Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Excitement is at an all-time low for the car, It's about 2 years late to the show. All this wait just to have it get beaten by the next generation Camaro Z28. :facepalm:
I think Ford is working on the new GT500 now, and on another motor for the s650.Remember Ford did trademark the name ecobeast.i think that might come in the next generation mustang
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Excitement is at an all-time low for the car, It's about 2 years late to the show. All this wait just to have it get beaten by the next generation Camaro Z28. :facepalm:
Agreed that the wait for the GT500 has been lengthy and frustrating but suggest that the wait will be worth it.

Assuming that Chevrolet does come out with a new 7th generation Z28 I sure hope that they come up with a much better product than the 5th generation Z28 which provided us with a porker of a Pony car, underwhelming performance from a left over NA Corvette engine and a price tag that was absolutely ridiculous ~($76,000 with AC).

The bang for the buck for the limited edition 2014/2015 Z28's was horrible with the GM crowd confirming just how underwhelming this car was.

I appreciate and respect good competition and hopefully GM/Chevrolet will have their act together on their next generation Z28 Pony car.

:beer:

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
I think the 750-780hp range is fairly locked for the GT500. After all, we all know that Ford has to leave room on the table for the aftermarket. When I owned a GT500, I used to caravan to events with other local GT500 owners, sometimes 15 or more, and not a single guy had less than an extra 100-200hp in pulleys, tunes, or blower upgrades. If Ford is STARTING at 750ish, they know full well that most of the owners are going to add 100hp+ by ordering a pulley/tune/intake as soon as they drive the car home. think about how stout the entire drive train has to be for their enthusiasts. Just sayin'...

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I think the 750-780hp range is fairly locked for the GT500. After all, we all know that Ford has to leave room on the table for the aftermarket. When I owned a GT500, I used to caravan to events with other local GT500 owners, sometimes 15 or more, and not a single guy had less than an extra 100-200hp in pulleys, tunes, or blower upgrades. If Ford is STARTING at 750ish, they know full well that most of the owners are going to add 100hp+ by ordering a pulley/tune/intake as soon as they drive the car home. think about how stout the entire drive train has to be for their enthusiasts. Just sayin'...
If we look at the recent history for the most recent GT500's the horsepower rating started out at 500 HP for the 2007MY and elevated up to 662 HP over a period of 8 production years culminating with the 2013/2014 cars.

Personally it is hard for me to comprehend why Ford would jump from 662 HP in 2014 and then all the way up to 850 HP or 900 HP for the upcoming 2019/2020 GT500 regardless of what the Mopar or GM camps are doing.

I would have to agree with your suggestion of ~750 HP for this first go around after which time Ford will continue to develop and eventually increase the horsepower up to the 850 HP range but all in due course.

:wink:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I really have to smile when I see these posts that Ford is going to come up with 850 HP to 900 HP for the upcoming GT500 and anything below that is just unacceptable.

As you so correctly mentioned the new GT500 needs to have a balance between useable horsepower/torque and what the chassis, suspension, tires and transmission is set up to handle.

A great example of too much horsepower with a suspension and chassis that is not up to task is the 2019 Corvette ZR1 whereby it has 755 HP in a car with a curb weight of 3650# but it's chassis and suspension are no match for all the horsepower and torque of that engine let alone a transmission that is slow shifting which is unacceptable for a $130,000 automobile. I am not a big BMW fan but for pretty much the same price the M5 is a much more balanced automobile with performance figures of course a little less than the ZR1 but outstanding for a 4 door sedan.

No doubt that the GT500 will be very fast in a straight line/quarter mile sprint but this car will be intended to be much more than that and will end up being a very well balanced track car with terrific straight line acceleration and will definitely will not be in the 850 to 900 HP range.

:sunglasses:
I love Mustangs but would never pay the kind of money these higher end versions fetch (even if I could afford it). They're cool and somewhat exclusive, I guess. Anyway, it's always cool to see what Ford can do.

