Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT350 Engine Replacement (Dropped Valve)

RH14GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Good Evening,

I am posting in regards to my 2020 GT350 which I purchased brand new in October 2020. Background information: I am mechanically inclined with 2 years of automotive schooling and more years tinkering and building previous mustangs.

After finally deciding to buy a GT350 (especially since this is the last production year) my GT350 is currently receiving an engine replacement. I have had the car since October, followed the break in procedures specifically laid out in the Mustang Supplement guide. The car currently has 1047 Miles and has never seen over 7500RPM's.

While driving the vehicle, at about 30MPH I lost all power and the car began throwing CEL's and rapidly producing a loud metal on metal knocking sound. With just enough time to get off an off ramp the car stalled. I had the car towed to the local Ford dealership and contacted the Ford Hotline the same day. I had already knew the engine would need a replacement and the dealer confirmed this the next day when they pulled the spark plug on Cylinder #8 and saw damage. After a full DIAG it was confirmed that the car had dropped a valve and it would need a complete engine replacement.

After contacting the Ford Hotline I informed them that I would be pursuing a buyback or full vehicle replacement as it is completely unacceptable to have paid the amount of money that I did for this car, to only have it blow a motor before I even make my second payment on the car. I was contacted by the Regional Customer Service manager who opened a case and informed me that a good faith review would need to take place prior to any decisions about a vehicle buy back being done. The car has been at the dealership for roughly 9 business days and the new engine has just arrived. I had a follow up with the regional customer service rep today who just informed me that the good faith review was finished and that they had denied the request.

I am certain this is due to the fact that it technically has not met the state lemon law requirements for Massachusetts. Although one provision of the law states that if the vehicle is under repair for 15 business days then it will automatically fall into the lemon category.

I am hoping by posting this I will maybe gain some information from others who are or were in a similar situation with their GT350's. I am very frustrated with the entire situation and do not feel that an engine replacement is fair at all considering the value you lose off the car once it is done. Especially since to some buyers, having a numbers matching car is a big deal, I understand other buyers may not care about the numbers. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Did you buy the car as an investment or to drive? Personally I'd be happy if the engine replacement was done properly and the car worked from then on.

Vehicle value after an engine replacement isn't going to be nearly as big of a deal as people think it will in 10 years. They made thousands of these cars.

Last edited:

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
There are a few of these threads, nearly every failure is related to a valve failing within the first 2,000 miles. A simple search will get you all of the information you can stand. Everyone says the exact same thing.

Engine blows, they want full refund and the car is now worthless, Ford sucks, gonna buy a new BMW and more hair gel. Ford declines to buy the car back 99% of the time, you can argue and get 7 years, 100,000 miles on the drivetrain fairly easily according to most folks.

Within a few weeks, you still hate the car and want to sell it here for 20% over retail and no one will buy it, then you get mad. GT350's suck, blah, blah, blah, blah. Guys with no issues are liars and bastards, etc,etc,etc,etc.

If you can live with a 7 year, 100,000 mile complete drivetrain warranty, you will be fine and the warranty is transferable so the car is fine for resale when you sell it next summer anyway.

OR, you actually like the GT350, new engine purrs like a kitten and you do another break-in and get on with life, drive it for several years and enjoy the car. If you bought the car as an "investment" that was a sorry idea unless you plan on owning it for 50 years and not driving it. If you bought it to enjoy, it will depreciate slower than a common GT or Bullit. Almost no one makes money on a new car resold in the first 20 years of its life.

Anyway, get them to extend the warranty, 7 years and 100K miles and enjoy life. You can break a ton of engines on their dime in the next few years.

OP
OP

RH14GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
There are a few of these threads, nearly every failure is related to a valve failing within the first 2,000 miles. A simple search will get you all of the information you can stand. Everyone says the exact same thing.

Engine blows, they want full refund and the car is now worthless, Ford sucks, gonna buy a new BMW and more hair gel. Ford declines to buy the car back 99% of the time, you can argue and get 7 years, 100,000 miles on the drivetrain fairly easily according to most folks.

Within a few weeks, you still hate the car and want to sell it here for 20% over retail and no one will buy it, then you get mad. GT350's suck, blah, blah, blah, blah. Guys with no issues are liars and bastards, etc,etc,etc,etc.

If you can live with a 7 year, 100,000 mile complete drivetrain warranty, you will be fine and the warranty is transferable so the car is fine for resale when you sell it next summer anyway.

