Sponsored

2020+ Normal for two exhaust tips to be much darker?

Matermine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I’ve noticed the inside two exhaust tips are much dirtier/darker than the outside two. Is this considered normal? Obviously the quad tip is legit, just makes it look like a dual tip exhaust that had two more tips glued on. 99% of the time in track mode exhaust, if that matters.
Are the active exhaust valves on all four tips? After watching the Borla video, it seems they’re only on the inside, which would explain those two tips being darker/dirtier, since they’re open all the time
Sponsored

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I’ve noticed the inside two exhaust tips are much dirtier/darker than the outside two. Is this considered normal? Obviously the quad tip is legit, just makes it look like a dual tip exhaust that had two more tips glued on. 99% of the time in track mode exhaust, if that matters.
Are the active exhaust valves on all four tips? After watching the Borla video, it seems they’re only on the inside, which would explain those two tips being darker/dirtier, since they’re open all the time
I believe they are just on the 2 outer ones if I recall correctly when I was peaking into the pipes on mine the one day (Mach 1 not GT500). Could be on the inner however, but pretty sure they're only on 2 and not all 4. I will take another peak when I leave work and post when I get home or before I head home though if you'd like me to verify.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
So do you have Borla exhaust?

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Yep inner 2 is darker on mine too, and the more you run on track or sport the darker it will be as the valves are only opening on the inner pipes.

Melmark93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Kona/White stripes, 93 MarkVIII Vortech, 94 Mark VIII, 13 MKS Ecoboost
I just checked on my 500, exhaust valves are only on the inner 2 exhaust tips.

Sponsored

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
My stock exhaust is just the two inner are darker. I only drive in Sport Mode (no drag no track mode)

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I actually polish the inside of my tips, they are the same color.

Richard

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I stick to Track Exhaust, it's the only time both sides of the mufflers are completely open. I figure why restrict flow?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
I stick to Track Exhaust, it's the only time both sides of the muffler are completely open. I figure why restrict flow?
Interesting I did not know that. So is that the difference between Sport, Track an Drag exhaust? I typically drive the car in sport mode with sport exhaust but may have to switch that to Track exhaust.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Yep Bob, that's the difference, one valve per side. In Quiet, both valves close completely cutting off half the exhaust by closing one valve per muffler. The other Exhaust modes are just versions of this where the valve on each side opens slightly more until full open at Track.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Someone posted a video recently with a camera watching the valves during each mode. They constantly move depending on rpm and load. Even in quiet mode they do not stay fully closed, they just start that way at idle. Each increase in mode opens the valves a little more at idle but they still move under acceleration. Bottom line, the valves are always moving depending on rpm and load regardless of what mode you’re in.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
Someone posted a video recently with a camera watching the valves during each mode. They constantly move depending on rpm and load. Even in quiet mode they do not stay fully closed, they just start that way at idle. Each increase in mode opens the valves a little more at idle but they still move under acceleration. Bottom line, the valves are always moving depending on rpm and load regardless of what mode you’re in.
Exactly. This was explained to me by Shelby American as to why my 2020 GT500 was black flagged at Portland International Raceway for 106 DB, no matter what setting I was at. Engine performance will temporarily override any exhaust setting.

Interestingly, my 2021 GT500 has never exceeded any track decibel restriction.

RR

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is the video that I have seen showing the operation on the standard GT :

WD :like:
Sponsored