Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
If 2 cars cost the same, how do they not compete for the enthusiast buyer’s buck “in the real world”? Car and Driver has compared the Mustang to the Corvette numerous times. And with the GT350, they felt it was a more engaging performance car to the C7 Z51. And the 350R, Boss LS, and Cobra R’s are all 2 seaters....based on your logic, who do they compete with?
Well the Bentley is a 400k+ car right? You're going to compared that to a Ferrari? Car and Driver were comparing the Mustang to a Stingray, a GT350 to the GS. Who and why would anyone compare the 5.0, shelbys to a Z06 or ZR1? Maybe they might do a straight line comparison with the GT500 to a Z06/ZR1 since they have blowers on.. Then again the Vette is built for the tracks, a two seat true sports car. The GT500 is Pony/muscle car therefore not competitors whatsover!!

GT500 will be matched with it's competitors which is the Hellcat/RedEye/Demon and Crapmaro ZL1!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When I was looking at GT350 I also looked at Corvette. Sporty cars, similar price - of course I compared them. I also looked at BMW M4/M2 and some used 911s and Caymans. Why wouldn't I? Yeah they don't all fit into the same exact category, but I think that just means the categories are too small. Many people who buy Mustangs and Camaros don't need back seats and aren't locked into a single type of car.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Well the Bentley is a 400k+ car right? You're going to compared that to a Ferrari? Car and Driver were comparing the Mustang to a Stingray, a GT350 to the GS. Who and why would anyone compare the 5.0, shelbys to a Z06 or ZR1? Maybe they might do a straight line comparison with the GT500 to a Z06/ZR1 since they have blowers on.. Then again the Vette is built for the tracks, a two seat true sports car. The GT500 is Pony/muscle car therefore not competitors whatsover!!

GT500 will be matched with it's competitors which is the Hellcat/RedEye/Demon and Crapmaro ZL1!
I'm glad you have the brain to see that.

Last edited:

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
When I was looking at GT350 I also looked at Corvette. Sporty cars, similar price - of course I compared them. I also looked at BMW M4/M2 and some used 911s and Caymans. Why wouldn't I? Yeah they don't all fit into the same exact category, but I think that just means the categories are too small. Many people who buy Mustangs and Camaros don't need back seats and aren't locked into a single type of car.
Totally agree. I did/do the exact same thing. It’s more about what all fits into a relative price range.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm really looking forward to the new ME Vette. It's probably going to be the best attainable American ME car ever made. The 500 is probably out of my price range but maybe a non-aspirated (:crackup:) base model would kill a GT350 and be attainable. It's a good time to be a car guy before electrification takes away a cars soul and packs on the pounds.

Sponsored

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
I'm really looking forward to the new ME Vette. It's probably going to be the best attainable American ME car ever made. The 500 is probably out of my price range but maybe a non-aspirated (:crackup:) base model would kill a GT350 and be attainable. It's a good time to be a car guy before electrification takes away a cars soul and packs on the pounds.

Rumors so far say the Base engine for the ME Corvette will be around 500HP.

If Chevy can use the current Vette engine and get 500HP from it, put it inside the ME Corvette and keep the price around $80,000.00 I Guarantee they will have a big Winner on their hands. :sunglasses:

I just don't see how they could do it for $80,000.00, which is the latest BS.

ME cars perform better at the track (Porsche) with less HP.

Considering a current Z06 loaded can go for a $100,000.00 and a ZR1 $150,000.00 I don't see how Chevy can do this.

I don't see a Base Engine ME Corvette beating any Shelby on the track.

If this ME Vette looks anything near these recent pics and at least 500HP this car will have a Huge ADM.

Naturally Aspirated engines are better anyways, lol.

One thing for sure, it's a great time to be a car fan.

ME Corvette, GT500, GT Mustangs running high 11's, 1LE Camaro etc...

These are most definitely the Golden Years of sports cars.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
This guy gets it and echos my posts. And judging by how many likes, more people than not also get it.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the GT500 and Vette will be cross-shopped if they're in the same price range. The whole "Bently vs Ferrari" thing is complete BS, as that's a luxury car vs a supercar. The GT500 and Vette are both performance-aimed V8 American cars in the same price range, so of course they're going to be cross-shopped.

Now, "if they're in the same price range" is the big kicker here. Some rumors have both the GT500 and mid engine vette in the $80-90k range. Personally, I think that's a load of BS. I don't see the base GT500 being much over $75k considering a loaded GT350R is about $68k. Additionally, I REALLY don't foresee the Vette being in the $80k range. Considering it's a mostly-aluminum (with some carbon fiber) construction mid-engine V8 sports car that will be produced and sold alongside the front engine Z06 (which it will probably be on par with in terms of performance alone), I really don't see it being cheaper than a Z06 (which can get will above the $100k mark when optioned out). Personally, I foresee the ME vette being closer to the ZR1 in terms of price, which would put it nowhere near the GT500

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
in Corvette forums, most of the guys will tell you that the base mid engine will come in, no more than 10k above base c7 price.
I'm not sure, but they seem to think so.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
in Corvette forums, most of the guys will tell you that the base mid engine will come in, no more than 10k above base c7 price.
I'm not sure, but they seem to think so.
I would 100% buy a mid engine 'vette for mid 60s or so, even if it has a somewhat bland V8 in the base model. I wouldn't buy the first year or two model, but I sure would have to get one.

edit: as long as a manual transmission is still available. No manual transmission - I will not buy - no matter how cheap and fast it is.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
I would 100% buy a mid engine 'vette for mid 60s or so, even if it has a somewhat bland V8 in the base model. I wouldn't buy the first year or two model, but I sure would have to get one.

edit: as long as a manual transmission is still available. No manual transmission - I will not buy - no matter how cheap and fast it is.
Agreed.

Look at GM's problematic 8 speed.. how many owners are having issues with the torque converter? I will say it'll take GM a good few years to nail down the DCT and get it to where it's reliable. 90% of the Vette owners don't track or drag race their cars so the DCT will def sell. Pretty sad since Vette's make excellent track cars (Except the Z06, have to really know what you're doing to drive it aggressively) but now there are no manuals?

GM's 7 speed Tremec TR6070 is very reliable and they should keep the manual option alive. Would love to have a Z06 but a bare bones one used is in the 60's.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Agreed.

Look at GM's problematic 8 speed.. how many owners are having issues with the torque converter? I will say it'll take GM a good few years to nail down the DCT and get it to where it's reliable. 90% of the Vette owners don't track or drag race their cars so the DCT will def sell. Pretty sad since Vette's make excellent track cars (Except the Z06, have to really know what you're doing to drive it aggressively) but now there are no manuals?

GM's 7 speed Tremec TR6070 is very reliable and they should keep the manual option alive. Would love to have a Z06 but a bare bones one used is in the 60's.
Where do you get the Z06 is hard to drive aggressively? It's different than my GT350, but not any harder to drive. They each have their challenges.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
its said that there will be no manual options on the mid engine, just dct by supplier.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Where do you get the Z06 is hard to drive aggressively? It's different than my GT350, but not any harder to drive. They each have their challenges.
At it's limits.. the power it makes will cause a lot of oversteer. Watch the videos from Randy.. he will say the car can get very loose and will require 100% attention.. In the hands of a pro driver, the Z06 is an awesome track car. Too much power at the wheels lol.. Badass car, I know if I can ever afford one I will NOT turn of traction control and drive aggressively without the tires getting warmed up.The Z06, ZR1 are torque monsters, I would def get over aggressive.

Regular drivers just going straight lol
Stepped on the gas, oversteer immediately hit the brakes and didn't countersteer

Just going straight

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.