2021 10R80 Shifting Questions

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Forgive me if this is discussed somewhere else, but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. When I had my 2019 Ford Edge ST, the normal 8 spd action was not great with hunting gears, and in Sport mode it was a blast. The 10R80 in the GT is better in Normal mode than the 8spd, but sometimes it gets into 10th at say 60 mpg, and tends to lug and launch. Same issue the edge had in Normal with the EcoBoost. You get used to that and drive around it, the 10R80 is still miles better than the 8spd.

One question is, is the lugging a concern on this transmission? I generally use Normal in easy driving. If I'm in traffic or need to hit an on-ramp I put it in sport. In traffic it won't get into 9th or 10th as easy and behaves better but drinks more fuel. Normal is way more effecient.

Another question is, in sport it tends to engine brake, and shift more firm. Is the engine braking a concern for longevity, and I ASSume the firm shifts are actually better for longevity?

Thanks for any pointers.
Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Jason,

I have a 2020 Mustang Auto GT Premium.
When I drive in Normal mode, my biggest complaint is it stays in too high of a gear and it feels like the car is bogging when I step on it. I don't think the lugging will hurt the transmission since its just following the stock, factory tune.
What you described in sport is basically how it is supposed to drive. Try driving in Sport Mode+ and you will see more firm shifts and engine braking. Again, I don't think it will hurt the car since it is programmed like that from the factory.
What I found with this 10r80 transmission is on cold start-up or first start of the day, I drive in normal mode until the car gets warmed up (10 to 20 minutes). Then, I switch to Sport Mode+. Once the car is warmed up, the jerky shifts, bucking, weird behavior seems to disappear and it drives smoother.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
It does seem to drive better once warm, but even the manual mustang does that. I did talk to a guy I know who owns a business that does heavy hauls on large trailers with semis and uses a fleet of F150s as support. They have been seen the 10R80 tranny last 175k miles on average. And the tranny doesn’t die the torque converter shreds. Either way that’s pretty good.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Forgive me if this is discussed somewhere else, but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. When I had my 2019 Ford Edge ST, the normal 8 spd action was not great with hunting gears, and in Sport mode it was a blast. The 10R80 in the GT is better in Normal mode than the 8spd, but sometimes it gets into 10th at say 60 mpg, and tends to lug and launch. Same issue the edge had in Normal with the EcoBoost. You get used to that and drive around it, the 10R80 is still miles better than the 8spd.

One question is, is the lugging a concern on this transmission? I generally use Normal in easy driving. If I'm in traffic or need to hit an on-ramp I put it in sport. In traffic it won't get into 9th or 10th as easy and behaves better but drinks more fuel. Normal is way more effecient.

Another question is, in sport it tends to engine brake, and shift more firm. Is the engine braking a concern for longevity, and I ASSume the firm shifts are actually better for longevity?

Thanks for any pointers.
Hey Jason,

Welcome aboard and congrats with the new S550!

This thread is the 10R80 catch all thread. Post 1, page 1 contains almost everything one would ever want to know about the 10R80. There's links and PDFs to the shift strategies, harsh shift info, TSB's, upgrades, etc.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/
Sponsored