Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP Ozarks International Raceway Chin Track Day 1! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
Ride along in my 760 hp 2020 Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack at the most technical, most challenging track in N. America! This 4 mile track is not for the faint of heart... one new GT500 hit a wall on this day. OIR is loaded with blind hills/turns, has many off camber corners and is surrounded by walls and barriers. In this 4K video, I capture the action on multiple cameras including a GoPro 360 Max as well as a chase camera on my buddy's GT500. I ran Hoosier R7 tires, but they weren't without issues... once again I had BAD vibration. I even rotated the wheels/tires side-to-side mid-day with no relief. I also had a couple exhaust error messages pop up on track. Despite the challenges, I hit a best lap time of 2:46, second only to a purpose built non-VIN track Mustang weighing exactly 1000 pounds less than my Shelby BEAST!

Sponsored

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Great stuff. Thanks

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Nicks purpose built 350’s are so awesome, i meet him at autobahn, super nice.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Nicks purpose built 350’s are so awesome, i meet him at autobahn, super nice.
He’s a cool dude with some cool toys! His “350” is a body in white (non vin) Mustang shell that he built into a race car. He put a 5.2 cross plane motor in it from what I recall chatting with him. It is basically just a shell with a motor and clocks in at 3100 lbs!

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
He’s a cool dude with some cool toys! His “350” is a body in white (non vin) Mustang shell that he built into a race car. He put a 5.2 cross plane motor in it from what I recall chatting with him. It is basically just a shell with a motor and clocks in at 3100 lbs!
yup, hes on trackmustangsonline and showed all of us. This is his second one, he has a detailed build of his first one he races in tt2. I want to copy his exhaust set on mine

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You guys talking about Nick? Great guy. I am his neighbor at Daytona in the blue garages every year.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
You guys talking about Nick? Great guy. I am his neighbor at Daytona in the blue garages every year.
Yes, great guy. He and his car are FAST!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, great guy. He and his car are FAST!
It's a purpose built race car. I remember when it was closer to a standard R. It was a Red R that replaced his black one.. IIRC, that black R of his was a '15. Ouch. He has since gutted the red R, wrapped it, and turned it into what it is today.

What I like about him and anyone else in the garage we all share (pretty much all mustangs) we all help each other through the weekend. I recall Nick stepping up last year and helping the guy out in the garage next to me. I loaned my laptop out and my Bluetooth OBD reader and he diagnosed the guys car. That's Nick and just about the way everyone rolls in our garage.

We all run in group 1. And yes, he's fast like most everyone in our group. Last year Dean Martin's crew was out practicing for the Rolex 24. One of the guys running in Dean's crew was Billy Johnson. You want to talk about fast? I recall seeing them on my ass out of turn 3. I let up and let them go by. I didn't want to be the guy holding them up.

A long time ago, Billy came out to Daytona to help/coach and setup a FP350S. He looked bored, so I offered up my car for him to use. Instead, we went out together, he drove. It was amazing watching a master practice his craft. I giggled like a school kid the whole time. I recall we got black flagged, I guess the guys in the tower thought I was driving. Anyway, we keep doing lap after lap and the black flag guys were starting to get pissed off. It was funny. We finally pulled in and the guy at the black flag station started to ask a bunch of loaded questions. Billy was professional and humored the guy until he had about enough. He asked "is that John up in the tower"? The guy said yes. Billy reached out to grab his walkie talkie and said "give me that". He grabbed it, keyed the mic, and said "John, this is Billy Johnson". He abruptly handed the radio back to the guy. Then the loud squelch carrier came up with a brief silence followed by "let him go". The workers had us boxed in with cones. The guy with the radio directed to get the cones out of our way. Billy asked do you want to go back out again? I said "hell yea"!

Anyway, to bring it full circle, Nick asked me what kind of times was Billy running? I said just a bit over 2 minutes. Nick just shook his head and said damn that guy is fast.

Last edited:

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Love watching these videos Tim. Got a bad case of the Fall Flu and so chilling with some soup and watching you run laps is quite relaxing! Keep 'em coming. Also, thanks to you my BlackVue install was no sweat LOL

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
It's a purpose built race car. I remember when it was closer to a standard R. It was a Red R that replaced his black one.. IIRC, that black R of his was a '15. Ouch. He has since gutted the red R, wrapped it, and turned it into what it is today.

