Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
counting down the days...
not too much farther, really.
This year, NAIAS is gonna be a good one.
I hope to see a bronco there too!
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I have to disagree with this, I think the Z/28 was an incredible car. 500hp 7 liter N/A V8 in a car faster through corners than their ZL1? Yeah, it was definitely the best Camaro of the 5th Generation (And personally, one of my favorite Camaros, especially in the looks department). The only turn off of that car was the price, but had it been $10k cheaper, it would've been an incredible bargain.

But regardless, rumor has it, the next Z/28 (may still be a 6th gen) will be using the same engine as the ZR1, offer the same carbon-ceramic brakes as the ZR1, and will be overall more extreme than the ZL1 while being lighter. Won't know for sure until it comes though, I guess
With respect to the looks department I also consider a 2014 Z28 one of the best looking Camaro's in many years especially in my favorite color of Red Hot and of course if I ever bought one it would have to come with no AC.

When it comes to braking, handling and steering I guess that I was expecting more from a $76,000 car especially in the acceleration department whereby it was no faster than any of the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca's that I have owned and suggest much of that was to do with the Z28 being somewhat of a porker in the weight category along with a 427 CI engine that should have provided more power than just 505 HP.

Just to put some performance times in perspective for the Z28 compared to a couple other cars here are some official lap times from NĂĽrburgring to ponder.

ZL1 1LE - 7:16
Z28 - 7:37
Civic Type R - 7:43

Had Chevrolet developed and installed a much more robust NA engine in this last generation Z28 just as Ford did with the 2 year run of the Boss 302's or the recent FPC engines in the GT350 cars I would suggest that the Z28 could have been an incredible success based on such a tremendous chassis, suspension, wheel and tire set up.

Please don't get me wrong as I have a tremendous respect for the Z28 and remember it just like yesterday when I first saw (hard to recognize a '67 Z28 back in the day) a '67 Z28 and was in total awe of that car and still am today. In addition to the '67 Z28 I also have a great respect for the '70 Z28 that came outfitted with an outstanding LT1 Corvette engine and it was also a tremendous performer back in the day.

Over the last ~50 years I have immensely enjoyed the battles between the Z28 and the Boss 302 cars and really hope that Chevrolet knocks it out of the park when they launch their next generation Z28.

:beer:

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Again, people completely fail to understand the concept of well thought out OEM levels of integration. Taking all the pieces of the car and creating a complete SYSTEM.
Sorry, but other than a fully optioned GT350, I have yet to see a S550 that meets this description.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sorry, but other than a fully optioned GT350, I have yet to see a S550 that meets this description.
The regular GTs and ECOboost have better integration than GT350s in my opinion. Stands to reason Ford spends more time polishing a product when they are going to sell lots and lots of that product versus the special cars that only sell a few thousand per year.

But still a lot better integration than bolting some stuff onto your existing car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Z28 was not my favorite car by any stretch of the means but to say there's noting credible is obscene.
It was really fast, has the only GM engine I truly want, and certainly is a very cool vehicle, but throw Trofeo Rs on a GT350R and see what happens...those things are STICKY.

It wasn't worth $75k though, and the market agreed.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It wasn't worth $75k though, and the market agreed.
I absolutely agree. But to say it has nothing to offer, as was stated, is completely ignorant/fanboy. Those brakes are ridiculous, something that cannot be said about ANY Ford braking system until the GT350. The GT500 brakes since '08 were garbage. The LS7 is such a great engine and no overheating issues. Transmission is awesome too. It's a TR6060, what else is there to say? That said, there was a reason why GM ordered dealerships to let them go for mid 50k's and the Zeta platform was certainly limited.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
With respect to the looks department I also consider a 2014 Z28 one of the best looking Camaro's in many years especially in my favorite color of Red Hot and of course if I ever bought one it would have to come with no AC.

When it comes to braking, handling and steering I guess that I was expecting more from a $76,000 car especially in the acceleration department whereby it was no faster than any of the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca's that I have owned and suggest much of that was to do with the Z28 being somewhat of a porker in the weight category along with a 427 CI engine that should have provided more power than just 505 HP.

