Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Which will be slower than the GT500. The cool TT one will be well over $100k.
Even if the mid-engine 'vette base engine is a crappy little 450 hp non-breathing cam in block unit like they use in the current Corvette, the mid engine 'vette could be really great on the road course. Just the balance from having the mid-engine and the visibility with the small, low hood could make a huge difference in handling enjoyment. It should be interesting to see how light the mid engine 'vette ends up being.

And get real - any mid-engine V8 sports car is cool. If GM can make a mid-engine 'vette that I can afford it will be super difficult to resist buying one. Unless they do something dumb like no manual transmission option.

The GT500 may end up being more of a point and shoot, or run a few laps and then wait for the tires to cool kind of car.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Is this Karma or what? At the beginning during s197 era mustangs were giving hard time to camaro’s due to being lighter but with less hp, and for the new gen camaro lost weight gained power while mustangs gain weight and some power.

Challengers were always criticized due to their extreme weight. Good thing is though mustangs gained irs which ups the handling department. Now GT500 comes out with a Challenger weight. I guess we can’t give the excuse of not handling well due to weight anymore because we thought we have a ZL1/ZL1 1LE road coarse rival from Ford. Meanwhile Dodge already started testing their cars on road coarses with upgraded handling goodies. I am beyond lost of what Ford is doing right now.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
BlaqWhole on Camaro6 said:
So I just got a few text messages from some friends. It looks like the GT500 will have 720 HP and 650 TQ.
Dude, we know you visit this forum daily. Why are you pretending you don’t and received your information from “friends”? You’re like the guy on the radio commercials who’s looking into ED medication for his “friend”.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Sigh....

It's no wonder Ford isn't doing so hot lately. They can't seem to bring anything to market in a reasonable timeframe. This new GT500 being a prime example, this thing is going to be stale as month old bread on the countertop by the time it breaks cover. Give us SOMETHING already. The only thing remotely credible sounding to me in this "leak" is the bit on the driveshaft.

And don't get me started on the new Bronco, which should have been revealed or even on the market by now too. And the new Ranger, which is treading well into F150 price terriitory when reasonably equipped, isn't going to be an affordable small truck like the old one was (fail? maybe). Oh yeah, let's admit we can't compete in the car market and shitcan that lineup too.

Sorry, semi-related threadjack rant over.....
Most people have no idea what it takes to bring a vehicle to production. I certainly didn't before I started working for the company. Concepts, designs, schedules, and deadlines are planned out over a decade ahead of time. Thousands of people from design to launch/plant process work 12-14hrs a day to make it happen for years on end. The amount of time and effort that goes into it would be absolutely staggering to the general public. By the time the vehicle finally hits production, it's been many years in the making plus has to be a fresh, innovative, and appealing to the general population which for the most part aren't "car guys". On top of that... except for the body, engine, and transmission you're relying on vendors to make all your parts so you have to constantly make sure they're producing correct/quality stuff.

Give some respect to the people that make it happen.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
When you’re as late to the party as Ford is you need to beat the best your competition has to offer. Faster than a Redeye in a straight line and faster on the track than a ZL1 1LE or why bother?
What do you actually aspect?

A key thing is marketing is to not target your competitors flag pole.

Can Ford build a GT500 that is as light as a GT350 or GT350R? Yes.
Can Ford build a GT500 that is faster than a ZL1 1LE around a given track? Yes.
Can Ford build a GT500 that is faster than a ZL1 1LE around a track a Demon in a striaghtline? Yes.
Can Ford do all that on the current S550 platform? Yes.
Can Ford do that on in a 4 Year time frame? Maybe, lets be honest there are lots of Ford performance programs.
Will you like the price of a GT500 that is 3700 lbs and does all the above?. Nope and people will bitch up a storm about how its not a affordable, ADMs, ect.

If all the above is what you expect the GT500 to be, you will always be disappointed. Fortunately all that already exists and it cost 130K and its called a ZR1. 755hp 715ftlb 3600lbs. Faster than a ZL1 1LE, capable of beating the Demon at times, and many super cars.

From what I have heard about the GT500 is it is very fast, and worth waiting for. I suspect there are a host a reasons for it being delayed, but I suspect like the GT350, it will probably be the last of its kind and the want it to be the best it can be.

And once it comes out just like the "heavy GT350" people will fall in love with it marvel at its performance and be trying to find one at MSRP.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I suppose we’ll know if any of this is true.............. In another year or two.:frown:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Most people have no idea what it takes to bring a vehicle to production. I certainly didn't before I started working for the company. Concepts, designs, schedules, and deadlines are planned out over a decade ahead of time. Thousands of people from design to launch/plant process work 12-14hrs a day to make it happen for years on end. The amount of time and effort that goes into it would be absolutely staggering to the general public. By the time the vehicle finally hits production, it's been many years in the making plus has to be a fresh, innovative, and appealing to the general population which for the most part aren't "car guys". On top of that... except for the body, engine, and transmission you're relying on vendors to make all your parts so you have to constantly make sure they're producing correct/quality stuff.

Give some respect to the people that make it happen

Give some respect to the people that make it happen.
As an engineer/ manager i can tell you that its not enough. You know its Client and Customer Satisfaction comes first in this business. Unfortunately unlike any other engineering jobs, in this one, you don’t receive any Client Specifications as a go by. These forums and customer satisfaction surveys can be used as go bys. Now regarding a GT500. It will mostly be car guys buying this car not standard Clients. The product has to meet that certain expectation and deliver at least on par with the competition. Ford can lead the sales now but always have to look out for the future.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Even if the mid-engine 'vette base engine is a crappy little 450 hp non-breathing cam in block unit like they use in the current Corvette, the mid engine 'vette could be really great on the road course. Just the balance from having the mid-engine and the visibility with the small, low hood could make a huge difference in handling enjoyment. It should be interesting to see how light the mid engine 'vette ends up being.

And get real - any mid-engine V8 sports car is cool. If GM can make a mid-engine 'vette that I can afford it will be super difficult to resist buying one. Unless they do something dumb like no manual transmission option.

The GT500 may end up being more of a point and shoot, or run a few laps and then wait for the tires to cool kind of car.
Why spend 100k on a mid engine vette when you can get a track prepped Fierro for about 6k? LOL In all seriousness though, I would spend 100K+ on a GT3 not a vette. I dig the new vette concept as mid engine cars are cool and it will be a bass ass car no doubt. The GT500 is going to be fast. I know everyone is all up in arms about the weight, I get it. But it is a GT500!!! will it be a road course king? Maybe. Will it destroy tires on track? most definitely. The GTR is fst as all get out with only a 6 cylinder engine, albeit twin turbo, and it is a heavy mofo at about 4000lbs. The reality is the GT500 is not in the sport car category and neither is the ZL1. The Zl1 1LE although incredibly track capable it also is not what I would call a sports car. These are grand touring cars more like a GTR or DBS. Big, heavy, luxo performance vehicles capable of ripping at the track.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Agreed. I'm looking forward to it. GM does seem to have more trackable products (due to coolers) than Ford as a whole.

The press clips shows a big wing on the 500, so maybe the 500R will actually be able to turn if it has a lot of downforce. We will see.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
ALUSA, I agree but the GT500 is different than normal products as it's coming out solely for brand image. It's not like it's being made for profits. There's one plant making more than half of Ford's profit globally and it isn't Flat Rock. Last I checked, a GT350 rolls off the line about every 20-30 minutes and I'm sure the GT500 will be even less. We'll see if the money spent on bringing it about is recouped...

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know what a GT350 weighs..? (& GT350 R ..?)

I would think the GT500 will weigh almost the same as a GT350 does + whatever a Roush Supercharger kit weighs..?
422090-5-555x389.jpg

For the GT500's total weight, you will have to factor in all the additional weight reduction the GT500 will have over the GT350. Additionally, it dep[ends on what GT500 version... are you(we) are talking about (GT500/GT500 R/GT500 KR..?), because the more you pay, the more carbon fiber parts you get.

There isn't one GT500, but three.
My GT350R w/electronics and full tank came in at 3701 without driver. A track package GT350 on the same scales that day came in at 3760.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
ALUSA, I agree but the GT500 is different than normal products as it's coming out solely for brand image. It's not like it's being made for profits. There's one plant making more than half of Ford's profit globally and it isn't Flat Rock. Last I checked, a GT350 rolls off the line about every 20-30 minutes and I'm sure the GT500 will be even less. We'll see if the money spent on bringing it about is recouped...
Last time that I checked GT350/R's have not rolled off the assembly in Flat Rock for some ~3 months now with no immediate plans to start up GT350/R assembly anytime soon but production of EcoBoost, 5.0, Bullitt Mustangs and Lincoln Continentals have been keeping it going just fine.

Not sure where FR is in the pecking order of profitability compared to other plants but can assure you that Ford did just fine on the ~47,000 GT500's built from 2007 to 2014.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why spend 100k on a mid engine vette when you can get a track prepped Fierro for about 6k? LOL In all seriousness though, I would spend 100K+ on a GT3 not a vette. I dig the new vette concept as mid engine cars are cool and it will be a bass ass car no doubt. The GT500 is going to be fast. I know everyone is all up in arms about the weight, I get it. But it is a GT500!!! will it be a road course king? Maybe. Will it destroy tires on track? most definitely. The GTR is fst as all get out with only a 6 cylinder engine, albeit twin turbo, and it is a heavy mofo at about 4000lbs. The reality is the GT500 is not in the sport car category and neither is the ZL1. The Zl1 1LE although incredibly track capable it also is not what I would call a sports car. These are grand touring cars more like a GTR or DBS. Big, heavy, luxo performance vehicles capable of ripping at the track.
Well people here are saying $70k for the ME vette with the starter V8. There's a huge gulf for me between 70 and 100,000 when talking about a car. I will most likely never pay $100,000+ for a car, but I might spent 70 on the right one. Not sure where the Fiero thing came from, but whatever. I would love to have a GT3, but now you are talking $140,000+. That is complete dream land for me. I will never, ever buy a $140,000 car. If I could buy a new GT3 for $70k, your comments might make sense to me.

I don't even care that a GT3 isn't mid-engine. Rear is close enough, right? At least the engine is somewhere near the drive wheels. It's also not a V8. The flat 6 is ok, but I prefer a V8 by far. IMO Porsches just aren't performance bargain cars, and I want as much of a bargain as I can get.

I understand what you are saying about car categories, but the category I'm looking for is "fun car I can afford". For me quick is important, but mid-engine, V8, manual trans and about $70k potentially fits squarely into the "fun car I can afford" category for me. At least the potential is there. Corvettes are famous for having a crappy interior with the functional parts being top priority. I hope the mid-engine 'vette carries that tradition forward. More likely I can afford one. Maybe a lightly used version.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
We know that the car is not made for profit.... but DO YOU REALLY think Ford will offer a car with no profit at all? I mean, they decided to stop offering the Fusion in America just because the profits were not “Huge”. Maybe there is just a small profit with the GT500, but I’m 100% sure that if it wasn’t profitable, they wouldn’t do it.

I understand what you are saying about car categories, but the category I'm looking for is "fun car I can afford". For me quick is important, but mid-engine, V8, manual trans and about $70k potentially fits squarely into the "fun car I can afford" category for me. At least the potential is there. Corvettes are famous for having a crappy interior with the functional parts being top priority. I hope the mid-engine 'vette carries that tradition forward. More likely I can afford one. Maybe a lightly used version.
The manual transmission for the new ME Corvette is just a rumor so far... apparently it will be DCT only.

Status
Not open for further replies.