2021 Ford Mustang Is Generally More Expensive Than 2020MY

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Per the linked article: " It’s important to note, however, that all 2021 Mustang models are now equipped as standard with the Ford Co-Pilot360 family of safety systems, which means customers will enjoy automatic high beams, blind-spot monitoring, lane-keep assist, pre-collision assist with automatic emergency braking, and more."

I think that was a $1000 package this year. On my 2018 all those features were included on the "Safe and Smart" package. In addition to those items above, the MY18 Safe and Smart package also includes rear cross traffic alert, pedestrian detection, rain sensing wipers, driver memory feature, sideview mirror and ambient lighting, and adaptive cruise (which works well in the Mustang, IMO). I'm not sure if all those are also included as standard in 2021.

The price increase is inline with inflation, no surprises here. Like someone else said - factoring in the extra tech., the prices are actually cheaper comparably equipped.
Thanks, I missed that article. I'd like to see the build your own site for 2021 when it comes out. '19-'20 Ford raised the base price $1k and a total of most options $1k more. It will be interesting to see what the cost of options is for 2021.
Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
That problem has already been solved, by smart bankers and stupid customers. Can’t afford the new car because you don’t make much money? Great news here’s a 72 month loan! Oh you still don’t qualify? How does 84 months sound! We’ll be seeing 10+ year auto loans pretty soon.
without 72 and 84 month loans, new (or even some that have been in a while) military members wouldnt be able to get a mustang, camaro, or challenger like they can now. We all know how common that is. So...i guess i support it as i was once new as well :cwl:

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That problem has already been solved, by smart bankers and stupid customers.
Cannot argue with the "smart bankers", put do not agree with your assertion that the buyers are stupid. Some are, of course, foolish if they are buying beyond their means. But you can default on a 72 month loan just as easily as on a 36 month one. Now for the others a lot depends on the interest rate. In my case I took the 0%/72 as the other options (rebate, etc.) would have cost more. I'd rather have my money invested and working for me than handing my dealer $50k.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Cannot argue with the "smart bankers", put do not agree with your assertion that the buyers are stupid. Some are, of course, foolish if they are buying beyond their means. But you can default on a 72 month loan just as easily as on a 36 month one. Now for the others a lot depends on the interest rate. In my case I took the 0%/72 as the other options (rebate, etc.) would have cost more. I'd rather have my money invested and working for me than handing my dealer $50k.
Did you think I was referring to people like yourself that got zero interest?
The majority of buyers are in fact buying beyond their means, which is stupid. Manufacturers and lenders know this, and in order to get them into cars they have no business buying they create loan terms to make it happen.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Disappointing for sure! As long as the wealth differential increases along with the funny money printing presses are in full speed, these types of increases will be universal. I was in the process of purchasing an ‘85 GT with money from my earnings while I was in college with a 48 month loan through FoMoCo, but my father would not co-sign the loan. The reason was not that I could not afford the payments because the payments were only going to be $148 and change, but my father was afraid at the age of 20 that I would wrap myself around a utility pole. How the times have changed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Did you think I was referring to people like yourself that got zero interest?
The majority of buyers are in fact buying beyond their means, which is stupid. Manufacturers and lenders know this, and in order to get them into cars they have no business buying they create loan terms to make it happen.
No, absolutely not. It just seemed like a general, not specific, comment. I certainly have no idea whether or not the “majority” of buyers are buying beyond their means. I do have an idea that many are and shouldn’t be. Of course, the same could be said about leasing.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
You might even better in the long run to forgo the 0%, take the rebate, and finance @ sub 3% with a credit union. Especially so if you keep your vehicles less than the loan term or can pay more from operating capital on a monthly basis. 0 isn’t really zero.

deathonapalehorse2020

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EB HPP HP
without 72 and 84 month loans, new (or even some that have been in a while) military members wouldnt be able to get a mustang, camaro, or challenger like they can now. We all know how common that is. So...i guess i support it as i was once new as well :cwl:
I respectfully disagree; military members, starting at E-5 upwards, make a decent paycheck, especially with the consideration the majoroty of military members are taxed at a lower rate/percentage than their civilian counterparts; most military members (stating at E-4) may receive at least two tax free monetary benefitst not calculated in their base pay (more if they qualify for any type of special pay...i.e. sea pay, flight pay, language proficiency pay, etc) stipends: a housing allowance (BAH) and a food stipend allowance (BAS). And not a penny of any these special allowances are taxed...another HUGE benefit civilians don't enjoy. Atlas1 is 100% correct; civilian or military, if you have to take a 72 or 84 month loan on a new car you can't afford the car. Either save longer to buy the car you want, buy a different less expensive car otr buy a used model of the car. A loan longer than 48 months isn't financially wise. The only "exception" that comes to mind is if a buyer takes an interest free (0% APR) loan for longer than 48 months. However, even with 0% APR, paying for a car for 6 or 7 years still isn't financially astute.

