Sponsored

2020 Toyota GR Supra vs. 2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350: Which Is the Better Driver's Machine?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the GT350 overheated so fast because the front splitter fell off. I'm surprised they used that in their film. Randy P was complaining about understeer a lot. I get it - the air flow at the front of the car will be completely different with no splitter. And yes, I think the GT350 understeers in stock form, but it's obviously going to understeer a lot more without the splitter!

It's funny - they took the time to put stickier non-stock tires on the Zupra to try to make it more competitive at the road course, but they couldn't be bothered to reattach the splitter on the GT350 and run a lap with it on the car.

Really poorly done comparison if you really want to have a fair test, but I understand their goal is more to entertain rather than having the most accurate comparison possible.
Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
I think the GT350 overheated so fast because the front splitter fell off. I'm surprised they used that in their film. Randy P was complaining about understeer a lot. I get it - the air flow at the front of the car will be completely different with no splitter. And yes, I think the GT350 understeers in stock form, but it's obviously going to understeer a lot more without the splitter!

It's funny - they took the time to put stickier non-stock tires on the Zupra to try to make it more competitive at the road course, but they couldn't be bothered to reattach the splitter on the GT350 and run a lap with it on the car.

Really poorly done comparison if you really want to have a fair test, but I understand their goal is more to entertain rather than having the most accurate comparison possible.
That Toyota money though...

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Motortrend on demand just did a comparison between these two.

They did the tail of the dragon and preferred the GT350 overall, but the size of the Supra was preferred.
They did a drag strip and the Supra was faster, but both were way slower than they should have been Supra trapping around 106 and the GT350 trapping 109. Must have been hot, they both were drenched in sweat.
They then did the full 3.15 mile NCM Track. Tested the Supra on non-R and R compound tires but both were far behind the GT350. The GT350 did overheat though.

GT350: 2:16.75
Supra non-R Compound: 2:23.01
Supra R Compound: 2:20.82

Overall they said the GT350 won slightly, but would have won by more if it didn't overheat.
Motortrend is something really. Now because of this comparison video people are going to use the overheating excuse against the GT350. I thought Ford took care of this at the end of 2016. Anyways, Supra never had a chance and it even lost to a GTPP with 10 speed in the throttle house quarter mile comparison and almost dead even on the road coarse.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Yep. I overheated my car when it was completely stock at COTA in 100* weather. Took a full session to do it, but it hit limp mode. I now have a bigger engine oil cooler and huge hood vents and I can't get it to overheat anymore :)
Doesn’t it help drilling all the closed honeycomb holes on the grill?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Doesn’t it help drilling all the closed honeycomb holes on the grill?
It’s a trade off for minimal change. The open grille area is hitting the radiator. the closed portion os to help aero and control turbulence under hood.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The point was to poke fun at the notion that only this or that feature makes a "driver's" car. Anything can be a driver's car if it gets driven for the joy of driving. Drivers make the car, not the parts and pieces.
I can tell you for sure my Fiesta is not a drivers car there is no way you can make it a drivers car.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but you made a broad statement about not every car being a drivers car, citing the Fiesta as an example. You got shot down, and are trying to backtrack by saying YOUR Fiesta isn't a drivers car. I still contend it's not the car, it's the driver:like:.
Not the Fiesta as whole but my concrete trim is not a drivers car. Are all Fiesta's drivers cars or is only the ST a drivers car ?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Especially the Multipla. Can you imagine losing to this? With the right driver, your Fiesta might have met its match.
This is even more wrong than the Mustang Mach E :(
Sponsored