What I like about him and anyone else in the garage we all share (pretty much all mustangs) we all help each other through the weekend. I recall Nick stepping up last year and helping the guy out in the garage next to me. I loaned my laptop out and my Bluetooth OBD reader and he diagnosed the guys car. That's Nick and just about the way everyone rolls in our garage.

We all run in group 1. And yes, he's fast like most everyone in our group. Last year Dean Martin's crew was out practicing for the Rolex 24. One of the guys running in Dean's crew was Billy Johnson. You want to talk about fast? I recall seeing them on my ass out of turn 3. I let up and let them go by. I didn't want to be the guy holding them up.

A long time ago, Billy came out to Daytona to help/coach and setup a FP350S. He looked bored, so I offered up my car for him to use. Instead, we went out together, he drove. It was amazing watching a master practice his craft. I giggled like a school kid the whole time. I recall we got black flagged, I guess the guys in the tower thought I was driving. Anyway, we keep doing lap after lap and the black flag guys were starting to get pissed off. It was funny. We finally pulled in and the guy at the black flag station started to ask a bunch of loaded questions. Billy was professional and humored the guy until he had about enough. He asked "is that John up in the tower"? The guy said yes. Billy reached out to grab his walkie talkie and said "give me that". He grabbed it, keyed the mic, and said "John, this is Billy Johnson". He abruptly handed the radio back to the guy. Then the loud squelch carrier came up with a brief silence followed by "let him go". The workers had us boxed in with cones. The guy with the radio directed to get the cones out of our way. Billy asked do you want to go back out again? I said "hell yea"!

Anyway, to bring it full circle, Nick asked me what kind of times was Billy running? I said just a bit over 2 minutes. Nick just shook his head and said damn that guy is fast.
nick had a really nasty accident at road america on turn 3 with the 15 r, then ordered a body in white from ford and built the grey one From scavenged parts.

he still has the black boss race car.
his new white one is amazing too.

he retired from (i cant tell where from publicly) but has connections with watson/roush/ford and access to everyone. He was one of the first to get a gt500 cftp and turned it into a racecar then sold it because he likes the gt350’s better

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Ride along in my 760 hp 2020 Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack at the most technical, most challenging track in N. America! This 4 mile track is not for the faint of heart... one new GT500 hit a wall on this day. OIR is loaded with blind hills/turns, has many off camber corners and is surrounded by walls and barriers. In this 4K video, I capture the action on multiple cameras including a GoPro 360 Max as well as a chase camera on my buddy's GT500. I ran Hoosier R7 tires, but they weren't without issues... once again I had BAD vibration. I even rotated the wheels/tires side-to-side mid-day with no relief. I also had a couple exhaust error messages pop up on track. Despite the challenges, I hit a best lap time of 2:46, second only to a purpose built non-VIN track Mustang weighing exactly 1000 pounds less than my Shelby BEAST!

Goose, do you trailer your car yourself to Ozarks and Cota and wherever else you track it? Or do you have it shipped or maybe leave it there for a season? The logistics must be a challenge. Only 2 tracks I've ever been to, I drove the car there, and hoped to be able to drive it back.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Love watching these videos Tim. Got a bad case of the Fall Flu and so chilling with some soup and watching you run laps is quite relaxing! Keep 'em coming. Also, thanks to you my BlackVue install was no sweat LOL
Thanks Michael! Sorry about the flu!
nick had a really nasty accident at road america on turn 3 with the 15 r, then ordered a body in white from ford and built the grey one From scavenged parts.

he retired from (i cant tell where from publicly) but has connections with watson/roush/ford and access to everyone. He was one of the first to get a gt500 cftp and turned it into a racecar then sold it because he likes the gt350’s better
Nick is a retired Ford exec. He bought the CFTP to tour Europe with his son before he went off to college… he wanted a bad ass track car that they could hit tracks across Europe while on their tour. COVID hit and Europe shut down killing those plans. That is why he sold the car.
Goose, do you trailer your car yourself to Ozarks and Cota and wherever else you track it? Or do you have it shipped or maybe leave it there for a season? The logistics must be a challenge. Only 2 tracks I've ever been to, I drove the car there, and hoped to be able to drive it back.
I have a 20’ enclosed trailer that I use to get the car to/from tracks. I take a lot of extra crap including a second set of CF wheels with tires. Glad I did as I needed them for day 2.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

We all know who he is. A simple google will reveal that. If the car he is running now is a body in white, that is news to me. He had a red R that I thought he turned into what it is today.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
That is why he sold the car.
Thats not the story I heard. But either way, Nick is a great guy to be around on the track.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)