OR, you actually like the GT350, new engine purrs like a kitten and you do another break-in and get on with life, drive it for several years and enjoy the car. If you bought the car as an "investment" that was a sorry idea unless you plan on owning it for 50 years and not driving it. If you bought it to enjoy, it will depreciate slower than a common GT or Bullit. Almost no one makes money on a new car resold in the first 20 years of its life.

Anyway, get them to extend the warranty, 7 years and 100K miles and enjoy life. You can break a ton of engines on their dime in the next few years.
I definitely appreciate the information. I completely understand that this will not make the car worthless. In all fairness, it is mostly the principal and the fact that I have a brand new vehicle which had just received paint correction ceramic coat etc. with 1000 miles needing an engine replacement. And although the value is not completely ruined, it is a well known fact that the car will lose value because of this. the car is not an investment, but its also something that could play a role in the future if selling the car is something I would like to pursue in 3-5 years from now. It simply just does not make sense to be okay with losing whatever amount of money is lost from having the repair done. This is becoming a pretty wide spread issue among these cars and something should be/should have been done about it. I think a lot of people share in the same point of view that part of the break in procedure with a GT350 should not include a possible engine replacement

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Massachusetts. Hah!

I bought my car from there, and when I also tried to do a buy back(car has spent a total of 6+months in the shop. Most of that was still within the 3yr bumper to bumper), that's when I found out MA lemon laws are a joke compared to California. Lemon laws of original state of purchase applies. Only way I could get a GT350 for MSRP back in 2016.

Anyways, car is practically brand new powertrain wise at this point. Still enjoying the car. Hopefully it's clear blue skies from here on out.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I definitely appreciate the information. I completely understand that this will not make the car worthless. In all fairness, it is mostly the principal and the fact that I have a brand new vehicle which had just received paint correction ceramic coat etc. with 1000 miles needing an engine replacement. And although the value is not completely ruined, it is a well known fact that the car will lose value because of this. the car is not an investment, but its also something that could play a role in the future if selling the car is something I would like to pursue in 3-5 years from now. It simply just does not make sense to be okay with losing whatever amount of money is lost from having the repair done. This is becoming a pretty wide spread issue among these cars and something should be/should have been done about it. I think a lot of people share in the same point of view that part of the break in procedure with a GT350 should not include a possible engine replacement
I get that it's annoying, but given it's somewhat common it won't hurt you individually as much as you might think. It would be much better if it didn't fail, yes, but I just don't see how getting an entirely new car for the trouble makes sense, given you'll have to polish and ceramic coat that one too.

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
get it fixed drive the piss out of it and enjoy it.
THAT'S MONEY DUDE!!!!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It simply just does not make sense to be okay with losing whatever amount of money is lost from having the repair done.
you are not a true believer. Please turn in your Shelby card. :)

A 2-3 grand lower price (if honestly even that much) on re-sale shouldn't matter. There are "so many" of these infant mortality observations such that buyers will expect the engine will have been replaced. If anything I'd be worried about trying to sell an out of power-train warranty GT350 with it's original engine and low miles, for any kind of money since by then everyone will know it's a bomb just waiting to go off. :)

In case you get stuck, I'll buy it for a dollar.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I am certain this is due to the fact that it technically has not met the state lemon law requirements for Massachusetts.
On OP's avatar location is NC. Why state lemon law requirements for Massachusetts?
Did you buy your car in MA?

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver
Vehicle value after an engine replacement isn't going to be nearly as big of a deal as people think it will in 10 years. They made thousands of these cars.
For the R's, numbers matching engine will matter to collectors. In 20 years it will be worse. They only made around 3500 of the GT350Rs. That is on par with the 2005 Ford GT and the Dodge Demon. Both are special cars and are collectable. The only way the 350R doesn't become collectable in the future is if they bring out another GT350 and use the same FPC engine.

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Good Evening,

I am posting in regards to my 2020 GT350 which I purchased brand new in October 2020. Background information: I am mechanically inclined with 2 years of automotive schooling and more years tinkering and building previous mustangs.

After finally deciding to buy a GT350 (especially since this is the last production year) my GT350 is currently receiving an engine replacement. I have had the car since October, followed the break in procedures specifically laid out in the Mustang Supplement guide. The car currently has 1047 Miles and has never seen over 7500RPM's.

