2020 Shelby GT500 Bummer news

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Place yourself in the OP's shoes OR any M6G Shelby owner who has had to go through the BS of an engine failure - then post the same "oh well, it's just another product".

It's not about "what product doesn't have defects" - we're not talking about a $25 counter top can opener... or a $100 tool.

Sure the replacement engine is being done under warranty and the car will be like new again, no sweat.

Any S550 Shelby Owner who has an engine replaced will experience a hit to their value when trying to resell the car - because it no longer has a numbers matched drivetrain. The facts to that have been posted on here many times. Even M6G members who have gone through such an ordeal have posted themselves how Dealers wouldn't give them fair trade in value OR how difficult it was to try and sell the car to a private party.

But, oh it's just another product - suck it up....

LMAO...
Welcome to the lottery of life brother, it will be fine, it’s not a case of brain cancer !!!!!!
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The Shelby had 1500 miles. Not even broke in yet.
Seems like most of these major failures are very early on. Since yours had water entering cylinder #1 this is likely a very unique failure, probably the first of its kind. I wonder if the cylinder head or the block has a hairline crack through to the water jacket.

Either way it sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but as someone else mentioned, it should be faster to get the motor replaced than do a buyback. Try not to let this experience completely sour the fun the car provides you once its running again.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Seems like most of these major failures are very early on. Since yours had water entering cylinder #1 this is likely a very unique failure, probably the first of its kind. I wonder if the cylinder head or the block has a hairline crack through to the water jacket.

Either way it sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but as someone else mentioned, it should be faster to get the motor replaced than do a buyback. Try not to let this experience completely sour the fun the car provides you once its running again.
So sorry this happened to you but like someone else said Ford will take of it and then you will be able to enjoy your beautiful car again. In my lifetime I will probably never get to even once drive a GT500. Be grateful that even though this happened you will get to drive your car again. Good luck.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Holy crap -I’m supposed to pick up a brand new 2020 GT500 next week . Failed wiring harnesses and failed engines-am my missing something else ?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Holy crap -I’m supposed to pick up a brand new 2020 GT500 next week . Failed wiring harnesses and failed engines-am my missing something else ?
Assembly quality issues you'd find on a 25K base Ecoboost lol. You'll be okay though.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It sucks when it happens but if you think about it Ford is getting 700 + HP out of a 300 inch engine and guaranteeing it for 60,000 miles. Not too long ago wringing 700 out of a 302 would not last more than a weekend.

Hope it gets fixed fast so you can enjoy your car

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
And yet another engine replacement... if it’s not a GT350, GT350R, then it’s a GT500.

Hate to hear of it, hate to read about it and most definitely very frustrating for anyone dropping in excess of $60k, $75k, $100k+ for their “dream Shelby”, only to experience a catastrophic failure that is resulting in significant downtime and now a non-numbers matched drivetrain.

Be sure you are compensated. Search on here regarding the engine failures as well as dealing with Ford CSR’s, Lemon Laws and the Ford RAV Buy Back process (IF you intend to pursue that route of resolution). .

It’s really BS that these type of failures are still continuing to be an ongoing issue. If there’s a small percentage of failures being posted to this site, you know there’s more happening in the wild from those who are not internet savvy, who don’t go online or join forums.

Best of luck with the repairs.
Regardless of how much you spend on a car, they’re made by man and will fail. It’s inevitable. Obviously one would hope that it happens a lot further down the road but at least theres a warranty. Would it be better if it happened at 60001 miles and folks had to pay out of pocket?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar problem with my brand new Boss 302. Threw the rod right through the engine block and on the track no less.

Dealer said warranty wouldn't cover it. I asked them to submit regardless. Sure enough within 36 hours a new crate engine was delivered. Took a couple days to install and get right. Knock on wood, no issues since.

Be patient and be kind and you will get taken care of. Ford doesn't want bad media around their flagship product. I know it is frustrating and missing an event sucks for sure but it is just one event and there will be more.
This is what I'm talking about... just like the older models, the newer vehicles are not immune to engine failures and parts defects. There are so many things that can go wrong. But it's good that Ford stands behind their product.

Wsvi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I dont have a Shelby but the exact same thing happened to me in my 19 GT p0301 ,it had a miss at idle that the dealership thought was a bad plug ,nope, down on compression 10% in that cylinder. They then said it needed a new head that didn't fix it either so now it's getting a new engine. It's been at the dealer since Dec. 16th.

Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
This is just me thinking out loud (or typing while thinking), but as K4fxd alluded to above, the 350 and 500 were/are real high performance production sports cars. And by real I just mean they weren't a kitted up or special edition GT, they were specifically designed to live at the pointy end of the spear and compete with genuine sports cars worldwide.

It's the first time in a while that 'lower priced' Ford production cars (by lower priced I mean not a Ford GT) were really giving stick to Euro high performance cars from factory, in the ability to compete in both straight lines and around corners, but have streetability.

Now I'm not excusing certain issues that may not have been addressed, and I really feel for the OP and anyone else who is/has or will have to go through this. It would be really depressing and I feel for you. That said, I just have this feeling that these types of vehicles that are built to live at 9/10th's have a higher rate of failures. You see it in all the high performance cars, such as the GT3's, M3's, R8's etc, which all have their issues that you wouldn't expect in a daily Camry, and I guarantee you'd see it A LOT more in most supercars if they were driven as often as GT350's and GT500's.

Now again I'm not excusing the handling of warranty claims, I'm not telling anyone to suck it up and I'm definitely not excusing the lack of information from Ford regarding certain consistent issues (which I hope will be released one day), but maybe we as a whole just aren't used to 'a mustang' living in the same category as genuine high performance sports cars, which lets be honest, just started with the 350 5 years ago. And unfortunately these vehicles historically come with multiple failures along the way.

🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
pinchme54

pinchme54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I dont have a Shelby but the exact same thing happened to me in my 19 GT p0301 ,it had a miss at idle that the dealership thought was a bad plug ,nope, down on compression 10% in that cylinder. They then said it needed a new head that didn't fix it either so now it's getting a new engine. It's been at the dealer since Dec. 16th.
Sad. They just finished installing my new engine. Lets hope that solves the issue. Good luck.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Sad. They just finished installing my new engine. Lets hope that solves the issue. Good luck.
Good luck to you, hope all is well after this. Good thing is there are a lot of 2020 GT500s with miles and have been driven very hard without issue. While we have seen some issues, those are the ones we've seen reported, we do not hear from all the people without the issues.

At least Ford is making an effort to back the product even if the times are taking longer which, is to be expected with any first year car. When you're at this level of power, it's one of those things where the risk for failures is higher.

Also, what is your chassis number? I heard there was a batch of bad transmissions which are affecting the GT500 and C8 and have been trying to hunt down engine/transmission issues to see if the chassis numbers have any common range.

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
wow that’s a long time brother I’m proud owner of 2020 GT500 not any issues with but am sorry to hear about your Situation I’ve had same issue with 2018 GT301A 10r80 and on the 31th day being in dealer garage I was offered buyback auto pay every pennie back

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Mine has barely 600 miles, things happen so don't worry. There are plenty of people running around who drive them hard with 0 issues. Good thing is that Ford is standing behind their product.

Does it make me a bit nervous? Yes however, at least if your car is stock it will get taken care of. This is not uncommon on any car, especially high powered cars.

OP, hope things get better for you.
Sponsored