Just to put some performance times in perspective for the Z28 compared to a couple other cars here are some official lap times from NĂĽrburgring to ponder.

ZL1 1LE - 7:16
Z28 - 7:37
Civic Type R - 7:43

Had Chevrolet developed and installed a much more robust NA engine in this last generation Z28 just as Ford did with the 2 year run of the Boss 302's or the recent FPC engines in the GT350 cars I would suggest that the Z28 could have been an incredible success based on such a tremendous chassis, suspension, wheel and tire set up.

Please don't get me wrong as I have a tremendous respect for the Z28 and remember it just like yesterday when I first saw (hard to recognize a '67 Z28 back in the day) a '67 Z28 and was in total awe of that car and still am today. In addition to the '67 Z28 I also have a great respect for the '70 Z28 that came outfitted with an outstanding LT1 Corvette engine and it was also a tremendous performer back in the day.

Over the last ~50 years I have immensely enjoyed the battles between the Z28 and the Boss 302 cars and really hope that Chevrolet knocks it out of the park when they launch their next generation Z28.

:beer:
I agree with most of this. Really, I think the mood of the car would've been completely different if it would've been $15k cheaper. But, that's also why they're one of the best performance bargains you can get right now... used ones are coming into the high $20k-low $30k range. That's A LOT of performance for the price of a loaded Ecoboost Mustang.

But of note, as someone who has hours worth of 'Ring time under their belt, that track is hardly indicative of performance when comparing to other cars. There's so much room for error, so many different track dynamics within 1 lap, and most of the track is made for speed rather than handling prowess. I feel like my old 3v with maybe 100 more HP or so would've shaved at least 30 seconds off my lap time... not something you can say about MOST tracks (where horsepower increases lead to tenths of a second rather than full seconds). I'm always very wary of 'Ring times, I'd rather compare times at a track like VIR

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Motor Trend
December 2018
Interview with Hermann Salenbauch
Director, Ford Performance

Selected quotes:

“It will have more power than we ever had. We told you 700 plus, and it’s not 701 or 702; it’s plus and a bit more.”
From the lead article on this, doesn't sound like much more.
A bit more

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
From the lead article on this, doesn't sound like much more.
A bit more

Talked to a gentleman who has sold Shelby's, Mustangs for 20 + years. His take is the GT500 reveal will be at the Detroit Auto Show
in January. The buyers for the GT500 are already circling like sharks willing to pay huge ADM's, suggested I wait till the dust settles, which of course is obvious to all. He also mentioned that I should be able to purchase a 2019 GT350 of my choice at MSRP which is cool. I can wait for a reveal in January but much longer will be tough :yawn:

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
No one does take anything you say seriously, why would they.:crackup:
Thanks for proving my point, slick. Instead of actually listing out the reasons why a Z28 is a "75k joke", you post a nonsensical retort.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
So what are the current rumors for a GT500 reveal? I'm guessing NAIAS in January could be very plausble since they already had a showcar for the dealer-event and it would be on time for a MY2020 launch.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
So what are the current rumors for a GT500 reveal? I'm guessing NAIAS in January could be very plausble since they already had a showcar for the dealer-event and it would be on time for a MY2020 launch.

Talked to a gentleman who has sold Shelby's, Mustangs for 20 + years. His take is the GT500 reveal will be at the Detroit Auto Show
in January. The buyers for the GT500 are already circling like sharks willing to pay huge ADM's, suggested I wait till the dust settles, which of course is obvious to all. He also mentioned that I should be able to purchase a 2019 GT350 of my choice at MSRP which is cool. I can wait for a reveal in January but much longer will be tough :yawn:

Reactions: Ace

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
In case any of you guys missed it.
It has been confirmed by Ford that the GT500 will make its official debut at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show and will be revealed on the 14th of January, with a confirmed release date of Fall 2019.
Here's the thread with pics in case you are curious/missed it (also accessible via the main page on M6G)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...upercharged-5-2-liter-predator-engine.113606/

wilkie50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2105 GT base Auto 3.55 bone stock
Overheard a conversation in Detroit area a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like there will be a version with carbon fiber hood, fenders and wheels. Not sure if this is an R version or normal GT 500, but ain't going to be cheap if it's true.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.