2020 Shelby GT500 vs. GT350R: Autocross Back-to-Back Comparison

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It would have been interesting to see a GT PP2 and an EB performance pack car run as well same day same driver on this very small autocross course. I wouldn't be surprised if the GT PP2 is very close to the GT350 times on a tiny track like that. Heck, it might be faster than the GT350. I know the times I ran small courses with the GT350 I had to be gentle with the car and it was tough to use the power even of the GT350.

Hopefully before long we will see the GT500 on a larger course.
caranddriver had the PP2 vs GT350 and even thought the pp2 stopped quicker and had more lateral grip (apparently the version of the tire on the PP2 has more grip and less longevity vs GT350 OEM tire) the stability and tuning of the suspension on the GT350 put it two seconds ahead at Grattan. On the same tires it may be 2.5 seconds. AutoX will be a shorter track and the power difference may not matter, but the 350 should still be a fair bit quicker around the course.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
caranddriver had the PP2 vs GT350 and even thought the pp2 stopped quicker and had more lateral grip (apparently the version of the tire on the PP2 has more grip and less longevity vs GT350 OEM tire) the stability and tuning of the suspension on the GT350 put it two seconds ahead at Grattan. On the same tires it may be 2.5 seconds. AutoX will be a shorter track and the power difference may not matter, but the 350 should still be a fair bit quicker around the course.
With quicker stopping and turning the PP2 might be quicker on a small enough course. You never know. That's why I thought it would be interesting information. The GT PP2 with no coolers and super sticky tires is a natural for autocrossing.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Didn't seem that large compared to the autocrosses near me. But to me if you can't get into 5th gear the track is too small.
Not sure how familiar you are with autocross (I don't mean to sound like a dick) but they're typically 2nd gear max, rarely 3rd. Dixie is one of the better sites where they're going to have Champ Tour in about three weeks - there are longer courses than this on some of the sites but it's rare - this one was definitely above average for what you around the country. Our local site (after we lost Wilmington) is probably half the size of this.

Anyway - bottom line - I would absolutely not draw any conclusion about any of these cars' autocross performance from this video.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
With quicker stopping and turning the PP2 might be quicker on a small enough course. You never know. That's why I thought it would be interesting information. The GT PP2 with no coolers and super sticky tires is a natural for autocrossing.
As with any car on any track, stability and confidence matters. The article points out the skittish nature of the PP2 and how it wasn’t as stable in transitions or even on the brakes. I’d be willing to argue that an autox track requires these things more than a longer flowing track, especially with more turns and transitions. It would be interesting to watch. I’ve driven a PP2 on my normal curvy mountain roads and didn’t have near the same level of confidence in the PP2. It’s a great car, just not on the level or the 350.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not sure how familiar you are with autocross (I don't mean to sound like a dick) but they're typically 2nd gear max, rarely 3rd. Dixie is one of the better sites where they're going to have Champ Tour in about three weeks - there are longer courses than this on some of the sites but it's rare - this one was definitely above average for what you around the country. Our local site (after we lost Wilmington) is probably half the size of this.

Anyway - bottom line - I would absolutely not draw any conclusion about any of these cars' autocross performance from this video.
I'm really not familiar with autocross at all. I tried it a few times and didn't like sitting 5 hours for 5-10 minutes of driving. But the autocross course I was on wasn't smaller than the one in the video. My best time around it in the GT350 was 1:34, so it was significantly longer than the course in the video.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Only in a comparison with a GT500 would the adjective "sluggish" be appropriate for a GT350's acceleration out of a corner.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
If the driver was at the pointy end of FTD, then a 50 sec course might be pretty big. If not, then getting these big cars around a tight course is a challenge. Those Miatas routinely spank the more powerful muscle. Our WDCR SCCA courses held at FedEx are big but sometimes the courses are faster then others.

As for Strano, last year his regular ride was a Vette. But I'm sure he would take a whirl in a GT500 if asked.
Sponsored