said:
Just like the new mach1 Ford lets the consumer pick between the auto and now the Tremec manual even though it’s a “track focused car”
Except you can't pick the auto if you want the Handling Package Mach, only the TR3160 six speed manual. And that is the car they are referring to when they say "most track capable 5.0" they've ever done.

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Lucky Charms, a favorite.

Except you can't pick the auto if you want the Handling Package Mach, only the TR3160 six speed manual. And that is the car they are referring to when they say "most track capable 5.0" they've ever done.
Yea and that doesn’t make sense you figured it would be more towards the auto than the manual side for that option. They should allow you to customize it how you want. Like the c8 there are so many options to configure. However at some point you can have too many options and it becomes a nightmare to figure out. With what little options I had to choose from on the 500 it took me forever to figure out a color.

Sponsored

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
I think it would have been nice also to give the option, but with the amount of power it turns out, they might not have wanted to have dealt with a manual and issues that would have gone along with close to 800 horses.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Ford has given people options... they ran the GT 350 2020 MY to give the third pedal crowd a choice. After 2020, then it's the Mach 1. NO WAY IS FORD FOING TO OFFER A MANUAL IN THE GT500.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I think it would have been nice also to give the option, but with the amount of power it turns out, they might not have wanted to have dealt with a manual and issues that would have gone along with close to 800 horses.
i can’t help but think that is also the main reason. Chevy dealt with it in the manual ZL1 by cutting the power with a self-induced “bog” and it’s really frustrating...but then on the other hand, i understand why they did it.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
What some don’t realize is the DCT is as much a focus point of the car as the 5.2, 760hp supercharged Predator. The DCT is as important to the 500 as those massive Brembo brakes. I’m a 3rd pedal guy myself but,,,, Ford got it right with the new 500. The DCT is one of the best features of the car. They will not offer a manual, sorry the DCT is just too good.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I guarantee I’d have ordered a manual If available. I’d be missing out on so much. This car with the DCT has elevated by driving skills tenfold!
Sponsored