Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Sadly, its no surprise considering the GT350 didn't come here (officially) either. And I'm sure Ford could get it to meet emissions standards, but I expect they just can't justify the costs for what would be just a few hundred sales.

Still, there are already plenty of previous gen GT500s over here that have been personally imported so I expect we'll see a handful make their way over here as an individual import, once they start to hit the second hand market.

:)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As I said.........Ford could get it to meet emissions standards, but they won't because the cost of any changes required over and above the US-specs just wouldn't be worth it for a few sales.

Not mentioned here, but it would also have to pass EU Pedestrian Safety regs.........the EU S550s come with an "active" hood that pops up in the event of a collision with a pedestrian. More $$$ Ford don't want to spend.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Audi, Porsche, Pagani, McLaren, Mercedes, etcetera all seem to have no problem releasing cars in Europe. If the GT500 can meet CARB standards, how is it failing in Europe when this is allowed to be sold?
d99f75b803cda0444bcde2f3311f2098.jpg
Every car you mentioned originates in Europe, no export issues given EU market. Also, all those manufacturers mentioned have cars that sell north of $200k save for Porsche which you could get a 718 or 911 base. At those premiums, the return is likely better since we're talking super cars. Lastly, VW owns most of the brands (Audi, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.) and can spread the cost of certification due to economy of scale. Ford likely doesn't see the benefit for certifying one car with a very limited run to begin with. They will sell far more in the US to make up for lack of exposure in Europe for the GT500.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Interesting that Ford would ship the 500 to the Middle East. Wonder what, if any, regulations they have. One thing they have is plenty of $$$$.
Sponsored