2021 Ford Mustang Is Generally More Expensive Than 2020MY

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
When I did my buyback of my 2019 for a 2020 replacement the price went up about $900-1000 if I remember right just in that year. And they took the passenger seat from 6 way down to 4 and removed my driver seat map pocket.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
That sucks but its typical. but in long run those prices mean not a lot. what IM saying is you can go in and get dealers down on price. I had talked a dealer down to under 20 I think it was 19,500 for an eco boost before I decided to go with my gt.

what Im worried about in the long run is fixed pricing. Honda in Australia is gonna start a direct sales no haggle model. Where what they mark the car at is what's paid no if ands or butts. they are also starting to fight dealerships to go like tesla. I dont think loosing manuals and gas engines in the next 10 years is all thats gonna change in the car industry . Then those msrp prices will be fixed and not negotiable.

I know its a bit off topic but heres a link to one of the stories about fixed pricing starting. so much changing in the car world so fast.... https://www.caradvice.com.au/837331...l-scale-back-the-number-of-showrooms-in-2021/

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
That sucks but its typical. but in long run those prices mean not a lot. what IM saying is you can go in and get dealers down on price. I had talked a dealer down to under 20 I think it was 19,500 for an eco boost before I decided to go with my gt.

what Im worried about in the long run is fixed pricing. Honda in Australia is gonna start a direct sales no haggle model. Where what they mark the car at is what's paid no if ands or butts. they are also starting to fight dealerships to go like tesla. I dont think loosing manuals and gas engines in the next 10 years is all thats gonna change in the car industry . Then those msrp prices will be fixed and not negotiable.

I know its a bit off topic but heres a link to one of the stories about fixed pricing starting. so much changing in the car world so fast.... https://www.caradvice.com.au/837331...l-scale-back-the-number-of-showrooms-in-2021/
Consumers, by and large, like fixed prices and no haggling. They don't like paying MSRP, so you will still see "discounts" like GM and other makes do. Tesla has no reason to not sell at MSRP right now, but when they do they will discount. This is the trend and it will continue. Time is money, and I'd like to spend less time in a dealership whenever possible. I used to love the game, but not so much anymore.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Consumers, by and large, like fixed prices and no haggling. This is the trend and it will continue. Time is money, and I'd like to spend less time in a dealership whenever possible. I used to love the game, but not so much anymore.
I mean I see it, people are in a hurry and rather just spend their way out of it. but I like to save a buck where I can If I can take a 26k car down to 19 k for an hour of my time why not? Dont think ill like being told its 26k now pay up. I rather the chance to save 7k. I mean with fixed pricing they arent going to fix it at the low end.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
what Im worried about in the long run is fixed pricing.
Anybody here remember Saturn? Back in the day I bought two, one for each of my daughters. The dealership was an absolute pleasure to deal with. No haggling, no bargaining. Just a decent car at a reasonable price.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Anybody here remember Saturn? Back in the day I bought two, one for each of my daughters. The dealership was an absolute pleasure to deal with. No haggling, no bargaining. Just a decent car at a reasonable price.
Yeah but today what is a reasonable price? We are starting to see average cars pushing 60k Honda has said they are gonna drop sub 20k cars in most countries. Every day we are seeing more and more and more cars being listed at 100k. whens the breaking point? if you get rid of wheeling and dealing and manufacturers are left ot price at what they want... your gonna see the average prices go up. I mean My mustang at 52k was out of my budget, but between wheeling and dealing and haggling for an hour I got it down to 39 so now it was in my budget. Do you think Ford would put a fully loaded mustang gt premium in a showroom at a no haggle fixed price of 39k? I seriously doubt it.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

Internal combustion engines are not going to be lost in the next 10 years. We're at least 30 years away from any significant market share for electric vehicles, probably more. The infrastructure just doesn't exist to support millions of electric vehicles on the road.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Internal combustion engines are not going to be lost in the next 10 years. We're at least 30 years away from any significant market share for electric vehicles, probably more. The infrastructure just doesn't exist to support millions of electric vehicles on the road.
Guess you dont follow the news? California and now New Jersey have passed laws that by 2035 no new gas engine sales will be allowed. VW ( one of the worlds largest aut makers)has all ready said they wont make a single gas engine after 2026 and hondas on their way as well. its gonna happen sooner then later whether we like it or not. plus now what 4 car companies have dropped gas engine race development?

But this is not what the thread topic is about so lets no derail it.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
We are starting to see average cars pushing 60k
The average cost of a car this year is $37K. Your average Corolla, Accord and Sentra do not cost anywhere near $60k. Yes higher end models especially in the SUV & track category certainly can approach and past $60K but that's because American's love their creature comforts and load them up.

