Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP damaged carbon fiber wheel + repair process! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
In this video, I show damage on one of my 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP front carbon fiber wheels. I talk about how it happened and then walk though where to send damaged wheels for repair as well as their repair process.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That's an easy fix to do yourself. A shame you sent that off to Frank.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Good video
Thank you sir! 🍻
That's an easy fix to do yourself. A shame you sent that off to Frank.
My experience at repairing carbon fiber… ZERO!

My planned usage of this wheel…. the track!

My confidence in tracking a wheel that I repaired…. .0001%.

Happy that a professional did his thing on the wheel…. Yuppers!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My experience at repairing carbon fiber… ZERO!

My planned usage of this wheel…. the track!

My confidence in tracking a wheel that I repaired…. .0001%.

Happy that a professional did his thing on the wheel…. Yuppers!
Thats great, but it ain't rocket science. I just took 3 of the ebay special repair wheels (that I repaired) and took them out at Daytona and hit the speed limiter once again, time after time. No issues. When I find that fourth wheel maybe ill do a "how to" pertaining to CF wheel repair.

Its hard to F up a CF wheel repair, even a pilot can do it, lol. But now that you mention it, most pilots think they can do anything. At least you recognize your limitations.

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Personally I'd be going after Discount Tire for the full cost of the repair, the seller should not have had to pay for Discount tire's screw up, but thats my opinion. Cause I had an issue from last year which I am getting all my documents together and going after the original installer.

At least it was saveable.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Personally I'd be going after Discount Tire for the full cost of the repair, the seller should not have had to pay for Discount tire's screw up, but thats my opinion. Cause I had an issue from last year which I am getting all my documents together and going after the original installer.

At least it was saveable.
I agree with that. As a buyer under those circumstances, i wouldn't have gone after the seller at all. But thats just pilots.

It reminds me of a joke.....

A guy opens up a new barber shop in town and in walks a baker. He gets his hair cut and says "really nice cut, how much do I owe you?" The barber says "nothing, tell all your friends". The next day, in appreciation, the baker brings a basket of baked goods with thanks.

Then in walks a butcher. He gets his haircut and says "wow, really good haircut, how much do I owe you?" The barber says "nothing, tell all your friends". The next day, in appreciation, the butcher brings a plate of fine cold cuts with thanks

The next day in walks a pilot. Same deal, gets his haircut and then asks the barber "how much do I owe you?" The barber again says "nothing tell all your friends"

So what do you think shows up the next day??

20 pilots.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
I didn’t watch the entire video but again a great detailed explanation.

why is the high temp coating covering so much of the inner wheel? Mine don’t on either the 350 or 500.

my bad. Just looked at mine again. They are coated like yours just WAY dirty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I didn’t watch the entire video but again a great detailed explanation.

why is the high temp coating covering so much of the inner wheel? Mine don’t on either the 350 or 500.

my bad. Just looked at mine again. They are coated like yours just WAY dirty.
The front brakes on the new 500 are absolutely MASSIVE! There isn’t much clearance between the calipers, which can literally get smoking hot at the track, and the inner wheel barrel. This is what necessitated the heat shield. I have my wheels coated in quartz, including the heat shielding, which keeps them from getting dark grey.

D6F00F85-DE42-4CDC-ADCD-88092F262C96.jpeg

F889BC6B-9898-41A0-B261-0889569FCC93.jpg

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Yeah goose your inner barrel looks really good on those wheels. I have been debating picking up a steam cleaner to steam clean my inner liners once or twice a year. I’ve seen some videos on the Internet where it has been very successful at removing goop. I would presume if the inner barrel liner can withstand super high temperatures of the brakes on track it could withstand an occasional steam cleaner.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I dont know if it would be ok or not to use a steam cleaner. Why doesn't someone call carbon revolutions and ask if a steam cleaner is ok? I've asked the question about solvents/cleaners and was told only soap or a mild detergent.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know about steam cleaning either. I ceramic coated all 3 sets of my wheels when they were new. That’s what I’d recommend. If you didn’t do that, proceed with caution so you don’t ruin expensive wheels.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
No expert here, but I can't see steam cleaning hurting the coating. These things see way higher temperatures at the track than some steamed water will produce.

That said, hot rotors and a puddle might produce hotter steam than a steam cleaner. Again, I am no expert, just spit balling.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
No expert here, but I can't see steam cleaning hurting the coating. These things see way higher temperatures at the track than some steamed water will produce.

That said, hot rotors and a puddle might produce hotter steam than a steam cleaner. Again, I am no expert, just spit balling.
Valid points!
Sponsored