Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Trunk Lid Paint Rub! (video)

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
@Goose17

Great video! I love seeing your videos and I would love to follow your footsteps and get a GT500 CFTP but with taxes it has a pricetag of around $370,000 here in Denmark it will probably never happen - I'll experience it through your enthusiasm and love for the car :like:

About the pull strap for your car take a look at this thread. I went with the Hyundai strap and a really snug pushpin from eBay - works like a charm and I love it so I don't have to touch the decklit panel. it is strong enough to just yank it down

I can see that you got the Steeda pop-kit recommended and I don't have experience with it, but have seen some people taling about it pushing the trunk lit out of alignment.
That made me do an other thing.
I bought a set of Compression die mould springs that fitted on the struts on the car. In that way when opening the trunk it pops up an inch or so. Just enough to get your fingers under it without touching paint on the decklit panel or on the bumper.

2021-01-12 12.18.16.jpg

I hope it helps you in your mod :like:
I got the strap from a friend who said it was from a Subaru and used a tight push pin as Ras did above in his post. The strap is a little long but it works, however I am thinking to change it to a shorter TRS pull strap like the one below. They are available in several colors too, not just black in case you want to go that route.

s-l640.jpg
@Goose17 - That problem defo isn't dedicated to the GT500's ... :frown:

I have been lucky on my GT, but a bullitt that viewed at the dealers at the same time had a similar mark to yours but on the left side. I have seen another bullitt since on a local car park and it had the identical mark on the left side again (perhaps ford switches the side that catches when they convert them to RHD ... lol)

In my opinion (and bear in mind I haven't needed to adjust one so its mostly guesswork), I think that adding a little height to the truck lid will give you an equal advantage to pulling it back a little like you had to in your video - coupled with your current position, maybe that will give you a bit more clearance without messing up the rearmost shut line ?

My trunk lid defo sits a bit higher than the bullitts I have seen with the problem, both of those lids were really tucked down (almost looked too low).

Maybe that helps you ?

On another note and to give you yet another option, here are my colour coded trunk pulls :

1-C3-A389-A-9-F03-4-D27-B2-B8-EB562-B311-F1-A.jpg

One on each side mounted in the push pin holes :

C78-FD67-D-F6-D3-4-AA9-B99-E-2-C9-F8768-A0-EF.jpg

M5 rivnuts are a perfect fit for those holes and I used a stainless penny washer on the back of the panel to spread the load :

11092-D51-3-EE2-40-B2-8780-A643-AC01-D415.jpg

WD :like:
If you are going to use the rivnut / penny washer, use a M5 x 25 penny washer and drill the hole out to 8mm to suit the rivnut perfectly (rather than using an M8 washer with a poor fit on the rivnut).

Bit tricky getting and holding the washer in place on the back of the rivnut whilst it's set, but a piece of string helps along with a partner with slim hands ... lol

There are a few more photos in my build thread if the above isn't clear :like:

Appreciate all the good info guys! I definitely need to do a strap. I’ve had quite a few comment on YouTube: why didn’t you PPF the whole car...? The place I used for PPF was the most expensive place I have found. They also do the best work with custom hand-cut work with zero edges shown. I had everything forward of the windshield done as well as the mirrors, A-pillars, roof and wing. The rest just got ceramic. Doing the whole car there would have been a large bill!

Also of note, any panel gaps that are tight, like the right corner of my trunk lid, will possibly have more problems when PPF is wrapped over that edge. My base car had a fender rubbing on the hood. The PPF shop had to loosen the fender and bias it outward to create enough gap to have the film wrap over the edge of both the hood and the fender.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
In this short video, I show a trunk lid fitment issue with my 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP resulting in paint getting removed. I show the problem and show the fix. This issue most likely affects all 2020+ GT500s: base and CFTP!

Informative. No rub on my R thankfully. Being Shadow Black, a white primer paint chip would stick out. I dunno if I was just lucky or what. But I had the opportunity to look at a couple new CFTP's and a base on the showroom floor the other day. I specifically went to the trunk spot in your video that shows rub. Sure enough, paint chipped on both of the CFTP's but not on the base. I looked at other Mustang models to see if this is a more widespread issue. I only saw the issue with the CFTP cars. Maybe from lifting the trunk lid from the left wing support as you pointed out.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
I'm happy to report no rub here. Paint is intact. I always use the center of the wing to gently open/close the decklid.

As for the delicate black finish plate, I had mine Xpel'd. Since it was done, I don't have to worry about light scratches.
I did the same thing and glad i did.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Called in the dealer today and spotted the same problem on a new unregistered car … :frown:

I haven’t seen that many new ones at the dealer (remember I am in the U.K.), maybe ten or so and this is the second forecourt car with this issue - that’s not a good ratio … :frown:

This car has no spoiler so nothing to stress the trunk lid or hinge, looking at the alignment it definitely sits low on that side :

1620425770508.jpeg

1620425799952.jpeg

1620426951596.jpeg

Shame really, as the rest of the panels on this car looked pretty good and it was in a completely different league compared to the black one parked nearby …

GT 500 760

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 ........Past Shelby’s 2019 GT350R, 2009 GT500 KR, 1970 GT500 ,1969 GT350 ,1966 GT350.
2021 base model both trunk left right gaps are identical and no paint rub problems.
Sponsored