Sponsored

2021 GT sound tube, and quiet exhaust?

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
@Weyland-Yutani .. can you share if you really noticed a difference?

Thanks in advance..
Yeah. For sure. It isn't drastic though. The exhaust is only a little quieter but it sounds like its in the rear where it belongs. It also made the stuff you don't want to hear (2K rattle, Diesel-sounding idle) more tolerable in that it is less tinny/shrill.

I only plugged the hole to try it, but I will eventually remove the whole thing. I'm actually not against manipulating sound, even if it was truly fake. In this case though, I just don't think the car is better with the sound tube than without it. I'd be down for a user-customizable ANC DSP piggyback for the factory audio though.
Sponsored

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
wow thanks for enlightening. i watched the borla video where they showed it and i could’ve sworn they showed quiet opening up a good amount to at least normal or sport numbers when at WOT. crazy. cool table though how did you get it?

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
wow thanks for enlightening. i watched the borla video where they showed it and i could’ve sworn they showed quiet opening up a good amount to at least normal or sport numbers when at WOT. crazy. cool table though how did you get it?
Requires a MPVI2(+) device - https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2plus/

Reading is free, 'tuning' means you purchase credits per VIN.

Treefrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium
Playing with the idea of trading up a bit, and want as much info as I can before going to the dealer. (And I'm almost there!)

Is Ford still putting that awful sound tube in the 2021 GTs? I'm pretty sure they were in the '20s, but not sure about the '21.

I have a '19 and taking the sound tube out wasn't the end of the world, but it was a nuisance. And the '21 I'm eyeing has a stabilizer bar over the engine, which may complicate removing it.

Also, for those that have the active exhaust and use quiet mode a lot, how much louder (under acceleration, not cruising) is quiet mode than, say, a typical sedan, crossover, etc.? My '19 doesn't have AE and is quiet while cruising, but not my cup of tea under acceleration (blasphemy in these parts, I know).

21 gt active exhaust here.

Quiet mode is quiet. It's quieter than my 2012 civic si.

I have an h pipe. This doubles the volume of sport and track mode. At least. This thing screams. Quiet mode still quiet, like take your grandma to church quiet.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Does 'tuning' mean that you can also alter these mappings with this device? For instance, can you make it use table 4 in Normal mode?

It's interesting to see how the tables it uses depend on the current gear. I didn't expect that. I wonder if this is also true if you have a manual gearbox.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Does 'tuning' mean that you can also alter these mappings with this device? For instance, can you make it use table 4 in Normal mode?

It's interesting to see how the tables it uses depend on the current gear. I didn't expect that. I wonder if this is also true if you have a manual gearbox.
Yes, you could set it up exactly as you like though remember modifying the PCM puts warranty at risk... even for this.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wow! Do you know what this means? The old dream of having the exhaust start in Track mode, so you don't have to fiddle with the Mode button each time, can actually come true. Just make it use table no. 4 in Normal mode in any gear, and that's it. :idea:

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! Do you know what this means? The old dream of having the exhaust start in Track mode, so you don't have to fiddle with the Mode button each time, can actually come true. Just make it use table no. 4 in Normal mode in any gear, and that's it. :idea:
car starts up so damn loud in even quiet mode that it doesn’t even matter 🤣🤣

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My '19 doesn't have AE and is quiet while cruising, but not my cup of tea under acceleration (blasphemy in these parts, I know).
I didn't care much for the stock non-active exhaust. From inside the car it sounded like a muffled rattle. I swapped the mufflers for a Roush axle back and it sounds much nicer (and yes it's louder).

If you don't like the tone it's OK. If you just want a completely quiet exhaust, then it is blasphemy. :crackup:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Thanks. I've just ordered one. :like:
If I understand correctly, one credit is per module per VIN. There doesn't seem to be a time or number of changes limit, as far as I can see. That is, if I use one credit, say, for the ECM for my VIN, then I will be able to configure the ECM in my car indefinitely, as many times as I want. Right?
How many modules can be edited in the Mustang?

Edit: I've found it on their web site. It's four modules in the Mustang, plus either two or four (depending on version) for the manual transmission control pack. And just two modules for my wife's Kuga.
I wonder what you can configure for the manual transmission. 🤔

Last edited:

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I've just ordered one. :like:
If I understand correctly, one credit is per module per VIN. There doesn't seem to be a time or number of changes limit, as far as I can see. That is, if I use one credit, say, for the ECM for my VIN, then I will be able to configure the ECM in my car indefinitely, as many times as I want. Right?
How many modules can be edited in the Mustang?

Edit: I've found it on their web site. It's four modules in the Mustang, plus either two or four (depending on version) for the manual transmission control pack. And just two modules for my wife's Kuga.
I wonder what you can configure for the manual transmission. 🤔
I believe the transmission control packs are for standalone units (engine and tranny added to donor car not OEM) like this - https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6017-M50B

4 credits in this case gets you unlimited programming for one VIN. You get another car you will need to buy more credits.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone please explain to me what the sound tube actually sounds like? I have no idea. My last stang was a v6 and didn’t have it, and this one has it, but I have no idea what sound I’m hearing that is the sound tube. I know it should be induction but it’s not like I hear any air sucking noises or anything.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Admittedly, I didn't drive the car with the sound tube long enough to have a qualified opinion, but it seemed to me that the sound was more or less the same as it is now (without the tube, that is), only it seemed to come from all around me, whereas now it comes from the rear, as it should.
But the difference is quite subtle.
Sponsored