Sponsored

2020 Toyota GR Supra vs. 2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350: Which Is the Better Driver's Machine?

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Below 60 mph, I'm never IN top gear. So, I have zero use for "top Gear 30 - 50 mph."

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
I honestly think the stinger looks more like american muscle than the supra.

As for the 350 vs the supra, the numbers tell the story of a large compact car versus a subcompact. Not a fair comparison with power/weight. My 05 focus has more room than a supra; I think a supra is good if you are not a large guy. If you are over 200 and 6ft, I think you might be cramped a bit.

People don't buy a GT350 because it is a "fast car" they buy it because its a GT350. I doubt ford will have any trouble selling them... but I think the supra is not having the start Toyota wanted (especially with as much advertising they have done). I can't remember the last (non-local) commercial I have seen about a 350 so ford is taking that bag to the bank. I would like to see the numbers that Toyota spent on advertisement.

-Edit-
Can you picture a modern midengine mustang or an all-wheel drive mustang. I think the world would implode.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Street races don't tell you much except who has less regards for the safety other traffic. It's usually the bigger idiot.

Want results, go to a track ... and I mean a road course, not a drag strip. Get best lap time of the first 5 laps. While the Mustang is no slouch on a road course, I'd bet the Supra isn't, either. It would be fun, either way. I'd rather have the manual transmission, but the auto would be just fine, too.

I made a choice. There is a 2019 Mustang GT (unmodified except for tires and wheels) in my garage. I am not the least bit sorry, but neither am I sorry for the new Supra owner. Nice car. It isn't about who is more correct, it's all about whether or not YOU are happy with YOUR choice. I am, and I don't have to "show off" on the street to be happy with my choice.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Motortrend on demand just did a comparison between these two.

They did the tail of the dragon and preferred the GT350 overall, but the size of the Supra was preferred.
They did a drag strip and the Supra was faster, but both were way slower than they should have been Supra trapping around 106 and the GT350 trapping 109. Must have been hot, they both were drenched in sweat.
They then did the full 3.15 mile NCM Track. Tested the Supra on non-R and R compound tires but both were far behind the GT350. The GT350 did overheat though.

GT350: 2:16.75
Supra non-R Compound: 2:23.01
Supra R Compound: 2:20.82

Overall they said the GT350 won slightly, but would have won by more if it didn't overheat.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How would you get a GT350 to overheat? Block the radiator? Or were they running a 2016 tech pack car?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
On Instagram Jonny said it was over 100 on the day they track tested, so it makes sense.

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Motortrend on demand just did a comparison between these two.

They did the tail of the dragon and preferred the GT350 overall, but the size of the Supra was preferred.
They did a drag strip and the Supra was faster, but both were way slower than they should have been Supra trapping around 106 and the GT350 trapping 109. Must have been hot, they both were drenched in sweat.
They then did the full 3.15 mile NCM Track. Tested the Supra on non-R and R compound tires but both were far behind the GT350. The GT350 did overheat though.

GT350: 2:16.75
Supra non-R Compound: 2:23.01
Supra R Compound: 2:20.82

Overall they said the GT350 won slightly, but would have won by more if it didn't overheat.
is 2019 aero is blocking more air? 2016 ones took a beating in Chuckwalla all day with no issues

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
On Instagram Jonny said it was over 100 on the day they track tested, so it makes sense.
@honeybadger runs his GT350 in Texas heat all the time. I wonder whether he has had to add cooling? As far as I know it's very rare for a GT350 to get hot.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@honeybadger runs his GT350 in Texas heat all the time. I wonder whether he has had to add cooling? As far as I know it's very rare for a GT350 to get hot.
Yep. I overheated my car when it was completely stock at COTA in 100* weather. Took a full session to do it, but it hit limp mode. I now have a bigger engine oil cooler and huge hood vents and I can't get it to overheat anymore :)

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Supra may not overheat, but....

It's not like ford has never had lawsuits or recalls, but welds? DAMN!
According to a few sites, it's the seat-belt loops, it's a few cars, Toyota will do the inspection and it's a simple thing to ID, people who do have a car with an issue, get a replacement.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to “fix” the bad welding after the fact, so folks will be getting a whole new Supra. That's a pretty drastic measure, but the recall is minuscule. Only seven Supras are potentially affected, making this one of the smaller recalls we’ve ever reported on.
For some reason people are making a big deal out of the fact BMW is issuing the recall, I think most of us know how close the collaboration is between BMW and Toyota on this car.

Side note: HFS, I'd like to punch Scotty in the face ...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
was probably a welding robot that had a malfunction (or programatic typo) and diagnostics didn't catch it nor weld-inspection.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Noted, but he looks spry. His ground game might be solid.

In all seriousness, I thought the supra was doing too much advertising. It was like they were tugging on the "member-berries" a bit too hard. I was one of the ones unaware that it was a BMW partnership. Don't get me wrong, the car looks fast as arse on paper and on youtube, but I do not think it is comp for mustangs based on target group.

As for the recalls, I understand that it is a new, new, car. That being said, a track designed and tested car from toyota and bmw with ANY recalls is concerning.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely destroyed a Supra afew days back, people buy them because they think its fast, boy was this person dissapointed.
Sponsored