Your "blanket statement" about military members is simply entirely incorrect...and before you may be offended, I have served, estimating your age by your profile picture, since you were in early elementary school. Thus, I have seen many military members buy new cars on 36 and 48 month payment plans; they saved until they could afford a nice down payment or bought a less expensive car. Getting into debt over a car...any car...isn't smart, whether one is military or civilian. Lower paygrades in the military shouldn't be trying to be a 40K+ car in the first place....that is what gets younger people (again, civilians and military) into early financial difficulties that may take years to correct.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
It’s clear Ford is doing this to get people ready for what I bet is a starting price of 30k for an eco boost and 43-45k for a GT premium for the S650 in 2023. You can’t just go from 37 to 45. People tend to not realize it as much if it goes from 40/41-43/45k.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I will take the longest term (assuming the interest rate is still reasonable) possible for all my loans. This offers me the most flexibility and the lowest debt to income ratio possible. I pay them down in about half the time, thus pay less interest overall. But I retain the flexibility to make a lower payment if something catastrophic happens (or no payment depending on how the bank deals with the extra principal). This works for me. I know I end up paying a bit more in interest over the term, but I have run the math and too me the benefits outweigh the cost.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I respectfully disagree; military members, starting at E-5 upwards, make a decent paycheck, especially with the consideration the majoroty of military members are taxed at a lower rate/percentage than their civilian counterparts; most military members (stating at E-4) may receive at least two tax free monetary benefitst not calculated in their base pay (more if they qualify for any type of special pay...i.e. sea pay, flight pay, language proficiency pay, etc) stipends: a housing allowance (BAH) and a food stipend allowance (BAS). And not a penny of any these special allowances are taxed...another HUGE benefit civilians don't enjoy. Atlas1 is 100% correct; civilian or military, if you have to take a 72 or 84 month loan on a new car you can't afford the car. Either save longer to buy the car you want, buy a different less expensive car otr buy a used model of the car. A loan longer than 48 months isn't financially wise. The only "exception" that comes to mind is if a buyer takes an interest free (0% APR) loan for longer than 48 months. However, even with 0% APR, paying for a car for 6 or 7 years still isn't financially astute.

Your "blanket statement" about military members is simply entirely incorrect...and before you may be offended, I have served, estimating your age by your profile picture, since you were in early elementary school. Thus, I have seen many military members buy new cars on 36 and 48 month payment plans; they saved until they could afford a nice down payment or bought a less expensive car. Getting into debt over a car...any car...isn't smart, whether one is military or civilian. Lower paygrades in the military shouldn't be trying to be a 40K+ car in the first place....that is what gets younger people (again, civilians and military) into early financial difficulties that may take years to correct.
You must have missed the clear tongue in cheek mostly joking aspect of it, including the laughing face at the end.

You must have also missed the part where i emphasized on NEW military members. IE..NOT e5 or above. New would be e3 and below and there is a running joke of them getting one of the 3 "muscle cars" straight out of school. If you were prior military, you should know that.

Either way..lets assume an e5. My rank. Stationed in california. My BAH is too low to cover the BAH off base around me, so i pay out of pocket..OR i live on base and never see that BAH. Secondly..food (bas) i get a little over 300 a month for. That doesnt pay for all of my food. There is a reason military still qualifies for food stamps and always has. Making more than my civilian counterparts? Maybe if you have some job like personnel or something. My career makes over 6 figures STARTING PAY in the civilian and contractor world. The civilians i work with make 150k a year. I dont make nearly that much, no matter what way you hash it. Plus they still get 99% of the benefits i do, and it goes towards their 20 year retirement. Maybe you are referring to military police or something make the same..but a lot of other careers dont. I dont do it for the money, or else i would have already gotten out..but thats a silly statement to make.

Your whole entire last paragraph goes back to what i stated in my first paragraph..

Tons of new military get one straight out of training. i NEVER said it was smart, i said it happens..and again..it was mostly a joke. It's a running meme for a reason. Also..it was in no way a "blanket statement" about military members. At the most, it wasnt even a blanket statement about new members, but i do see it all the time.
Sponsored

Last edited: