Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
all that shit you posted that you haven't seen has been posted here by @Epiphany
Gonna have to start a disinformation campaign. We'll probably start hearing about the hood and fenders soon too.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why not? As long as they're supplemental motors to a V8, not replacing a V8, I think it would be a win-win. Less stops at the pump and more torque at low rpms
Why would a heavier vehicle with more power stop at the pump less? Electric assist will definitely add weight. And if you are using the power I don't see the electric assist improving fuel economy at all. Maybe if the driver putts around town at the speed limit, going super easy on the throttle so that his large, gold chain doesn't tangle in his chest hair?

It should be interesting to see what happens, but I also don't see why a 700+ hp vehicle would need electric assist - especially at the rear wheels. The engine makes enough power to spin the rear tires at nearly any speed. So, now it will spin the tires faster? Is the electric motor being used to aid the traction control devices so the ECU can react more quickly to wheel spin? I've been told that the assist can't be at the front wheels, but that is where I would want to put it.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Why would a heavier vehicle with more power stop at the pump less? Electric assist will definitely add weight. And if you are using the power I don't see the electric assist improving fuel economy at all. Maybe if the driver putts around town at the speed limit, going super easy on the throttle so that his large, gold chain doesn't tangle in his chest hair?

It should be interesting to see what happens, but I also don't see why a 700+ hp vehicle would need electric assist - especially at the rear wheels. The engine makes enough power to spin the rear tires at nearly any speed. So, now it will spin the tires faster? Is the electric motor being used to aid the traction control devices so the ECU can react more quickly to wheel spin? I've been told that the assist can't be at the front wheels, but that is where I would want to put it.
I'm not a power train designer, but it would seem plausible/logical that an electric assist would in fact reduce the amount of power the engine had to put out, therefore using less fuel. And what makes you think the average GT500 owner wouldn't spend most of their time cruising around the speed limit? You're absolutely correct, that if the car is being driven 10/10ths or even about 6 tenths ALL THE TIME, it would use more fuel. But I get the feeling that is not the case.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It doesn't take less power to accelerate a vehicle when you make it heavier. I guess if there's some form of regenerative braking that could be used to charge the batteries and make a fuel economy improvement.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm not a power train designer, but it would seem plausible/logical that an electric assist would in fact reduce the amount of power the engine had to put out, therefore using less fuel. And what makes you think the average GT500 owner wouldn't spend most of their time cruising around the speed limit? You're absolutely correct, that if the car is being driven 10/10ths or even about 6 tenths ALL THE TIME, it would use more fuel. But I get the feeling that is not the case.
Well, even if you just nail the throttle from a stop (like I would do) and accelerate hard a few times here and there, you are hardly going to be sipping gas.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Needs 850 to beat Demon's 840...jus sayin'

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them

Electric motors make instant torque so there’d be quicker launches and better traction control. I feel like @Topnotch is joking but if it’s true venom will kill demons after all.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Electric motors make instant torque so there’d be quicker launches and better traction control. I feel like @Topnotch is joking but if it’s true venom will kill demons after all.
If that’s true, well.. ford might just blow everyone’s expectations away.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Instant torque to the rear wheels doesn’t make it any easier to put down specially combined with a SC engine. But I also think Topnotch is yanking chains here!

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Why would a heavier vehicle with more power stop at the pump less? Electric assist will definitely add weight. And if you are using the power I don't see the electric assist improving fuel economy at all.
Well, the Acura MDX is an interesting example (I was cross shopping them briefly before we bought the DD/RT ...)

upload_2019-1-10_10-59-33.png

.. and before we get into a thing with the difference in displacement, transmission, etc., yeah, I get it (back off man ... I'm a scientist ...), the SH-AWD is 290HP, the Sport Hybrid is 321HP and a good bit faster (and from the data above, much better MPG around town - that electric assist from light to light seems to have a major impact). The Hybrid is heavier by ~230lbs (assuming partially due to the electric motors), but the _net_ result is better MPG and a good bit quicker.

I guess the takeaway is: the extra weight (at least in terms of MPG and acceleration) might be easily offset to a net positive by the effectiveness of electric assist :)

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Die%202020%20GT500%20STB%20JPEG%20-%20Copy-X2.jpg

From Reddit?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, the Acura MDX is an interesting example (I was cross shopping them briefly before we bought the DD/RT ...)

upload_2019-1-10_10-59-33.png

.. and before we get into a thing with the difference in displacement, transmission, etc., yeah, I get it (back off man ... I'm a scientist ...), the SH-AWD is 290HP, the Sport Hybrid is 321HP and a good bit faster (and from the data above, much better MPG around town - that electric assist from light to light seems to have a major impact). The Hybrid is heavier by ~230lbs (assuming partially due to the electric motors), but the _net_ result is better MPG and a good bit quicker.

I guess the takeaway is: the extra weight (at least in terms of MPG and acceleration) might be easily offset to a net positive by the effectiveness of electric assist :)
Most hybrids get better fuel economy. I think you are suggesting that the GT500 might have the same features as a typical hybrid. You could be right.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Most hybrids get better fuel economy. I think you are suggesting that the GT500 might have the same features as a typical hybrid. You could be right.
It really depends on how the hybrid/electric is applied. In the case he showed above (and most cases) it should improve city mpg to a degree but he also mentioned improved acceleration. Which would definitely be true for an AWD car or in this case if the power is going to the front wheels, but I think you would see only a marginal (like a tenth) gain on acceleration if it were all going to the rear.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.