Shoot, for $130k I'd be looking at an AMG GT.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yep, it's not just about power, how does the rest of the car cope? Cooling? Fuel system? Driveline? Hell, even NVH and other considerations. Here's the bean counters: "Screw 900+ horsepower out of this car, marketing genius! Oh by the way, we're out of cheddah. Here's a few dollars more, send it all through a transmission made out of K'Nex and a driveline using untwisted paperclips."

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I love Mustangs but would never pay the kind of money these higher end versions fetch (even if I could afford it). They're cool and somewhat exclusive, I guess. Anyway, it's always cool to see what Ford can do.

Shoot, for $130k I'd be looking at an AMG GT.
I agree with you that watching what Ford can and has done with their Pony car over the last ~55 years has been exciting and would suggest that these FPC GT350's and in particular the R model are still one of the best performance values on the market today.

ADM's are a pain in our side especially for the R models but for those of you who were able to secure one of these outstanding automobiles at MSRP or close to that they certainly are a tremendous performance bargain and nowhere near the $130,000 that you referred to unless you were comparing the ZR1 with an AMG GT which then of course makes sense.

:clap:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
None of this does anything to fix that god-awful ugly front end. Ford has given me zero reason to buy this over an aftermarket supercharged 2018 GT with supporting suspension, wheels, and tires.
Ah, um, OEM finished product. I have more optimism. Wait to see what it is before passing judgement (just like the rest of us).

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ah, um, OEM finished product. I have more optimism. Wait to see what it is before passing judgement (just like the rest of us).
Again, people completely fail to understand the concept of well thought out OEM levels of integration. Taking all the pieces of the car and creating a complete SYSTEM.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming that Chevrolet does come out with a new 7th generation Z28 I sure hope that they come up with a much better product than the 5th generation Z28 which provided us with a porker of a Pony car, underwhelming performance from a left over NA Corvette engine and a price tag that was absolutely ridiculous ~($76,000 with AC).

The bang for the buck for the limited edition 2014/2015 Z28's was horrible with the GM crowd confirming just how underwhelming this car was.

I appreciate and respect good competition and hopefully GM/Chevrolet will have their act together on their next generation Z28 Pony car.

:beer:
I have to disagree with this, I think the Z/28 was an incredible car. 500hp 7 liter N/A V8 in a car faster through corners than their ZL1? Yeah, it was definitely the best Camaro of the 5th Generation (And personally, one of my favorite Camaros, especially in the looks department). The only turn off of that car was the price, but had it been $10k cheaper, it would've been an incredible bargain.

But regardless, rumor has it, the next Z/28 (may still be a 6th gen) will be using the same engine as the ZR1, offer the same carbon-ceramic brakes as the ZR1, and will be overall more extreme than the ZL1 while being lighter. Won't know for sure until it comes though, I guess

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Again, people completely fail to understand the concept of well thought out OEM levels of integration. Taking all the pieces of the car and creating a complete SYSTEM.
Or, you could just simply take a whipple and slap it on a GT...…. Hmm, I wonder why Ford didn't think of that?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I have to disagree with this, I think the Z/28 was an incredible car. 500hp 7 liter N/A V8 in a car faster through corners than their ZL1? Yeah, it was definitely the best Camaro of the 5th Generation (And personally, one of my favorite Camaros, especially in the looks department). The only turn off of that car was the price, but had it been $10k cheaper, it would've been an incredible bargain.

But regardless, rumor has it, the next Z/28 (may still be a 6th gen) will be using the same engine as the ZR1, offer the same carbon-ceramic brakes as the ZR1, and will be overall more extreme than the ZL1 while being lighter. Won't know for sure until it comes though, I guess
Disagree with Harry at your own risk. Actually maybe not a bad idea.... That's how I got to know him better.
Incompetence. :lipssealed:
You know I was making fun of the "just slap a whipple on it" crowd, right?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You know I was making fun of the "just slap a whipple on it" crowd, right?
Ha, yes. Hence my "shut up" because "we're wrong." :like:

EDIT: I was being sarcastic saying Ford is incompetent. Not us ha. But yes, Ford is completely incapable of thorough engineering. Just take a look at the MT82. :giggle:

Oh man, the can of worms I can open up lol.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.