While driving the vehicle, at about 30MPH I lost all power and the car began throwing CEL's and rapidly producing a loud metal on metal knocking sound. With just enough time to get off an off ramp the car stalled. I had the car towed to the local Ford dealership and contacted the Ford Hotline the same day. I had already knew the engine would need a replacement and the dealer confirmed this the next day when they pulled the spark plug on Cylinder #8 and saw damage. After a full DIAG it was confirmed that the car had dropped a valve and it would need a complete engine replacement.

After contacting the Ford Hotline I informed them that I would be pursuing a buyback or full vehicle replacement as it is completely unacceptable to have paid the amount of money that I did for this car, to only have it blow a motor before I even make my second payment on the car. I was contacted by the Regional Customer Service manager who opened a case and informed me that a good faith review would need to take place prior to any decisions about a vehicle buy back being done. The car has been at the dealership for roughly 9 business days and the new engine has just arrived. I had a follow up with the regional customer service rep today who just informed me that the good faith review was finished and that they had denied the request.

I am certain this is due to the fact that it technically has not met the state lemon law requirements for Massachusetts. Although one provision of the law states that if the vehicle is under repair for 15 business days then it will automatically fall into the lemon category.

I am hoping by posting this I will maybe gain some information from others who are or were in a similar situation with their GT350's. I am very frustrated with the entire situation and do not feel that an engine replacement is fair at all considering the value you lose off the car once it is done. Especially since to some buyers, having a numbers matching car is a big deal, I understand other buyers may not care about the numbers. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
I get it, this must be aggravating. I purchased a new 2020 Ram Ecodiesel and at 1200 miles it had a egr system problem that had the truck in the shop for 20+ days due to parts being on backorder. I was frustrated that my brand new truck that is essentially my small business office was now down. Fast forward to day 22, the truck runs beautiful and I am happy with my purchase. Ford has a brand new engine at the dealer for you within 9-days that isn't bad service.

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I came from the 2003 Cobra world when that was still king. IMO the GT350 is deja vu all over again.

Cult following with some engine niggles/scares/forum lore and sold in similar great numbers ~20k. The 03 Cobras were prone to the infamous tick and too small a PTW especially during long high speed runs (everyone remember the head cooling mod?). The 03 Cobras were never really worth any major $$ but they held their value well. IMO the GT350 will be in the same boat.

If it helps you I bought my 2003 Cobra with a warranty replaced engine for ~$20k in 2009 w/40k miles. New sticker was $36k. Average used price at the time. Missing wrist pin at <100miles. The previous owner ended up pulling the same engine to put in some upgraded ARP hardware and some other goodies. I had no concern whatsoever that the engine has been out a couple times.. neither did ever get the tick. It was just a nice car rather than an investment. Seems like a lot more folks wrenched/mod'd those cars than the current market today.

My humble opinion but the typical 350 owner/market does not modify their cars even remotely to the extent of the old days. I'm guessing it's due to the price of these cars and the more modern market in general. Even the GT crowd seems a little less apt to wrench on their own.

Anyways point is. The 350 is another 03 cobra. It'll be a 30-40k car in a couple years similar to the 03 cobra in terms of inflation. Just a nice car to me that holds value well. The current market has morphed into more of a show car type atmosphere. As soon as warranty is up for me next year I'll have the IRS and engine torn apart. If the engine goes it's not that big of a deal for me to drop it and send it off to the machine shop to make it better. Just me tho... Mechanically they aren't all that different and honestly less of a PITA to pull apart than the old SN95s.

DSCF2593.jpg

20111112_203427.jpg

Last edited:

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
Yeah mine blew up too. The 2020 engines definitely had a serious parts flaw in the valvetrain. Ford knows, they won't say anything. Years from now we will know what stupidity caused all this.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I would never trust a dealership to replace an engine in a car like this.......FORD made mistakes with this engine and should supply a new car or refund...IMHO!!:sunglasses:

The local dealership I bought my car from couldn't even change the oil right.........I drove 35 miles home with 8 quarts in a 10 quart pan........IDIOTS ABOUND!!:curse:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I get that it's annoying, but given it's somewhat common it won't hurt you individually as much as you might think. It would be much better if it didn't fail, yes, but I just don't see how getting an entirely new car for the trouble makes sense, given you'll have to polish and ceramic coat that one too.
YES ^

Op: how about this thought, get another car it could have even worse problems. Say electrical, a mechanical problem is much easier to correct.

Cheers.
Sponsored