Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
With all this talk over the 2020 Shelby GT500, it’s no wonder that many are wondering how it pairs to its now little brother, the Shelby GT350R. By the numbers, they are certainly two different vehicles that cater to two different kinds of drivers.

The Shelby GT350R is an all-around driver's car that has just the perfect amount of power for a well-balanced ride whether it’s on a backroad or road course. On the other hand, the Shelby GT500 takes all of that and turns the volume knob up to 11 - raw power with zero compromises for performance whether it’s a straight line or hard cambered turns.

Check out more on our blog below.

https://www.steeda.com/shelby-gt500-vs-shelby-gt350r
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
It's a no brainer, the high reving V8 with a stick shift is the winner.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
the Shelby GT500 takes all of that and turns the volume knob up to 11 - raw power with zero compromises for performance
Not entirely true. Weight for one is a compromise, as is the DCT 7-speed trans, gear ratios could be a lot more aggressive.

Just my humble opinion.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If anyone wants to share upcoming lottery numbers or SPCE share price for some options plays I’ll do just that!:like:
The key for me was that I was able to pay all my Rs off, I'm trading the yellow one in for the 500CFTP. I got a screaming trade in value for the TY R, and I'll have a reasonably small balance on the new 500. The car I'm trading in is the one with the most miles. The AG R just broke 1000 miles today, and the base white R has only 300 miles. I think I'm set for a while.

20200219_153511.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I get having multiple sportscars. But, if I had the space, they would all be different vehicles. Any reason you have 3 of the same one though? My wife also just said she wouldn't want both a Corvette and a Viper because they are too similar...
One is a rare base R (collector), the AG R is my all around sports car, the TY R was my track car. The TY R is being traded in for the CFTP GT500 (which will be my new track car).

It makes perfect sense, lol

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Just get one of each
I highly concur, if you can make it work. Best of both worlds and nothing is left to be desired since your heart will be content...:rockon: or maybe that's just me...lol

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Even though I've never driven the GT500, I have a strong feeling the GT500 won't capture the same accolades the GT350/R has over its lifetime. 2 time runner up to drivers car of the year, losing both times to cars double the price or more of the 350R, says something.
GT500 is a brute and is fast, and I may end up with one later this year, but if my '17 had a motor in it that I trusted to last 75 to 100,000 miles, i would for sure keep it, but being as it is, I'll probably move forward. I may regret it :(

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Even though I've never driven the GT500, I have a strong feeling the GT500 won't capture the same accolades the GT350/R has over its lifetime. 2 time runner up to drivers car of the year, losing both times to cars double the price or more of the 350R, says something.
GT500 is a brute and is fast, and I may end up with one later this year, but if my '17 had a motor in it that I trusted to last 75 to 100,000 miles, i would for sure keep it, but being as it is, I'll probably move forward. I may regret it :(
The development driver told me personally that the 500CFTP is exponentially better than the R in every way. He told me this as I watched him do things to my R around Daytona that I did not think possible.

The jury is out. Its a shame mine didn't come in time.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
...yes. Still not sold on the "collector" aspect, but you enjoy them any which way you want.
Its 1 of 125. These cars are going to be passed on to the next generation. They will have value in that time frame.

Edited to add:
Furthermore, the GT350R is (was) one of the best bang for your buck sportscars out there. Many hard core enthusiasts from other camps sought them out and paid large ADMs to get them. The run was so successful, that it went from a 3 year projected run to a 6 year run..... And they are still selling.

The price has been affected by the new and upcoming GT500, but that is to be expected.

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The development driver told me personally that the 500CFTP is exponentially better than the R in every way. He told me this as I watched him do things to my R around Daytona that I did not think possible.

The jury is out. Its a shame mine didn't come in time.
While I don't deny that it will run circles around a 350R (and it should with over 200HP more) it's just not going to get the same accolades for a drivers car, it just isnt. Wait and see my friend

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I think you're underestimating the hype around the Shelby badging. That plus the additional performance might be enough to push it over the edge with the same review outlets. Then think about a potential GT500KR.
Nope, I'm not underestimating it and I highly doubt there will be a KR. A manual transmission might help the driving experience though, but that's a pipe dream as well. Everyone will have their opinions, so let's just see how it plays out.
Sponsored