Sponsored

2021 A10 driving tips for a new owner

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My car is pretty new so I’ve only done a couple pulls in drag mode. I never thought about turning TC off, but the car was pretty loose all through first gear and had noticeable spin at both the 1-2 up shift as well as 2-3 And that’s with 3.15s. I did not notice any bogging that would indicate TC was cutting anything back. In fact, I’d say the shifts were real hard and only came at about 7500 rpm. Tell you the truth I was pretty impressed; I didn’t know these regular GTs were this strong.

Guess I’ll have to turn off TC (not ESC) and see what the difference is.
If the car is spinning and you had traction control on, then some power was cut, regardless if you felt it by seat dyno or not.
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I've had it cut throttle at some pretty high speeds when cold outside and it freaked me out thought the engine was acting up for a second.

As for break in I didn't baby it nor did I beat it. The A10 in sport mode is great for varying the revs up and down.

OP
OP
FinitePrimus

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thanks everyone for the advice! Already starting to enjoy it!

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
According to the Owner's Manual, the break in procedure is:
---
BREAKING-IN

Tires
New tires need to be run-in for approximately 300 mi (500 km). During this time, you may experience different driving characteristics.
Brakes and Clutch
Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 mi (150 km) in town and for the first 1000 mi (1,500 km) on freeways.
Engine
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
---

Doesn't sound like "beat on it" is Ford's idea of proper break in procedure. My mustang doesn't burn oil and I definitely didn't "beat on it" during the break in period.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
My break-in was a 3600 mile 6 state road trip.

015.JPG

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
According to the Owner's Manual, the break in procedure is:
---
BREAKING-IN

Tires
New tires need to be run-in for approximately 300 mi (500 km). During this time, you may experience different driving characteristics.
Brakes and Clutch
Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 mi (150 km) in town and for the first 1000 mi (1,500 km) on freeways.
Engine
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
---

Doesn't sound like "beat on it" is Ford's idea of proper break in procedure. My mustang doesn't burn oil and I definitely didn't "beat on it" during the break in period.
You think the same information from 80 years ago is still good information today?

We've tried explaining this to everyone here, but do what you want to do. Don't let all the examples right here on this very board change your mind.

Don't think for yourself.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You think the same information from 80 years ago is still good information today?

We've tried explaining this to everyone here, but do what you want to do. Don't let all the examples right here on this very board change your mind.

Don't think for yourself.
Don't think for yourself (no need) - follow the manufacturer's guidance. It's printed there for a reason !

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Don't think for yourself (no need) - follow the manufacturer's guidance. It's printed there for a reason !
It's completely wrong. Has been for decades. Knowledgeable people know this.

Do you think that same wording, that's been around for decades, applies to plasma-arc welded cylinder liners just like it does for sleeved aluminum blocks, or cast-iron blocks?

Surely, you must be joking.

Critical thinking, and all that.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
It's completely wrong. Has been for decades. Knowledgeable people know this.

Do you think that same wording, that's been around for decades, applies to plasma-arc welded cylinder liners just like it does for sleeved aluminum blocks, or cast-iron blocks?

Surely, you must be joking.

Critical thinking, and all that.
What like the knowledgeable people who design and build engines at Ford !

If you want to be taken seriously don't post silly comments about 'It'll burn oil if you don't beat it up' when quite clearly there are plenty of cars that have been treated as Ford suggest and don't burn oil. Sweeping statements like that just undermine the knowledge you profess to have. I've always run in my engines as per Ford guidance (more than a dozen new Ford cars over the years) and none have ever gone on to burn oil, some some having covered very high mileages too.

The reality is modern engines are built to much better tolerances than old engines and will take a lot more abuse without failure. Just because they will tolerate abuse doesn't mean you have to abuse them.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I’m new to the A10 in my Mach 1 coming from manual Mustangs.
Tonight I was having fun doing some pulls with the paddle shifters and I pulled fifth gear to the red line or past when It cut the gas and dropped me down to 6000 rpm’s
Is this normal?
Everything ran and sounded fine after.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Hey guys, I’m new to the A10 in my Mach 1 coming from manual Mustangs.
Tonight I was having fun doing some pulls with the paddle shifters and I pulled fifth gear to the red line or past when It cut the gas and dropped me down to 6000 rpm’s
Is this normal?
Everything ran and sounded fine after.
I think it is normal and that you likely lost traction so it cut the throttle. I have had this car break loose at some very high speeds in 4th or 5th gear. Once this engine gets to about 5000 RPM it pulls so hard it can break the tires loose.

Edit: Oops I didn't notice you were at 7500ish and you hit the rev limiter nm what I said.......

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I pulled fifth gear to the red line or past when It cut the gas and dropped me down to 6000 rpm’s
That's the whole point of a hard rev limiter...it cuts throttle/fuel/spark to bring down the RPMs when you've gone too high.

It's fine for now, but I wouldn't make a habit out of banging off the rev limiter...this is how you break OPGs.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
That's the whole point of a hard rev limiter...it cuts throttle/fuel/spark to bring down the RPMs when you've gone too high.

It's fine for now, but I wouldn't make a habit out of banging off the rev limiter...this is how you break OPGs.
Ok, makes sense.
Definitely wasn’t traction control.
My brain hasn’t gotten used to paddle shifting yet

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
My brain hasn’t gotten used to paddle shifting yet
Yeah on the street it's a hard thing to remind yourself that you have to pull the paddle for the shift, I usually leave it in auto mode.

On the track, where my focus is fully on RPMs and gear selection, I will use the manual paddles.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I wouldn't make a habit out of banging off the rev limiter...this is how you break OPGs.
Provide one 1st hand account of this happening. Or 2nd hand.

It's fine OP. Nothing to worry about.
Sponsored