Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
This is an OEM product that sees more beyond just the number. It's about integrating that power into the chassis as well as ensuring durability, emissions compliance, and capability thresholds that are realistic. Flat numbers aren't everything.
Shelby seems to have no issue doing it with KR packages that are 50 state certified. Believe the latest is 1000hp.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Shelby seems to have no issue doing it with KR packages that are 50 state certified. Believe the latest is 1000hp.
Sure. You go ahead and buy that. I'll wait here.

"The beginning MSRP for the package is $169,995.00, not including the Ford Mustang GT. For more information about the Shelby 1000, visit www.Shelby.com."

EDIT: And it is NOT emissions compliant, by the way.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I think what separates this GT500 than previous generations, is that all previous ones were more of straight line drag race car. This is for drag race and course race (like GT350), So we're getting a GT500 + GT350. And that's where Hellcat and ZL1 can not touch.

Just my personal observation from the FP Director.
Actually, that’s exactly what a ZL1 is..

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

"The beginning MSRP for the package is $169,995.00, not including the Ford Mustang GT. For more information about the Shelby 1000, visit www.Shelby.com."

If I were in that market then I would buy one. What exactly is your point?

Whatever on Emissions then..

All I am saying is, they (Ford) needs to deliver a bell ringer. Esp at the price they are gonna let their dealers ADA at.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

All I am saying is, they (Ford) needs to deliver a bell ringer. Esp at the price they are gonna let their dealers ADA at.
No, you said 850 - 900 horsepower or the car is basically not even worth attention which is utter nonsense. Here's my point: they have a specific budget they need to work with to ensure RELIABILITY, REGULATORY COMPLIANCE, and COMMON SENSE DURABILITY and at the same time a reasonable amount of affordability that is expected for a product of this type. Anything is possible with with unlimited money but OEM's are restricted. It's just a fact. Those power numbers are indeed common with a boosted 5.0. But none of those three extremely important points that OEM's must abide to are a sure fire guarantee by slapping an aftermarket boost system on a 5.0 and pulley'ing the snot out of it. With an OEM package, you blow out a catalytic converter? You're covered. You detonate a piston? You're covered. The OEM components are RATED for the types of horsepower figures that are coming out of their measurements. Whether a 5.0 survives or not, the fact is that it is NOT rated to hold 850 horsepower. Period. Some will live, others will die. Some S550 GT500's will live, others will die. Guess who's getting a warranty though?

And don't "whatever" on the emissions thing. It's a REGULATORY rule that they must 100% comply by for a minimum of 8 years or in other words "the life of the vehicle." Otherwise it's not eligible for registration. No compliance, no GT500. Are some supercharger kits CARB legal? Sure....until it spits your catalytic converters out the tailpipe. Because the components are NOT RATED FOR THAT TYPE OF ABUSE. Feel free to roll the dice, plenty of people do and that's perfectly fine. But there COULD be consequences involved both legally and mechanically. OEM's don't have the luxury of rolling the dice.

OEM's need to deliver a product that undeniably will work all the time, every time. That's what separates OEM from aftermarket. Aftermarket may be more impressive by numbers but OEM's understand integration, balance, and durability.

Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500

I'm with you. FORD needs to nuke the competition!!!850hp is a great start.most people that cry about high power numbers can't drive those type of cars anyway.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
No, you said 850 - 900 horsepower or the car is basically not even worth attention which is utter nonsense. Here's my point: they have a specific budget they need to work with to ensure RELIABILITY, REGULATORY COMPLIANCE, and COMMON SENSE DURABILITY and at the same time a reasonable amount of affordability that is expected for a product of this type. Anything is possible with with unlimited money but OEM's are restricted. It's just a fact. Those power numbers are indeed common with a boosted 5.0. But none of those three extremely important points that OEM's must abide to are a sure fire guarantee by slapping an aftermarket boost system on a 5.0 and pulley'ing the snot out of it. With an OEM package, you blow out a catalytic converter? You're covered. You detonate a piston? You're covered. The OEM components are RATED for the types of horsepower figures that are coming out of their measurements. Whether a 5.0 survives or not, the fact is that it is NOT rated to hold 850 horsepower. Period. Some will live, others will die. Some S550 GT500's will live, others will die. Guess who's getting a warranty though?

And don't "whatever" on the emissions thing. It's a REGULATORY rule that they must 100% comply by for a minimum of 8 years or in other words "the life of the vehicle." Otherwise it's not eligible for registration. No compliance, no GT500. Are some supercharger kits CARB legal? Sure....until it spits your catalytic converters out the tailpipe. Because the components are NOT RATED FOR THAT TYPE OF ABUSE. Feel free to roll the dice, plenty of people do and that's perfectly fine. But there COULD be consequences involved both legally and mechanically. OEM's don't have the luxury of rolling the dice.

OEM's need to deliver a product that undeniably will work all the time, every time. That's what separates OEM from aftermarket. Aftermarket may be more impressive by numbers but OEM's understand integration, balance, and durability.

