Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP paint issues! (big wet sanding and polishing project video)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well CRAP! Hopefully it all gets shaken out rather quickly and you can hit the best driving season sooner vs. later.

I have still not driven my CFTP more than a couple hundred feet. I was told to expect it ready later Wednesday. Then comes the 100 mile break in (currently at 10.5 miles)... then comes LET IT RIP!:rockon:
I'll be glad to give you my impressions. If you want to hear it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
I'll be glad to give you my impressions. If you want to hear it.
Heck yes! I’d love to hear your impressions. The only time I’ve driven a CFTP was on the track at the Vegas event.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Thank you sir! My 00R has always been my favorite Mustang... it’s just a different, raw experience. Now with a 2020 GT500, I have TWO favorites!
I had a 2019 GT black with showstopper I loved it but the paint was horrible after me showing up to Ford to see what they was doing about it I lost my mind lol tearing it apart to paint it
Ford bought it back
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3261.jpg
IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3259.jpg

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I had a 2019 GT black with showstopper I loved it but the paint was horrible after me showing up to Ford to see what they was doing about it I lost my mind lol tearing it apart to paint it
Ford bought it back
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3261.jpg
IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3259.jpg
Yikes! Sorry about that.

It would be nice to get good paint when ordering a new car.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Handing it over to another shop... for PPF?

I got them a handful of years ago. I bought 30 Lights Of America 4500 lumens 4’ LED shop lights. Sams Club has them in a 2 pack. They are fantastic!

This might be them, or an updated version of them:

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/project/8140se2-wh5/
Thanks Tim, for the link, I will call LoA tomorrow and see if they can tell me who handles them. I need to get 16.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Heck yes! I’d love to hear your impressions. The only time I’ve driven a CFTP was on the track at the Vegas event.
I failed to recall that you had a base already. You would know more than me. I only have about 150 miles on mine now.

That said, the car feels heavy. In any other mode than track, the car seems to want to hang way low in the RPMs and accelleration isn't what I expected...... seems lethargic. If I want to get up and go, I have to hit the paddle twice to drop a few gears and that in conjunction with demand, gets the car moving.

The DCT is amazing, but again, the car feels heavy.

I say this based on the Rs I have on and off the track.

That said, I'm glad i have it. I will lighten the car some and reduce some of that dead weight. The problem is that you can only drop so much weight without going completely nuts with it. Ill have a better feel this upcoming track season.

Bottom line, I am very disappointed with the overall fit and finish, but once all the corrections are complete, the performance part of the equation will be further evaluated on the track.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I failed to recall that you had a base already. You would know more than me. I only have about 150 miles on mine now.

That said, the car feels heavy. In any other mode than track, the car seems to want to hang way low in the RPMs and accelleration isn't what I expected...... seems lethargic. If I want to get up and go, I have to hit the paddle twice to drop a few gears and that in conjunction with demand, gets the car moving.

The DCT is amazing, but again, the car feels heavy.

I say this based on the Rs I have on and off the track.

That said, I'm glad i have it. I will lighten the car some and reduce some of that dead weight. The problem is that you can only drop so much weight without going completely nuts with it. Ill have a better feel this upcoming track season.

Bottom line, I am very disappointed with the overall fit and finish, but once all the corrections are complete, the performance part of the equation will be further evaluated on the track.
Thanks for the thoughts Tomster.

Yes, I had a base for awhile. As for the tranny feeling lethargic, I mostly ran around town in Track Mode or My Mode. Like you said, Track Mode changes the behavior of the car. I would assume the other modes have more fuel efficiency in their logic, which is out the window in track mode. Also, the feature of pulling and holding the left paddle to downshift to the lowest selectable gear works in all modes other than Track Mode.

I look forward to getting my CFTP out on the streets for some seat time.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I look forward to getting my CFTP out on the streets for some seat time.
I am very much interested in your thoughts on how it rides, vs the base car you drove for six months. I was told by a couple people the the snack pack drives terribly, even in comfort mode. Since my car will be getting what I believe to be the same , or very close to it, suspension as the CFTP, I am eager to hear your experience.

When you do get out and about, and if you wouldn't mind, could you compare comfort and sport suspension mode to your memory of your base car, keeping in mind the tires themselves are different? I would appreciate it.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I am very much interested in your thoughts on how it rides, vs the base car you drove for six months. I was told by a couple people the the snack pack drives terribly, even in comfort mode. Since my car will be getting what I believe to be the same , or very close to it, suspension as the CFTP, I am eager to hear your experience.

When you do get out and about, and if you wouldn't mind, could you compare comfort and sport suspension mode to your memory of your base car, keeping in mind the tires themselves are different? I would appreciate it.
Will do!

Keep in mind I mostly drove my base model in Track Mode, which firms-up the magneride. I like a firmer ride, other than longer distance cruising.

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Anyone knows a ppf installer here in miami? I need someone really serious and professional, there is a lot of people doing that work and messing up the cars.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Anyone knows a ppf installer here in miami? I need someone really serious and professional, there is a lot of people doing that work and messing up the cars.
I didn’t have any experience or recommendations for PPF shops in the DFW area. I got on Google Maps and did a search. I called each place and was turned off by most after just chatting with them. You can also go visit the shops and see their work first hand.

Keep in mind pattern cut work is cheaper than hand cut work, but you get what you pay for. All my edges are tucked. My shop did a great job. I’ll post a video of it all when I get a chance to edit it all together.

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
how much can cost a ppf hand cut work in a GT350R? Is it safe (hand worker could cut the paint)? And is it necessary to remove gt350 badges, plastics or so?

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
how much can cost a ppf hand cut work in a GT350R? Is it safe (hand worker could cut the paint)? And is it necessary to remove gt350 badges, plastics or so?
Cost varies widely depending on shop and if they do pattern cut or hand cut. It also depends on how much of the car you get covered. Call around for quotes. I'll have a video up before too long that shows my car going through the whole process.

As for the badges, my shop removed the badges, applied the film and then reapplied the badges.
Sponsored