Sponsored

2020 Mustang news

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
What do you guys think about the possible addition to the mustang line up? Apparently Ford is adding another 2.3T to the line that will deliver more power than the current one but less than the V8, price wise somewhere in the middle. Power wise it would surpass the the 335 hp in the camaro v6 but would not exceed the 350 hp in the Focus RS. I'm very excited about getting a more powerful 2.3T option.

However I think they should just KEEP one option and just UP the power but, that could also imply a bigger price tag, so I guess that's why there would be a second option....

350hp+350tq+10 AT and some weight loss would be AWESOME!

OPINION: If this second option DOES come to fruition would it sell better than the current 310 hp?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm betting, if it's in the middle, it's gonna be around 360hp and 375tq. MSRP around 31k

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
What about a "PP2" for the Eco along with it? Increases the value proposition if they're upping the price while still maintaining a more base model.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
What about a "PP2" for the Eco along with it? Increases the value proposition if they're upping the price while still maintaining a more base model.
According to the regulatory filing, it’s not a new option package. Rather, it’s a different powertrain option.

In my view, it doesn’t make any business sense to offer a second 2.3T that’s just a relatively small bump in horsepower/torque from the existing 2.3T. You could get there with a tune anyways - presumably for much less $$$.

My money is on Ford announcing a ‘mild hybrid’ version of the 2.3T. Something along the lines of the powertrain described in this article:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...s-have-400bhp-425lb-ft-mild-hybrid-powertrain

By the way, if I’m right, I’ll be absolutely beside myself and first in line to buy one. (Mrs. derkluge just signed off on buying one if it’s announced this Spring. Woot!)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
According to the regulatory filing, it’s not a new option package. Rather, it’s a different powertrain option.
I'm talking about a combo deal where it ties the higher power to a better suspension setup. Keeps the separation of the base Ecoboost.

The hybrid a la the Aviator would be nice and incorporated right into the A10, plus I'd assume you could still tune the same as you would before so the bonuses from the hybrid motor built into the transmission would still be there.

Sponsored

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
I'm talking about a combo deal where it ties the higher power to a better suspension setup. Keeps the separation of the base Ecoboost.

The hybrid a la the Aviator would be nice and incorporated right into the A10, plus I'd assume you could still tune the same as you would before so the bonuses from the hybrid motor built into the transmission would still be there.
Got it and totally agree. Absent a hybrid version of the 2.3T, that’s the only way this makes sense. Perhaps they’d label it as a ‘special edition’ Ecoboost like the Bullitt.

By the way, it’s a bit of a rabbit hole looking into Ford’s development of mild hybrid technology and the the benefits of mild hybrid systems (i.e., most of the benefit of a full hybrid system, but much lighter/cheaper/easier to incorporate).

At the end of this article, there’s a quote on the development of an Ecoboost-type hybrid for the Mustang with "V8 power and even more low-end torque":
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...n-2020-f-150-ev-under-development-131892.html

Last edited:

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
kind of a kick in the plums if you want to buy a '19 if it ends up having different internals

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
kind of a kick in the plums if you want to buy a '19 if it ends up having different internals
I dunno. If I were more rational, I could easily talk myself into getting a '19 to avoid any production/engineering issues that often pop up in first model years. Hopefully, by now, the biggest issues have been worked out in the '19's.

...But I'm not rational (or patient) and I want the new-tech, no-compromise, hybrid Ecoboost that has ridiculous torque at all the right places in the powerband and gets pretty decent city gas mileage to boot. I guess I'm willing to live with any warranty issues that pop up, *sigh*. God help me if the hybrid Mustang isn't announced until 2020 (for the 2021 model year).

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
The 2020 GT500 will now have a rotary gear selector. I've driven other Fords with this. It's "okay", even in a full size SUV. Just doesn't seem right in a performance car. I wonder if it will carry over to the rest of the Mustang lineup.

img-933864304-1547480591175.jpg

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Interesting article from Motor Trend about a 2020 Hybrid Mustang-

The Mustang Hybrid's powertrain will be more efficient than a V-8 but—Ford claims—will deliver V-8 power and "even more low-end torque." To make this possible, the Blue Oval will likely use a traditional hybrid system consisting of an electric motor sandwiched between the gasoline engine and the transmission. The EcoBoost 2.3-liter turbo-four will likely be the gasoline engine of choice and could be tuned to produce more than the 310 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque it currently makes. The current 10-speed automatic could back the hybrid powertrain instead of a CVT, which is what you find in many hybrids.

More here -

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-hybrid-what-to-expect/

Sponsored
OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Interesting article from Motor Trend about a 2020 Hybrid Mustang-

The Mustang Hybrid's powertrain will be more efficient than a V-8 but—Ford claims—will deliver V-8 power and "even more low-end torque." To make this possible, the Blue Oval will likely use a traditional hybrid system consisting of an electric motor sandwiched between the gasoline engine and the transmission. The EcoBoost 2.3-liter turbo-four will likely be the gasoline engine of choice and could be tuned to produce more than the 310 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque it currently makes. The current 10-speed automatic could back the hybrid powertrain instead of a CVT, which is what you find in many hybrids.

More here -

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-hybrid-what-to-expect/
Very interesting. I really hope they do stick with the 10 speed for the hybrid instead of a CVT.
Could it be that maybe the hybrid will MATCH the v8 in performance but be the "efficient" one? I think it would sell very well.
I hope they up the power to the current ecoboost that would become the base one to 350 hp , then bring the hybrid to match the v8 performance but be the option for those who dont want all that fuel consumption..

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i doubt the manual will get the hybrid option. it was good planning on fords part to be able to use the hybrid system across several vehicles that use the 10 speed. i assume they designed in the space for the hybrid system inside the 10 speed when they were designing it several years ago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clive
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the standard 2020 Mustangs will have the same front-end design as the 2020 GT350/GT500, or will it just be the usual minor cosmetic change ?

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
2020 front end of the GT500 is based on what they built for the GT350, so honestly I doubt it, Id say we get another refresh though.

But all we have is speculation, someone else can say yes for sure, and none of know whos right
Sponsored