Every day we are seeing more and more and more cars being listed at 100k.
Didn't realize just how affluent Asheville was. :) Unless your speaking about low production high end cars from Europe there really aren't a lot of cars that come anywhere's near $100K.

At the time Saturn was competitive with other manufacturers. They just didn't play games. Had Saturn turned out to be more successful GM was planning on moving the pricing model to other brands. If they would have, Ford and Chrysler would have followed.

Keep in mind the only way for this to work is to change the pricing structure between the manufacturer and the dealer network. If this could be accomplished you would have a $52k MSRP car to start with. Would it go down to $39K? Who knows, probably not. Maybe one of these days we'll see.

Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Fixed pricing would also remove dealer mark ups (which just about everyone hates). You will always have the "end of year specials" that drop prices down on outgoing models for those who wait for them

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess you dont follow the news? California and now New Jersey have passed laws that by 2035 no new gas engine sales will be allowed. VW ( one of the worlds largest aut makers)has all ready said they wont make a single gas engine after 2026 and hondas on their way as well. its gonna happen sooner then later whether we like it or not. plus now what 4 car companies have dropped gas engine race development?

But this is not what the thread topic is about so lets no derail it.
California's energy grid is so bad that it has to borrow power from other states, and still has rolling blackouts. This is political posturing; California can't even support its existing electricity needs, and certainly won't be able to if it bans sales of ICE vehicles. How are they going to charge all those new electric vehicles on a daily basis? They won't build new fossil fuel power plants and don't want nuclear, and renewables will never be able to provide all the energy they need. Again, the infrastructure doesn't exist.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
California's energy grid is so bad that it has to borrow power from other states, and still has rolling blackouts. This is political posturing; California can't even support its existing electricity needs, and certainly won't be able to if it bans sales of ICE vehicles. How are they going to charge all those new electric vehicles on a daily basis? They won't build new fossil fuel power plants and don't want nuclear, and renewables will never be able to provide all the energy they need. Again, the infrastructure doesn't exist.
As per Briebee72........"But this is not what the thread topic is about so lets no derail it."

Can we please just discuss pricing not alternate fuel vehicles.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The average cost of a car this year is $37K. Your average Corolla, Accord and Sentra do not cost anywhere near $60k. Yes higher end models especially in the SUV & track category certainly can approach and past $60K but that's because American's love their creature comforts and load them up.

Didn't realize just how affluent Asheville was. :) Unless your speaking about low production high end cars from Europe there really aren't a lot of cars that come anywhere's near $100K.

At the time Saturn was competitive with other manufacturers. They just didn't play games. Had Saturn turned out to be more successful GM was planning on moving the pricing model to other brands. If they would have, Ford and Chrysler would have followed.

Keep in mind the only way for this to work is to change the pricing structure between the manufacturer and the dealer network. If this could be accomplished you would have a $52k MSRP car to start with. Would it go down to $39K? Who knows, probably not. Maybe one of these days we'll see.
As usual you are more detailed then I. I do have a bad habit of generalizing . :) I guess what im trying to say is I see Corvettes sayng oh we are gonna brig them out at 59... I haven't seen one yet and ive seen about 70 now, yes 70 I see alot of them in my circles, that has been under 100k. the new hummer 100k plus, gt 500 100k plus... the next civic type R limited.. which is basically a hatch with a new paint color.... 60k for a civic... My crew cab 4x4 f-150 new in 2007 was 17k now the truck that is comparable is almost 70k . Thats some hella inflation in a short time. My new 98 cobra yes I know 98 but it was fully loaded all everything and was 26k now the same /comparable car is over 100k . Mustang gts fully loaded could be had for under 20 now they are 50k . I guess my point is with the way inflation is going and car companies dropping sub 20k cars. buy time or if fixed pricing happens you are looking at 60k plus cars. Hell all Americans drive is suvs anymore anyway and those are all ready there.

Im not talking base price that Msrp bull they post on the internet and they made 2 cars at that price. IM talking real world pout the door what you pay for a car with some options. they are getting out of control. we are talking 7 year loans that are still 600 a month. Cars are closing in on house payment. Some people have a higher car loan then they do a mortgage loan.

Cars are getting too expensive and I guess i think if they go to fixed pricing yeah you get rid of the dealer BS but then I can promise youll be paying more. PLus dealers are not going anywhere in the US they have to many laws protecting them. what youll then see is manufacture fixed pricing but some way the dealer will find a way to tack on extras and inflate the price further. if not then what you will see is service prices go through the roof to compensate.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As per Briebee72........"But this is not what the thread topic is about so lets no derail it."

Can we please just discuss pricing not alternate fuel vehicles.
I wasn't the one who brought up the subject, but okay. Sure. :giggle:
Sponsored