Oh man.. thanks for the quality lesson on what is what in the automotive world. I'll whatever anything I want. It was at you for your all knowing snarky reply, not Ford as a company on emissions.

Born and raised in Detroit and have worked for Ford, GM Engineering, Roush, Eaton, Borg Warner and I could go on. So spare me the lecture on things you really should not be that angry about.

In my opinion, Ford needs to come big to match or beat their category competition. Most will agree.

Same team man, just different thoughts on whats important to each.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm with you. FORD needs to nuke the competition!!!850hp is a great start.most people that cry about high power numbers can't drive those type of cars anyway.
Ford does NEED to do anything except sell units. I'm all for getting as much power as you can muster. I feel like the GT350 is underpowered. By a lot. But I'm also realistic and understanding of what goes behind the scenes and why certain decisions are made they way the are. You can dream all you want but it's not happening. Fact is, regardless of power figure, Ford will sell every GT500 they build. And that's ultimately the bottom line goal. I wish engineers had more freedom but they don't. I wish the S550 had an aluminum unibody. I wish the GT350 had more carbon composite components such as the roof, the decklid, and the hood. I wish the GT350 had borrowed the F150 aluminum body panel technology for the doors. I wish the Voodoo engine had been given the induction system it deserves and the 600 horsepower figure it deserves and is probably begging for. I wish I wish I wish. Some of these things I feel like were also realistic but in the end they didn't happen. And in the end, I still love my car to death.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Ford does NEED to do anything except sell units. I'm all for getting as much power as you can muster. I feel like the GT350 is underpowered. By a lot. But I'm also realistic and understanding of what goes behind the scenes and why certain decisions are made they way the are. You can dream all you want but it's not happening. Fact is, regardless of power figure, Ford will sell every GT500 they build. And that's ultimately the bottom line goal. I wish engineers had more freedom but they don't. I wish the S550 had an aluminum unibody. I wish the GT350 had more carbon composite components such as the roof, the decklid, and the hood. I wish the GT350 had borrowed the F150 aluminum body panel technology for the doors. I wish the Voodoo engine had been given the induction system it deserves and the 600 horsepower figure it deserves and is probably begging for. I wish I wish I wish. Some of these things I feel like were also realistic but in the end they didn't happen. And in the end, I still love my car to death.

All the credit in the world to Ford and the GT350, Very balanced performance vehicle. No arguments there.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Point being is that what bothers me about said statement is that unless the car has more power than any of the other big 2 out of 3, it's not worthy of any attention. Which is complete and utter nonsense. Maybe forget some of the details for a minute and lets think power to weight which is always a universal comparison despite it not being as important as it used to be. If the 500 ends up at 4000lbs curb (which I think is realistic) and at the low end estimate of 770 horsepower, that HANDILY trumps both the ZL1 and the Hellcat Redeye and matches the Demon without having to switch over to race gas. And even so, such figures won't always get people's hearts going. The ZL1 may be the better car out of the Hellcat and itself but I'll take a Hellcat over the ZL1 because I think the ZL1 is a compromise a touch too far and the Hellcat knows exactly what it is. Put a ZL1 1LE in front of my nose though......

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I don't know about the 350 being underpowered *by a lot* I think 600 would be perfect. I still dont have a problem burning my tires off at current levels. it's fun being able to actually floor the car, while hearing those Rs pour on, without feeling like death is coming
I'll still take a gt500 at near 800 but that will be the ultimate tire roaster.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Point being is that what bothers me about said statement is that unless the car has more power than any of the other big 2 out of 3, it's not worthy of any attention. Which is complete and utter nonsense. Maybe forget some of the details for a minute and lets think power to weight which is always a universal comparison despite it not being as important as it used to be. If the 500 ends up at 4000lbs curb (which I think is realistic) and at the low end estimate of 770 horsepower, that HANDILY trumps both the ZL1 and the Hellcat Redeye and matches the Demon without having to switch over to race gas. And even so, such figures won't always get people's hearts going. The ZL1 may be the better car out of the Hellcat and itself but I'll take a Hellcat over the ZL1 because I think the ZL1 is a compromise a touch too far and the Hellcat knows exactly what it is. Put a ZL1 1LE in front of my nose though......

Fair enough

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

And its also an overpriced pos LOL

$50K in mods on a 35K car.... total cost in Shelby's eyes = $200K LMAO

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
If its not 850hp who cares:explode::curse::angry:
More like,.....if it doesn't run mid 10's in stock form, who cares.
:giggle:
(By mid 10's, I mean mid 10's on the drag strip in stock form. With DR's, of course. lol)

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
And its also an overpriced pos LOL

$50K in mods on a 35K car.... total cost in Shelby's eyes = $200K LMAO
Amazing, isn't it? Just the way all these bolt-on shops seem to work. You're definitely paying for the SA name.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.