Sponsored

2021 Camaro LT1 6-speed or 2021 Mustang GT Base 6-speed?

paradigm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Can anyone provide any insight between the 2021 Camaro LT1 6-speed vs a 2021 Mustang GT base 6-speed?

Torn between which to order.

The Mustang has better visibility, more interior space, better trunk room, easier to daily drive, the coyote sings at high RPMs and the overall car is subjectively better looking. However stock handling is soft, the getrag transmission is known to have issues, the coyote lacks low end grunt, and the car looks very "pedestrian" in stock form.

The Camaro handles better, is more driver oriented, the LT1 motor has plenty of low end grunt, the TR6060 trans shifts beautifully. However the visibility is poor and the interior is cramped.

I know this is a Mustang site so responses will likely be biased, but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're after a driving experience the camaro. But I would strongly strongly suggest you get the 1LE. The extra improvement makes up for all the warts in a decisive manner.

The mustang is weak suspension and chassis. But the fixes are well documented and fairly inexpensive.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
I like the Camaro. Unfortunately the design alone is enough to turn me off. That’s not a pretty face… New vs New they compare favorably; the Camaro probably the better performer but the Mustang probably the more livable. And in my area, Camaros have all but gone extinct. Occasionally I’ll see a base model one but I’ve only seen maybe <3 6th Gen V8s. They really aren’t selling well.

Sponsored

jag7885

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2020 Subaru WRX STI
Is the vehicle to be used as a daily? Most of the shortcomings you listed in the Mustang can be addressed with the aftermarket (if you were planning on modifications). However, the shortcomings for the Camaro can't really be corrected at all. It all depends on what you're willing to live with.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think I'd buy a new Mustang with the 6 speed. Ford messed up the gearing, which removes a lot of the fun from street driving the car.

I don't really like the Camaro either, though. Maybe for the right price...

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Just remember, Johnny Cade didn't say "Camaros are tough cars, Ponyboy".

The trunk space is something you're going to need someday but if you're using it as a track car who cares I guess.

Get a Stang and let us know as soon as you get it!

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I haven't posted in this though I thought about it a few days ago because my experience is going from a loaded GT to a ZL1. That said, I have owned both (2021 Camaro ZL1 A10 and a 2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, A10, and MagneRide) at the same time for a few weeks this past spring.

Obviously, performance-wise, the two aren't comparable. The ZL1 is better in every way from a performance perspective, and you're talking about the LT1 trim so I won't go into the performance differences between a ZL1 and GT.

That said, it sounds like you have a good idea of the pros/cons of each. Though, I would say the Camaro's interior doesn't feel cramped to me once I'm in it, but ingress and egress is better in the Mustang (Mustang has ~1" shorter doors, a taller roof line, a narrower sill, and a higher seating position with less aggressive bolstering than the ZL1 Recaros). With my ZL1, I find I have to tuck my chin into my chest as I'm getting in and out in order to not hit my head on the roof. I use the seat auto-exit position, while in my GT I didn't have to use that though it had the feature. Visibility is livable in the Camaro, but better in the Mustang. With the mirrors adjusted right it's pretty much a non-issue to me and it doesn't bother me.

The Camaro trunk isn't that small, but the opening is noticeably smaller than the Mustangs (and the Mustang trunk is indeed larger). This is actually due to the tall and rigid rear body structure and wide tail lights. That generally isn't an issue for me because I usually just have to fit a gym bag and laptop bag in there which obviously fit with no issues.

I like that my Mustang had lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control, but those may not be an option on a base Mustang (I'm not sure anymore).

The Gen 3 Coyote is a great engine, but the Tremec M6 trans and gearing is better in the Camaro (closer ratios), and the LT1 is a good engine as well.

They get a bad rep., but the location of the center climate vents in the Camaro is actually good - I like the center vents to blow cool air on my torso, and when they are mounted up high as in the Mustang, it doesn't do a very good job of that. The lower vents can be aimed upward to blow air at my chest. I also like the air temp. adjustment ring around the vents.

There's no sunglass drawer in the Camaro, which I wish it had. The center console is tiny, but I live with it.

The LT1 Camaro is lighter than a base Mustang as well. The Camaro has a sportier feel while driving and in the cockpit. The Mustang felt like a floaty sedan after driving my ZL1. It never gave me that impression until I drove a ZL1, then I realized how much play there was in the suspension and body motions - and I had a PP1 with MagneRide which by all accounts is a massive step up from a base GT. Side note, this doesn't affect you, but the A10 trans. programming in the Mustang was terrible compared to my ZL1.

Base Mustang GT comes with silly 18" wheels w/ 235 mm wide all season tires - a joke for a 460 hp car (err, I mean 450 hp for '22) IMO.

I suggest you drive both of them to decide which you like. They are both great cars, the Camaro probably a better "sports car" and the Mustang a slightly more livable DD and GT car.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If there are concerns about the lack of low end grunt , all you have to do is put some 4.09 rear gears in the Mustang and you will have plenty of low end grunt. Ford had to put less desirable gears in the rear to get the best fuel mileage.