Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT350 Engine Replacement (Dropped Valve)

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Yawnnn.... Are you a craftsman collector by chance, if not you should be.

The coyote's are not dropping valves.

The GT350's are.

What is different? It's pretty obvious. There is some kind of harmonic from the flat plane crank that is causing the failures. Instead of fixing it Ford is replacing engines.

IF IT WERE ME, I'd ask for a PREDATOR engine or a coyote, if that is not an option I'd trade the car.
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Ford advocates and defenders can attack my motives all they like. It will not phase me because I'm advocating for a just cause. My motive is simple: I want to defend my right the rights of those who got a fundamentally defective car for their hard earned money and the current resolution is leaving them at a big disadvantage. If an engine failure of a brand new, expensive car in less than a month of gentle driving or within a few hundred miles is not outrageous, I don't know what is.
Ignore them, go for it. It will only benefit the consumer just be prepared for an uphill battle. As someone that is already involved in a class action lawsuit (filed in 2018) it is a long and slow process.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

The GT350's are.

What is different? It's pretty obvious. There is some kind of harmonic from the flat plane crank that is causing the failures. Instead of fixing it Ford is replacing engines.

IF IT WERE ME, I'd ask for a PREDATOR engine or a coyote, if that is not an option I'd trade the car.
coyote engine failure - YouTube

Enjoy that little treat. From engines, to ticks to transmissions.

Glad you figured it out, Ford should hire you.

Ask for a predator or coyote in the 350? I don't think you know how this works.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Ignore them, go for it. It will only benefit the consumer just be prepared for an uphill battle. As someone that is already involved in a class action lawsuit (filed in 2018) it is a long and slow process.
You're wrong. If he goes the hard way (the easy way would be to let them fix the car and move on, either keep it or trade it) - He brings unjustified negative attention in the form of cancel culture (look it up) for the GT350. Yes, right now I plan to keep my car for a while so I can say that I'm not worried about depreciation - but I know me - sometimes I decide to do something new...First, it's not going to end in a successful class action, not a chance - so that means negative attention for baseless claims based on him being angry. If by some nutty miracle, a class action was awarded, he would get a new engine (LOL - which will be had either way!) or a few dollars and that would NOT outcompete the depreciation a suit might bring to every GT350 out there. What a prick move that would be.

Point is, Ford didn't promise anything different. Does it suck, yes but they will warranty it. Say your prayers that they dont get it in time or something is still wrong with it when you get it back, then get rid of it, please.

Edited to say @RPDBlueMoon - I didn't mean to be as abrasive as "you're wrong" - I meant is as - there's a different way to look at it... I guess that's always the case ;)

Last edited:

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
My 350 was awesome for the four years I owned it. Slight oil consumption and build quality was good. Panel alignment was a little off near the headlights and trunk. All in all a great 4 years. Was I nervous about going past the 5th year of powertrain warranty, hell yes. I try not to believe everything I read but when I parted ways with mine there were 7 used on the market in my area. Four of them had engine replacements.
That being said if the car had crapped an engine in the first few hundred miles I would have raised hell, let Ford fix it and then dropped it like a hot potato and moved on.
I think its easy for most (not all) on here to act like they wouldn't be livid if they lost a motor early...until it happens to them.

Sponsored

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got to watch Ford vs Ferrari movie. Just wondering if the head of the GT350 line is Leo Beebe... Ford not buying back cars or fixing the known valve issues in these engines.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
My 350 was awesome for the four years I owned it. Slight oil consumption and build quality was good. Panel alignment was a little off near the headlights and trunk. All in all a great 4 years. Was I nervous about going past the 5th year of powertrain warranty, hell yes. I try not to believe everything I read but when I parted ways with mine there were 7 used on the market in my area. Four of them had engine replacements.
That being said if the car had crapped an engine in the first few hundred miles I would have raised hell, let Ford fix it and then dropped it like a hot potato and moved on.
I think its easy for most (not all) on here to act like they wouldn't be livid if they lost a motor early...until it happens to them.
Oh, I'd be upset for sure and I empathize with anyone who has to go through it. I'm on my 2nd R and both have been fine (first @12k miles and this one less than 1k so far ;0 ). I'd never say to not to be upset...I'm mainly commenting on people who 1 - think they know exactly the problem and 2 - insist that every car has the exact same issues as they do and 3 - insist that everyone be angry along with them...all without any good data but just emotions to roll with. I get it but a little common sense and patience goes a long way.

Slightly off topic but not really...watched some TV the other night about people who cant afford to even heat their homes...puts it in perspective and makes me think hard about the things us enthusiasts worry about and argue about. Crazy.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I finally got to watch Ford vs Ferrari movie. Just wondering if the head of the GT350 line is Leo Beebe... Ford not buying back cars or fixing the known valve issues in these engines.
See guys ^^^ this is what you perpetuate when you break out your shade tree engineering degrees. You have this guy convinced that there are "know valve issues". Hilarious. Someone, somewhere said there was a single bad batch of valves last YEAR and it's automatically that, lol. I'm curious to learn about the actual failure points of some of these are...because I've heard dropped valve, broken valve, broken timing chain, siezed cam(s)...All of these can easily be the effect and not the cause of a different problem. I want to take a look at these OPGs ;)

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Agreed Jeff. Definitely not directed towards you. Directed towards those who seem to brush the issue off as if it were not a big deal. It’s a great car and I was fortunate enough to enjoy 4 trouble free years with one.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You guys crack me up.

As far as engineering, you don't know if I graduated from MIT or if I'm a 20 year old living in my mommies basement.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Read your posts. It’s evident.

You guys crack me up.

As far as engineering, you don't know if I graduated from MIT or if I'm a 20 year old living in my mommies basement.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I do read my posts and if the information is good so is my hypothesis.

If the Voodoo is having valve train issues at a higher rate than the Coyote it must be due to the crankshaft.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Supposedly one of Smokey's Indy car engines.

Flat crank small block chivie.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

The GT350's are.

My friend 17 gtpp dropped a valve and totaled the engine 2 months ago on a track
Engine had 20k miles and was already his 2nd one
Car is at dealer having engine number 3 installed. All under warranty

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
At least Ford is taking care of it's customers.

I'd like to know the percentage of coyote vs voodoo engines that have valve train failures.

hypothesis means needs further investigation.
Sponsored